Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Boredom/Banter thread..Nothing but normal to slightly above

Damage In Tolland

Gotta love April sun!

It screwed us out of getting a lot of snow last night… If that wave had come through a month ago with those same thicknesses in place we’d a been talkin’ 6” of snow. But the residual heating in the boundary layer yesterday kept the lowest partial thickness too warm overnight, and since dynamics were only so so, 38F rain for most.

Now it’s only 45 here, but the cu are a-bubblin’ up thanks to that hot sun. You can really see how it’s gone above the equinox by angle, too… Heh, another week and it’s late August sun. I remember in 2002, we had a late august hot day that nicked 100F in eastern Mass…I think it was around the 22nd.

Ding dong the wicket winter witch might just be dead!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to understand Kevs everyone else is Will, Scott, Phil, Ryan. Does not count that , Collinsville, Chris M, Met Herb, Weenie Radar, Mod Fan, myself, KBC, NECT,you and others, had accumulating snow.

What are you talking about? There was about 10 people in CT that post on here that got accumulating snow.That is what i was saying. It was a small geographic area.

Gotta love April sun!

It screwed us out of getting a lot of snow last night… If that wave had come through a month ago with those same thicknesses in place we’d a been talkin’ 6” of snow. But the residual heating in the boundary layer yesterday kept the lowest partial thickness too warm overnight, and since dynamics were only so so, 38F rain for most.

Now it’s only 45 here, but the cu are a-bubblin’ up thanks to that hot sun. You can really see how it’s gone above the equinox by angle, too… Heh, another week and it’s late August sun. I remember in 2002, we had a late august hot day that nicked 100F in eastern Mass…I think it was around the 22nd.

Ding dong the wicket winter witch might just be dead!

:weenie: A little burn on the nape?

Nice to see the mud spinning on the farm trucks this morning, the nearly 3/4 inch of rain in 5 days was needed. Saw some .5 in Eastern SNE overnight. Every little bit helps.

Agreed! U.S. drought monitoring reflects the area would be in trouble if we don't get a few more of these.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere appears hell-bent on re-establishing NW continental flow whenever it can.

I wondered this myself. Who is paying for the operation of that forum, and why?

I think the key is in the ads ... This is technically a for profit set up now.

From what I gather - and this is conjecture only based off that - Eastern was originally intended as a free site for all, powered by donations.

At some point along the way, some cadre of moderator(s) and/or Admin status folks made plans to take the technology and turn it into a money maker. This P'oed the person that originally brought Eastern off the ground - it sounded like he was not included in that new vision.

Money and morality part company right at conception of either, unfortunately, so this is perhaps a nice way to say the former individuals used a "5 finger discount" in using the creator's site - not just for the design, but the popular following he had amassed as "Eastern".

If you log out and browse the forum as an observer, these ads pop off like christmas lights - that's ad revenue, right? I don't know... I wonder if the original Eastern is really all that bad of a place, though - seeing as you asked why?.

I noticed that the culture of moderating out on the main stem is a bit untolerable, clearly biased in favor of a some and against others, and demonstrative of a-hole judemental mentality at times. There's some of that everywhere, but I don't recall it as much prior to Eastern temperaturally going down. That seems to be a new characterization of those moderating here, and... if the stuff above is right, it stands to reason. Unscrupulous attracts unscrupulous.

From what I gather - and this is conjecture only based off that - Eastern was originally intended as a free site for all, powered by donations.

At some point along the way, some cadre of moderator(s) and/or Admin status folks made plans to take the technology and turn it into a money maker. This P'oed the person that originally brought Eastern off the ground - it sounded like he was not included in that new vision.

Money and morality part company right at conception of either, unfortunately, so this is perhaps a nice way to say the former individuals used a "5 finger discount" in using the creator's site - not just for the design, but the popular following he had amassed as "Eastern".

If you log out and browse the forum as an observer, these ads pop off like christmas lights - that's ad revenue, right? I don't know... I wonder if the original Eastern is really all that bad of a place, though - seeing as you asked why?.

I noticed that the culture of moderating out on the main stem is a bit untolerable, clearly biased in favor of a some and against others, and demonstrative of a-hole judemental mentality at times. There's some of that everywhere, but I don't recall it as much prior to Eastern temperaturally going down. That seems to be a new characterization of those moderating here, and... if the stuff above is right, it stands to reason. Unscrupulous attracts unscrupulous.

I don't know exactly what transpired between Marcus and the new administration.

