Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, just got home from work finally. It is already trying to snow in Altoona and here at home in the form of cat paws and slush flakes. Just pulled up the dual pol.. already got a pretty fascinating shot on the correllation coefficient.

post-1507-0-47881500-1335147405.png

Areas of lower correlation coefficient values in a winter weather scenario can indicate the melting layer. Some of the ridge lines are showing up very nicely on this product right now, likely indicating the elevation level on the ridges where the snow is starting to melt into slush flakes and rain in the valleys. Really cool.

I'd relax on the NAM for now. While it's possible it may hint at the subtle trend of shrinking the deformation band, it still has it and will probably nail someone in the NW part of the state and into NY. The NAM is also about as stable as a fault in the Indian Ocean.

Yeah Euro and RGEM did a better job. GFS was also pretty good at not overdoing the precip and the retrogression. It rearely verifies further SW unless it's 2/10/2012. I was sure I was getting screwed at 1AM that morning. Ended up with anther 12-15" from that storm.

Yeah Euro and RGEM did a better job. GFS was also pretty good at not overdoing the precip and the retrogression. It rearely verifies further SW unless it's 2/10/2012. I was sure I was getting screwed at 1AM that morning. Ended up with anther 12-15" from that storm.

Well don't forget not to focus on the higher amounts in ranges...that's why we have them. The actual band that sets up may be rather narrow which is what the NAM may be indicating. Lots of things going on with the combo of upslope snow too. Throw all that together and someone could get whacked where it comes together, but it's not an easy forecast.

Archived