Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Boredom/Banter thread..Nothing but normal to slightly above

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly the pattern has gotten to Tip. Fellow poster Martin , good dude, bought the site and database so WE could all use the historical database. The guys here that Mod and admin do it for free and do a damn good job. Are there wrongs, absolutely, are there quirky mods, absolutely, sometimes.....

The last 5 months as a whole have been a big bore--phantom storms, phantom pattern changes, underperforming cold and QPF. Why change now?

Friday Night was pretty uneventful, but at least it brought out some met disco. The only disco this week, is that Kevin is probaly too warm again on Sunday, but I hope 60s at least.

Eh well... Hey, I was right about one thing - in one way shape or form, money got involved, and that messed it all up, regardless.

Actually it had nothing to do with money, but I'll leave it at that. If you search some of the earliest posts here you'll probably find the threads explaining it all.

As for the boringness...I'll take sunny boring over northeasterly, raw, 40s, drizzle-laden boring anyday.

As for the boringness...I'll take sunny boring over northeasterly, raw, 40s, drizzle-laden boring anyday.

We should still be getting snow in NNE elevations in April. Wasting this troughing on days of 45-50F temperatures with gusty NW winds is sort of a shame. It's amazing that none of these troughs can pop a real storm.

Actually it had nothing to do with money, but I'll leave it at that. If you search some of the earliest posts here you'll probably find the threads explaining it all.

yeah can't argue with that. if i had a choice, i'd mix those two up a bit...would equal something slightly less boring.

should be a decent freeze in spots tonight. woohoo. LOL.

If I dumped every operational run that's out there into a blender and hit frappe, then poured a glass of it ... this would taste like a variant on typical springtime omega type deal. These can sometimes get amped, with a big ridge poking to nearly 60N in central Canada, with a deep anomaly over us (the wester one near Washington/Oregon).

Here, we have these semi-permanent L/W anchored along and off each coast of N/A, with a modest to at time moderately strong ridge anomally sandwhich in between. In fact, mind's eye going back some days worth of runs, this has more than less been the blend. For those that don't know, Omega is just what it says, flows that look like " W "'s, only with rounded inflection points.

Indeed, in this sort of regime, not much exciting can happen. I think Scott discussed this at length earlier in this thread, "Booooooorrrrrrrinnnnnnng"

The primary storm tracks are east of the Gulf Stream, and up the High Plains, ...dumping vestigial cyclonic dynamics into the top of the ridge, so they can then roll on down sweeping fun stopping cold over the NE. Storms out at sea then use this CAA in their backsides. That's the basic mean. Last night's desperately needed rain is the exception to what otherwise would tend to be a dry, eventless regime.

We are not going to register meaningful positive anomalies until this breaks down.

Re the emerging "drought" - may be too early to call it that, but U.S. monitoring has us in moderate condition in March. I was brain storming this notion that more than just seems to verify, "dry begets dry." I think I have come up with a simple sort of explanation why that seems to be the case.

Suppose you are in a -3SD seasonal moisture anomaly - perhaps upper tier moderate in magnitude. That might just mean that your region requires at a minimum at +3SD event to compenssate. When also factoring in local hydrological studies, hence the "at a minimum" as a requirement. For most intents and purposes, the assumption here is a linear relationship, though. If there is any truth to that, now ask the question: How often does a region wide basin receive a +3SD precipitation event?

Ah, interesting question. The answer is, rarely, and suddenly, dry seems to be begetting dry doesn't it? Here's what I'm thinking: It's easier by shear statistical probability (perhaps) to bust a region out of a -1SD moisture anomaly, by the occurrence of a +1SD event - they happen all the time (relative to a regions native climatology, that is). Therefore, if a region is in a -8SD moisture starvation scenario, that would require one helluva story for the grand kids event to correct it all at once. The alternative would intuitively be to have multiple +2SD type events, but not have then spread out so far temporally that what you gain, you lose to evaporation and/or evapotranspiration - which is hugely accelerated when RH is exceptionally low.

In the end, it could all just wittle down to a simple numbers game. If randomness gets you into a -3SD moisture funk, the shear odds of getting a corrective +3SD event is comparativley low. So in that sense alone, the "drought" seems to be perpetuating it self. But if this is understood, that is not really happening; the drought is in fact not perpetuating its self, its just that randomness got a region into a -3SD hole, which then becomes considerably longer odds that it will be corrected.

