• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 22-? Severe weather

MNstorms

Tuesday shaping up to be a nice chase day across the Northern Plains. GFS was right from a couple days ago...and the warm front will be draped across North Dakota. Lee low becomes mobile late as the 300 hpa jet maxima begins nosing into western Nodak. While GFS dews are likely overdone again...MLCAPE will range from 1500-2500 j/kg with low level SE flow veering around to SW at 50-55 kts, MLLCLs may be a bit high, but should see some impressive supercells likely developing near the triple and propagating along the nose of the LLJ/warm front across eastern Nodak.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday is looking up, synoptically, for a central High Plains show on both the GFS and Euro. Trouble is, neither show particularly good moisture in place, which is rather stunning when you consider it's late May and the Plains will have seen about a week of return flow by that time.

Saturday is looking up, synoptically, for a central High Plains show on both the GFS and Euro. Trouble is, neither show particularly good moisture in place, which is rather stunning when you consider it's late May and the Plains will have seen about a week of return flow by that time.

It isn't bombastic, no doubt, but mid 60s for western NE/Panhandle...which ranges from 3000-4500 feet...isn't bad. Right now...a far more impressive synoptic setup progged by the only two global models worth looking at...it isn't to too shabby compared to two days ago. ECMWF Ensemble is a tick faster and weaker than the EC op...but that isn't surprising. Even ECENS mean would yield something interesting.

Tuesday shaping up to be a nice chase day across the Northern Plains. GFS was right from a couple days ago...and the warm front will be draped across North Dakota. Lee low becomes mobile late as the 300 hpa jet maxima begins nosing into western Nodak. While GFS dews are likely overdone again...MLCAPE will range from 1500-2500 j/kg with low level SE flow veering around to SW at 50-55 kts, MLLCLs may be a bit high, but should see some impressive supercells likely developing near the triple and propagating along the nose of the LLJ/warm front across eastern Nodak.

I think LCLs are too high for much of anything more than a "marginal" tornado threat, but I would have said the same thing two days ago and we saw an EF-3 tornado in KS.

Thermodynamic profiles look pretty similar to the other day, with a bit more deep layer shear and slightly better low-level wind profiles:

NAM_218_2012052106_F42_47.0000N_99.0000W.png

NAM_218_2012052106_F42_47.0000N_99.0000W_HODO_SM.png

My concern is that we'll only have a few hour window of time where MLCAPE is uncapped, and storms will undoubtedly become elevated as the nocturnal LLJ kicks in. My hotels and gas are paid for though, so i'm probably going to bring my group up there.

I think LCLs are too high for much of anything more than a "marginal" tornado threat, but I would have said the same thing two days ago and we saw an EF-3 tornado in KS.

Thermodynamic profiles look pretty similar to the other day, with a bit more deep layer shear and slightly better low-level wind profiles:

NAM_218_2012052106_F42_47.0000N_99.0000W.png

NAM_218_2012052106_F42_47.0000N_99.0000W_HODO_SM.png

My concern is that we'll only have a few hour window of time where MLCAPE is uncapped, and storms will undoubtedly become elevated as the nocturnal LLJ kicks in. My hotels and gas are paid for though, so i'm probably going to bring my group up there.

In total agreement...I wasn't thinking tors either, but I suck at severe forecasting.

I also agree it may be a late show. Latest GFS trying to suggest lee low may become mobile early enough for SB initiation...but it may very well be LLJ/nocturnal induced. Nothing spectacular...but after living up there for so long...you will realize no event up there is a slam dunk.

It isn't bombastic, no doubt, but mid 60s for western NE/Panhandle...which ranges from 3000-4500 feet...isn't bad. Right now...a far more impressive synoptic setup progged by the only two global models worth looking at...it isn't to too shabby compared to two days ago. ECMWF Ensemble is a tick faster and weaker than the EC op...but that isn't surprising. Even ECENS mean would yield something interesting.

If we get dew points of 63-65 F in the NE Panhandle coincident with the kinematics and synoptic chart shown by the Euro, you won't hear any complaining from me. My concern was that moisture throughout the southern/central Plains in general looks unseasonably lacking, so we'd be relying on pooling to some extent to get those numbers. From what I can tell, the Euro has the 60 F isodrosotherm all the way out in eastern NE, only bending back to the High Plains right along the warm front in S SD. Way too early to talk about exact numbers and/or locations, but it's safe to say that moisture isn't looking particularly impressive for late May. Most anytime I can recall chasing the central Plains in the late season, there was a reservoir of 65-70+ F dew points back home (OK/TX) at the time.

Looks like southern Manitoba should be in a good spot for scattered elevated convection tonight through tomorrow night. We'll be in a good spot north of the warm front with a good push of warm air advection and some modest instability.

Best chances will be tomorrow night as the LLJ really gets going.

