Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Central PA Late Spring 2012

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the elevation is one thing, but even spots at 1000ft would accmulate if they can get into the meaty stuff. I'm just not sure if that band can make it into the State College area given its longitude. Very tough call. If it could, I don't see much of a problem getting into the 4-8" zone, but you need the steadier stuff to really force dynamic cooling. They might be right on the edge...hopefully on the snowier side. Also, I wonder if NW winds will dry out some of the moisture later in the day? Those westerly slopes on the Allegheny front our going to get crushed. Just stuff to think about.

We get surprisingly strong downslope from the Allegheny front, considering the modest elevation. That's another factor going against us...although I try to be optimistic (after all, how often does anyone in our climate get snow in late April?)

We get surprisingly strong downslope from the Allegheny front, considering the modest elevation. That's another factor going against us...although I try to be optimistic (after all, how often does anyone in our climate get snow in late April?)

Those deformation bands can help offset the effects of downsloping because most of the processes that produce snowflake production occur in the mid levels and it's a little too high to really get eaten up by low level winds, so you'll want the good banding.

Yeah the elevation is one thing, but even spots at 1000ft would accmulate if they can get into the meaty stuff. I'm just not sure if that band can make it into the State College area given its longitude. Very tough call. If it could, I don't see much of a problem getting into the 4-8" zone, but you need the steadier stuff to really force dynamic cooling. They might be right on the edge...hopefully on the snowier side. Also, I wonder if NW winds will dry out some of the moisture later in the day? Those westerly slopes on the Allegheny front our going to get crushed. Just stuff to think about.

Yea this will be very interesting to watch unfold. The NW flow is a good point, as traditionally a deform left behind a storm lifting up will eat up precip trying to get off the Alleghenies. This is a pretty great setup though, so as long as the storm doesn't end up hooking in too far west ala the NAM.. the adjacent central counties ( AOO-UNV corridor) should get into the action. Either way, I wouldn't expect decent snow to make it much farther east than that corridor. CTP seemed to be liking the 0z Euros take, which prompted them to issue those extra watches early this morning.

Yea this will be very interesting to watch unfold. The NW flow is a good point, as traditionally a deform left behind a storm lifting up will eat up precip trying to get off the Alleghenies. This is a pretty great setup though, so as long as the storm doesn't end up hooking in too far west ala the NAM.. the adjacent central counties ( AOO-UNV corridor) should get into the action. Either way, I wouldn't expect decent snow to make it much farther east than that corridor. CTP seemed to be liking the 0z Euros take, which prompted them to issue those extra watches early this morning.

Yeah tough call in the AOO-UNV corridor and can see why NWS CTP put the watches up. It's not like it will be one of those situations where precip will gradually increase in intensity as you head west. It could go from a little light rain or drizzle, to mdt-hvy snow in a matter of 10-20 miles or so. Something like that makes it really tough to pin down.

I think places like Coudersport and north to ELZ on the NY side will get a nice pummeling as the band of +SN shifts west early tomorrow even if they end up a bit too far east for the best deformation. But then again the 12 GFS and GGEM/RGEM have reverted east again so they may yet be in a good spot for deformation as well.

My thinking is east of Bradford to JST struggles to see more than 2 inches...but it is still very possible. A last second shift east with the deform band would make all the difference.

Yeah, mentioned the storm to some friends this morning and everyone seems to believe it'll be kelly balmy tomorrow with rain. I'm concerned this might catch more than a few off guard.

Hopefully it works out for us, I still have the borrowed trays from the commons...we need a good 4"+ for quality sledding.

What was CMC showing pawatch??? This indeed will be an interesting storm, if it corrects east a bit, game on for most. If it corrects west, its dry slot city for most here except Potter and Pit posters. Should be fun!!!

Just watching the snow getting it's start up North and then expand. Some much needed rain for sure.

http://collaboration...pe_gem_reg.html

Archived