• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 22-? Severe weather

MNstorms

Big worry for tomorrow...I don't think there will be a chance for a cap bust given the linear forcing along the advancing cold front, but high clouds and cruddy moisture could make it a highly isolated event. RAP once again returning junk moisture...has substantial CAP that even cold front would have trouble lifting parcels through. Even then LCL-LFC RH going to be very low...interesting to see how tomorrow unfolds. Tor threat minimal it seems, but then weirder things have happened.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the answer, that was a good explanation, so one more question, if I can. If cape values were around 2000, what would happen to the EHI values, would they grow at a steady pace, or would they grow exponentially?

No problem.

I think the formula is 0-x km EHI = C * (0 - x km SHR) * ( MLCAPE)

where C is a normalizing constant.

so if you increase CAPE from say 1000 to 2000 j/kg, you double EHI values. The fractional increase in EHI is proportional to the fractional increase in CAPE.

- John

00z ECMWF came in much drier...suggestive of a very inhibiting cap. If ECMWF/RAP are right...dewpoint pooling near the warm front will keep threat farther N along the Canadian border into northern ND.

Baro, what are your thoughts on a strong to severe MCS moving across southern MB tonight? From what I see, things are looking really good up here. Warm front is nearby with 1,500-2,000 J/KG of MUCAPE by late evening and overnight.

No problem.

I think the formula is 0-x km EHI = C * (0 - x km SHR) * ( MLCAPE)

where C is a normalizing constant.

so if you increase CAPE from say 1000 to 2000 j/kg, you double EHI values. The fractional increase in EHI is proportional to the fractional increase in CAPE.

- John

Yep, with C = 1/160,000. Since J/kg == m2/s2, doubling either of them doubles the EHI following a linear relationship with both SRH and CAPE essentially having the "same" units.

Tornado watch issued for ND.

TORNADO WATCH 290 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM CDT FOR THE

FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

NDC003-005-009-013-015-023-027-031-039-043-049-055-057-059-061-

063-065-069-071-075-079-083-093-095-101-103-105-230400-

/O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0290.120522T2105Z-120523T0400Z/

ND

. NORTH DAKOTA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BARNES BENSON BOTTINEAU

BURKE BURLEIGH DIVIDE

EDDY FOSTER GRIGGS

KIDDER MCHENRY MCLEAN

MERCER MORTON MOUNTRAIL

NELSON OLIVER PIERCE

RAMSEY RENVILLE ROLETTE

SHERIDAN STUTSMAN TOWNER

WARD WELLS WILLIAMS

$$

The 12z/18z GFS both look great for the later week threat, FWIW...

Looks like an interesting weekend is possible for the plains maybe eastward. Parameters look decent and some nice dryline bulges too. My only concern would me maybe the dewpoints/moisture moisture being overdone considering the East Coast ridging in place during that time frame? Gonna try to wait for some more consistency before I get too exited, but it looks promising. Bears watching over the next few days.

Looks like an interesting weekend is possible for the plains maybe eastward. Parameters look decent and some nice dryline bulges too. My only concern would me maybe the dewpoints/moisture moisture being overdone considering the East Coast ridging in place during that time frame? Gonna try to wait for some more consistency before I get too exited, but it looks promising. Bears watching over the next few days.

East coast ridging is usually good for moisture return into the Plains...

East coast ridging is usually good for moisture return into the Plains...

True east coast ridging good, Midwest ridging with a height weakness along the southeast coast not so much.

The GFS and Euro still manage to pull >65 F Td's into SE SD by Saturday afternoon, at least.

00z GFS continues a good looking trend for the weekend, with a non-thermonuclear cap on both days.

I don't know about that, check out how warm the 700mb temps are, in my own chasing experience tthroughout the years once you get into those double digits there is a very high probability of a cap bust.

Archived