If we get dew points of 63-65 F in the NE Panhandle coincident with the kinematics and synoptic chart shown by the Euro, you won't hear any complaining from me. My concern was that moisture throughout the southern/central Plains in general looks unseasonably lacking, so we'd be relying on pooling to some extent to get those numbers. From what I can tell, the Euro has the 60 F isodrosotherm all the way out in eastern NE, only bending back to the High Plains right along the warm front in S SD. Way too early to talk about exact numbers and/or locations, but it's safe to say that moisture isn't looking particularly impressive for late May. Most anytime I can recall chasing the central Plains in the late season, there was a reservoir of 65-70+ F dew points back home (OK/TX) at the time.

Are you talking about the Nebraska Panhandle tomorrow or Wednesday?

Yeah I see what you are saying now. The setup itself is dependent upon everything coming together perfectly.

Of course the 12z guidance completely backs off a strong lead wave....slows down the second wave as well and builds in the ridge out east a bit. Fun to watch the sensitivity issues w.r.t. that first wave.

Tomorrow looks marginal to me tornado wise. I'm gonna say that moisture issues are gonna be a repetitive negative factor for setups this week. Models have been so persistent with it too.

i could see it still be an issue tomorrow but i'd be more and more surprised as time goes if it remains a big one.

Gotta love a 984 mb sfc low in late May...

selfishly i have to root it on for the eastern target in the midwest. tho it looks like moisture is still pretty limited with the EC low. overall a pretty stellar run into the long range.. at least it looks active.

selfishly i have to root it on for the eastern target in the midwest. tho it looks like moisture is still pretty limited with the EC low. overall a pretty stellar run into the long range..

Yeah, lots of different systems on that run well into the later ranges.

In terms of long range, i'm not gonna get too optimistic just yet with this run. We got so pumped over this current system, only for it to become pretty lackluster as the time approached. I'm gonna wait until I see some really consistent and synoptically evident major setup in the works before I get too exited. Anything short of that has busted big time since mid April. I bet it will look pretty "meh" as we get closer.

In terms of long range, i'm not gonna get too optimistic just yet with this run. We got so pumped over this current system, only for it to become pretty lackluster as the time approached. I'm gonna wait until I see some really consistent and synoptically evident major setup in the works before I get too exited. Anything short of that has busted big time since mid April. I bet it will look pretty "meh" as we get closer.

2 days ago wasn't a bust in any sense (in fact, it over performed, as did the Medford event on 4/30)...not every event is gonna have your ideal juxtaposition of moisture, shear and other parameters.

The main thing has been the rather lack of impressive synoptic systems ejecting in a manner that would be conducive for an event (and subsequent capping problems with the ones that somewhat did).

Several days ago we were concerned that we were not going to see anything until perhaps after Memorial Day, and now that at least one model shows a weakness in the ridge for a period with multiple synoptic potentials through the mid/long ranges, I believe that is a cause for (tentative) optimism.

I'm sure this will get MPX's attnention. I do not know what is weighted more heavily when calculating EHI numbers, but if it is cape than the EHI could be underdone. I can't show 0-1km shear which is around 25 knts and 0-6 km which shows around 40 knts-55 knts but here is some things that look interesting to me, although cape doesn't appear to get over 2k, near the metro, the other values are there.

Cape

NAM_221_2012052200_F48_CAPE_SURFACE.png

Helicity

NAM_221_2012052200_F48_HLCY_3000_M_ABOVE_GROUND_0_M_ABOVE_GROUND.png

EHI

NAM_221_2012052200_F48_EHI_3000_M.png

This looks to be a pretty narrow threat area, I would like to see broader EHI values for the SPC to issue a slight risk, IMO

I do not know what is weighted more heavily when calculating EHI numbers, but if it is cape than the EHI could be underdone. I can't show 0-1km shear which is around 25 knts and 0-6 km which shows around 40 knts-55 knts but here is some things that look interesting to me, although cape doesn't appear to get over 2k, near the metro, the other values are there.

Cape

EHI is a normalized multiplication of CAPE and SRH, therefore it cannot be "overdone," since it has a numeric definition.

It is meant to indicate when the combination of thermodynamic (CAPE) and kinematic (SRH) is optimal for tornadoes. Both of these quantities play a role in the generation of vertical vorticity (updraft rotation) since SRH is indicative of how much vorticity is "available" to updrafts, but strong cape also enhances vertical vorticity by stretching - the less cape, the less vertical stretching and enhancement of SRH that has been tilted into the vertical.

Lacking CAPE equates to less intense updraft vertical vorticity than what would otherwise occur with more CAPE.

EHI is a normalized multiplication of CAPE and SRH, therefore it cannot be "overdone," since it has a numeric definition.

It is meant to indicate when the combination of thermodynamic (CAPE) and kinematic (SRH) is optimal for tornadoes. Both of these quantities play a role in the generation of vertical vorticity (updraft rotation) since SRH is indicative of how much vorticity is "available" to updrafts, but strong cape also enhances vertical vorticity by stretching - the less cape, the less vertical stretching and enhancement of SRH that has been tilted into the vertical.

Lacking CAPE equates to less intense updraft vertical vorticity than what would otherwise occur with more CAPE.

Thanks for the answer, that was a good explanation, so one more question, if I can. If cape values were around 2000, what would happen to the EHI values, would they grow at a steady pace, or would they grow exponentially?

Archived