But they do, eventually... I think that has to do with "clustering". As hinted above, a region can aggregate a series of events, "denting" of water deficiencies is probably the more common means to get a region out of a drought. If the region is in a -5SD, they are probably never going to see a +5SD unless they are exceedinglly lucky. But, if a some errant dying TC comes along and puts down +2.5SD, the odds then go up considerably in favor of fuller recovering, because the resulting -2.5SD remaining can be met with a +2.5SD event with increased fequency.

Some droughts do end with a bang. Those are the ones to remember. I remember when TX was in a sere funk once, and a TC went on in and parked for a foot's worth over a big chunck of real-estate. That must have been something! By and large, though, I suspect aggregating events is the way drought finally come to an end.

Having said all that ... can you guys think of a bigger nerd than me?

eh, I thought you said Marcus sold something ...

Anyway, the irony is that I don't really care ? so I prolly won't go looking haha. what a douche, a?

Yeah, nothing will beat May of 2005 for utter spiritual spring debacle. That was bar-none unimaginable vile -

Wonder if Boston will ever see a Nor'easter again? LOL. Longest stretch ever? How many sub 980 storms last year 10-14? This year 0. I remember posting about the overabundance of bombs last year, if you look at this years historical maps you can see how everything blew up 250 miles to our East. US FTL

Having said all that ... can you guys think of a bigger nerd than me?

short-term we definitely need some water.

i'll be more worried come late may if we are in the same general situation. long-term trends are fine which is good. the 12-month and 36-month departures are still like 100-130% for most of SNE

Wonder if Boston will ever see a Nor'easter again? LOL. Longest stretch ever? How many sub 980 storms last year 10-14? This year 0. I remember posting about the overabundance of bombs last year, if you look at this years historical maps you can see how everything blew up 250 miles to our East. US FTL

Indeed... That fits well with native progressive nature to the circulation system overall.

"Bombs" typically require phasing. A Miller A bomb is a rare event, really. If a Miller A gets infused with N stream dynamics in route, technically it really becomes a Miller A/B hybrid.

January 21-22, 1977, is a good example of a big juicy bunned pure Miller A, ... that never deepened beneath 1002 MBs the whole way up. But, considering its source, man did that sucker bring up a mind boggling PWAT anomaly right into a dome of marginal cold....viola! Boston set a 24 ...well LOGAN set a 24 snow fall record that would ironically get beaten just 2 weeks later by the big guy.

This recent cold season months demonstrated spacial-temporal aspects to wave mechanics that were simply deconstructive and unphasing at every turn.. No bombs is no surprise. The fact that it last all winter ...yeah, but I think it sucks more than it is surprising, at least for me. NCEP intimated recently how the MJO was deconstructive against the ENSO for Western Pacific wave spaces. I think observations like that are key in understanding what stopped cyclogenesis over N/A

Indeed... That fits well with native progressive nature to the circulation system overall.

January 21-22, 1977, is a good example of a big juicy bunned pure Miller A, ... that never deepened beneath 1002 MBs the whole way up. But, considering its source, man did that sucker bring up a mind boggling PWAT anomaly right into a dome of marginal cold....viola! Boston set a 24 ...well LOGAN set a 24 snow fall record that would ironically get beaten just 2 weeks later by the big guy.

I think you mean 1978...76-77 was a cold but dry winter for Boston.

What a sweet day across New England. Spring-like in the valleys, winter-like in the elevations.

Saw a nice snow-nado today... lots of turbulent air and differential heating causing lots of localized thermals.

The inch of snow last night was dry powder with temps in the low 20s, and it wanted to blow around.

IMG_4167_edited-2.jpg

Lots of fresh drifts of surprising size for 1" of new snow.

IMG_4173_edited-2.jpg

And lots of nice snow "waterfalls" from wind gusts blowing heaps of snow over the cliffs and then watching the snow cascade down the rocks of the Mansfield ridgeline.

IMG_4158_edited-2.jpg

What a sweet day across New England. Spring-like in the valleys, winter-like in the elevations.

Saw a nice snow-nado today... lots of turbulent air and differential heating causing lots of localized thermals.

The inch of snow last night was dry powder with temps in the low 20s, and it wanted to blow around.

And lots of nice snow "waterfalls" from wind gusts blowing heaps of snow over the cliffs and then watching the snow cascade down the rocks of the Mansfield ridgeline.

Nice images!

IMG_4167_edited-2.jpg

IMG_4173_edited-2.jpg

IMG_4158_edited-2.jpg

Was there any damage?

Sun is just pounding relentlessly into the west facing windows right now, nice to have the house at 74 even though the temp is almost 20 cooler outside, free solar heat this time of year with curtains pulled.

Just does not get any better for early April tomorrow, sun light winds and low 60s.

Archived