I do know before Eastern there was a page on MSN.. I believe it was called a community back then. That quickly morphed to the easternuswx site. Both were the product of a split/move away from IRC. There was originally #weather on IRC, then #neweather. #neweather would be incredibly busy during storms to the point that it probably outgrew the medium. But there was always the regional tension there which was odd because...after all it was #neweather.

I'm too old to care at this point but the byproduct of all of that - my guess is a lot of the protagonists from the IRC days are here now posting in the other regions and a lot of that hasn't died and that's why you see so many dustups. Just IMO, but I'd love to see an honest answer from some of the biggest regional battlers as to whether they were ever on IRC before euswx.

What the F are you talking about?

What the F are you talking about?

Unsure what you find unclear...

I said, it was only conjecture, put together based on stuff I was told by others and what I read from what Marcus' divulged himself.

That's what the F I'm talking about.

Calm down

We've long moved past the day Marcus screwed us over so there's no need to talk about it here anymore. If you really need to know what happened then search for some old threads here or ask someone that knows via PM. This forum was not created as a for-profit site. The ad revenue is supplemental dollars for operating costs and other projects for the site. Eastern was bought by someone off of Marcus to preserve the old posts for the community.

Unsure what you find unclear...

I said, it was only conjecture, put together based on stuff I was told by others and what I read from what Marcus' divulged himself.

That's what the F I'm talking about.

Calm down

I'm perfectly calm, but I have no clue why you went on a rant of false assumptions here on the weather side.

I'm perfectly calm, but I have no clue why you went on a rant of false assumptions here on the weather side.

Using "F" and "rant" to describe, doesn't come across as calm ;)

That said, the key is "only conjecture".

Cold Miser was asking a question, I was providing what I was told - if it was Marcus, fine - so be it.

Right, move on -

Using "F" and "rant" to describe, doesn't come across as calm ;)

That said, the key is "only conjecture".

Cold Miser was asking a question, I was providing what I was told - if it was Marcus, fine - so be it.

Right, move on -

John,

Everything that went down 2 years ago still strikes a nerve with me. I wasn't trying to jump on your back. We did everything we could to try to keep Eastern going...we never wanted to have to start a new site, but it was our last resort or otherwise we'd risk losing the community. Anyways...sorry again if it appeared I snapped. I just didn't expect to log on and see this discussion in this thread. :)

Sun is getting stronger everyday, and man what a difference the rain made! Lawns are looking fantastic, great to see OKX bump up temps, 60 tom 63 wed, up to 59 friday and low 60s sat sun and mon, with sun sun sun!!

What a beautiful time of year, have a great evening everyone.

sunny

John,

Everything that went down 2 years ago still strikes a nerve with me. I wasn't trying to jump on your back. We did everything we could to try to keep Eastern going...we never wanted to have to start a new site, but it was our last resort or otherwise we'd risk losing the community. Anyways...sorry again if it appeared I snapped. I just didn't expect to log on and see this discussion in this thread. :)

That actually brings up a good point - this thread's title says banter in it; is that intended to imply 'dumpster' lol. I mean, supposed someone really did want to vent - "rant" for lack of better word, does "banter" intend to allow for that?

I think actually the answre to that should be no. I don't contribute nearly as much as many on here during times when things are ...boring shall we say. So despite any familiarness folks may have, I am not as savvy a user as some. But from my perspective, perhaps weather banter is differentiable to banter in general. Hm. Guess that is what OT is for.

Fwiw, what sparked my curiosity; the MJO monitoring has been offline since the 30th (as of noon, haven't checked in the last hour), so was googling for ancillary sources. One of the google returns was a post I made, at Eastern, like a half a decade ago - haha. Anyway, for morbid curiousity, I clicked the link and low and behold, what I thought was a defunct forum is still breathing. That left a mild mystery as to what was going on, which could only be answered with what WAS going on, and so I asked. CM replied, then I replied to him with what info I had - however false it was, notwithstanding.

Eh well... Hey, I was right about one thing - in one way shape or form, money got involved, and that messed it all up, regardless.

Sun is getting stronger everyday, and man what a difference the rain made! Lawns are looking fantastic, great to see OKX bump up temps, 60 tom 63 wed, up to 59 friday and low 60s sat sun and mon, with sun sun sun!!

What a beautiful time of year, have a great evening everyone.

sunny

I'll give that statement to you but only within a very narrow envelope. There far more ways to ruin a day at this time of year, then to get a 64 under azure heavens. If that forecast verifies verbatum, we're lucky.

Archived