EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
May 22-? Severe weather

MNstorms

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reed is very good at playing to his audience. tho it does get annoying as someone who is not facebook level weather smart. however, we've seen plenty of model runs that if verified would likely be a tornado outbreak on some level. so in that sense...

From the ECMWF courtesy of OK ST. Can anyone spell Death Ridge...If this verifies the biggest weather story for this thread would be the extreme heat as we approach Memorial Day. With possible 100° temps around the Sioux Falls area. I hate to show this, but it is what it is, looks like many of us will be watering our lawns, mother nature may not give us much.

ecmwf_500mb_wind_f168.gif

From the ECMWF courtesy of OK ST. Can anyone spell Death Ridge...If this verifies the biggest weather story for this thread would be the extreme heat as we approach Memorial Day. With possible 100° temps around the Sioux Falls area. I hate to show this, but it is what it is, looks like many of us will be watering our lawns, mother nature may not give us much.

Uhh, that isn't the timeframe where the main energy comes through (at least for your area with the initial wave, which has a less chance of being stopped in its tracks by the ridge). I do agree that the situation with the second embedded impulse is becoming bleaker with each model run.

Andy, I agree with what you said, by hour 150 or so things look interesting just north to the TC's metro say around St Cloud and areas north of there, storms could initiate between 1 and 7pm just ahead of the advancing warm front, in other words a favorable time of day for severe, having said that, its really way to early to talk spec's, some will call it wish casting, some would call it irresponsible. However I will be more blunt, this is what the model is showing as of this time, chances of that verifying verbatim are almost zero. But it will be interesting to watch IMO.

ecmwf_500mb_wind_f168.gif

Uh... that's not a death ridge buddy...

This is a death ridge:

500_110717_12.gif

I'm interested in the triple point in ND on Tuesday night. Looks like 0-1 and especially 0-3km wind profiles will be really nice between 0z and 6z, with decent deep layer shear and instability. The past few NAM runs have been consistently popping off convection up here (as well as some of the high resolution runs). I'm a bit concerned about high MLLCL heights, but as we saw yesterday, this isn't always an event-killer, and it looks like there will be at least a small region in ND where they are reasonable.

NAM_221_2012052018_F54_EHI_3000_M.png

NAM_221_2012052018_F54_CIN_90_0_MB_ABOVE_GROUND.png

NAM_221_2012052018_F54_CREF_SURFACE.png

NAM_221_2012052018_F54_HGT_LEVEL_OF_ADIABATIC_CONDENSATION_FROM_SFC.png

Are we using this thread for this now? I'll end the 17th and on thread on the 22nd if necessary, only reason I ask is that we had a lot of discussion about this in the other thread as well.

I vote new thread. New system, with a decent break in activity between the two.

Archived