Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...serious rain. Winds were/are not very impressive here in Bellefonte, a few gusts to maybe 40mph. Must have been something a bit west of here though, because I saw a definite transformer flash when the line was about 2-3 miles west of town.

Thats what stinks about having mountains to your east. When it gets to the coastal plain winds will get much higher. I'd say I still gusted to ~ 50mph here in Frederick.

Indeed. This squall line didn't come close to a severe warned t-storm. Barely raining now. I miss Texas' storms ...

i agree. other then a lightning flash and imediate BOOM that had my 120 labordoodle sitting on my lap, i wasn't impressed either.

The clouds and lack of heating today likely kept anything ridiculous from getting tapped down to the surface with the squall line. PA east of the Alleghenies stayed relatively stable with regards to surface heating/CAPE and thus we ended up with a couple tornadic cells that made their way up into York county from Maryland but not very much in the way of new development. West of the Laurels, it appeared there might've been just enough brief partial clearing to bump up CAPE's and take a bit more advantage of the highly dynamic environment. Was likely the reason we saw a couple discreet rotating cells in Westmoreland/Indiana counties that yielded a probable tornado near Ligonier. Too much cloudcover had been my original thinking for keeping a decent severe day with some overall severe reports and a couple tors from getting out of hand. With the impressive dynamics in place a good several hours of full heating in the afternoon would've have likely produced several strong >EF2 type tornadoes in MD and SE PA. So I'd say we probably dodged a bullet.

2.63" according to my station, 3.03" according to GR3 storm total data IMBY.

What's interesting is that you can clearly see the path of the warned cell (via storm total precip) that crossed the mason dixon line, headed through shrewsbury in york (where a spotter called in a funnel) and proceeded NW through the middle of lanco. I recorded a max of 1.97"/hr from that cell, and observed pea size hail.

Warned cell precip path 1 Jun 2012.png

I also have a Stratus rain gauge and it works wonders and it matches up nearly 100% of the time with my vantage vue measurements.

http://www.google.co...ed=0CLQBEPMCMAA#

If you have between 200-300 dollars, HIGHLY suggest the davis vantage vue. You can bid on ebay like I did and get it relatively cheap compared to most places.

http://www.ebay.com/...p_id=3215968327

Only problem with both of these, it doesn't work accurately for snow melt to find out the QPF amounts of snowfall events. That is why I have a NWS rain guage also to do all my winter time measurements. But I use the NWS rain guage all year round for my official measurements, but I use the other two for verification in the storm totals. I use my vantage vue for all my temperature observations for coop.

Can't remember this many thunderstorms around here. Getting another.

Yeah by my count we're at 11 so far here in Bellefonte...not bad at all. This one had some pretty decent gusts as it moved in, and a number of close lightning strikes.

Not as impressive as the storm I ran into south of Altoona today though. I thought I was going to be blown off I-99. Tons of leaves and small branches being whipped around. Also a few strikes close enough that I could hear the thunder in a moving vehicle.

That storm barely dropped any rain in Harrisburg, a rumble if thunder and threes or four wind gusts but nothing at all to speak of. Second storm in 24 hours to dpfizzle before it reached me.

Out here in Linglestown we were hit pretty hard with gusts to near 50mph, branches down everywhere, and a few bursts of heavy rain. It was pretty nasty.

Archived