amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Spring "Freeze out"

BowMeHunter

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reality is somewhere in the middle, it gets plenty hot here July-Sept when it matters for tomatoes and whatnot.

anyways...I haven't seen sub-freezing temps much less 20s since February...with only a couple nights in the upper 30s.

Its no surprise youve been avoiding some of the freezes living smack dab in the city...but I find it hard to believe you had no sub-freezing lows in March...ORD got down to 21 early in the month.

Detroit suburbs have had a good dozen freezes since the March warmspell, close to a half dozen freezes in the heart of the city, and its been way worse up north. Farmers up north are reeling.

Its no surprise youve been avoiding some of the freezes living smack dab in the city...but I find it hard to believe you had no sub-freezing lows in March...ORD got down to 21 early in the month.

Detroit suburbs have had a good dozen freezes since the March warmspell, close to a half dozen freezes in the heart of the city, and its been way worse up north. Farmers up north are reeling.

@ The comment about the brown tinted leaves... I've noticed that as well in quite a few different species of plants and trees. My mulberry tree is all messed up from the freeze. Blackened leaves have fallen off. There's like patches of messed up looking leaves on it!

I've had 15 days of freezing lows since March 1. 4 mornings this months in the upper 20s. Low of 12° on March 5th. Safe to say Alek hit freezing that night!

and you shouldn't plant very tender veg until at least 2+ weeks after the avg last frost. which is more like mid-may lake side counties. Plus VT veg likes temps in the 70+ Not 40's and 50's that are still common along the lake in May. Always have and always will only plant very tenders in the ground during the last week of may. There is really no benefit doing it earlier.

Mid-May is not the average last frost for us. It's April 26 - May 2.

What we had last night was a hard freeze, which is usually done with by mid April.

See map.

Color Key to Typical Dates of Last Spring Frost

springfrost.gif

Yellow is Apr 26 - May 2.

http://www.wisconlin...pringfrost.html

You, Dink.. I never said mid-may was the avg last frost.. I don't need a map of avg last frost... I or my father have gardened in MKE for longer than you have been alive and I know what works best for us with very tender veg planted in the ground and that's planting some time during the last week of may or memotial day weekend dependent on the forecast. Frost here is the least of my worries in May. Its the many days that can be stuck in the 40's and 50's that do nothing but stress very tender veg out.

You, Dink.. I never said mid-may was the avg last frost.. I don't need a map of avg last frost... I or my father have gardened in MKE for longer than you have been alive and I know what works best for us with very tender veg planted in the ground and that's planting some time during the last week of may or memotial day weekend dependent on the forecast. Frost here is the least of my worries in May. Its the many days that can be stuck in the 40's and 50's that do nothing but stress very tender veg out.

"Dink"

D - ual

I - ncome

N - o

K - ids

Aka the married bachelor.

Hit 30 on my Davis, but FWA a few miles away got down to 28:

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

0420 PM EDT FRI APR 27 2012

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE TIED AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 28 DEGREES WAS TIED AT FORT WAYNE TODAY.

THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 28 SET IN 1976.

Hit 30 on my Davis, but FWA a few miles away got down to 28:

RECORD EVENT REPORT

0420 PM EDT FRI APR 27 2012

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE TIED AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF 28 DEGREES WAS TIED AT FORT WAYNE TODAY.

THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 28 SET IN 1976.

Seems like 1976 keeps popping up everywhere I look, whether it's old records, possible analog years etc

Nice....

RECORD EVENT REPORT

0421 PM EDT SAT APR 28 2012

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL TIED AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF A TRACE WAS TIED AT FORT WAYNE TODAY. THIS

TIES THE OLD RECORD OF A TRACE SET IN 1961.

Just a T of precip at DTW today, a few sprinkles. Dry air totally won out, all models had at least SOME measurable precip, and it never materialized. Temps hung in the low-mid 40s all day (of course, had heavier precip been able to overcome the dry air, it would have dropped temps into the 30s). Still, that wintry nip is in the air and we are probably headed for our last freeze of the spring tonight.

Just incredible low Temperatures overnight.

Here's Some from the Northern Burbs of Detroit.

Oxford 25.2

Washington 25.0

Lake Orion SW 26.1

Rochester 28.1

Dryden 23.2

Shelby TWP 27.0

Auburn Hills 28.2

Ortonville 23.5

Lapeer 21.0

Troy 28.6

Macomb 28.3

Romeo 24.4

Just incredible low Temperatures overnight.

Here's Some from the Northern Burbs of Detroit.

Oxford 25.2

Washington 25.0

Lake Orion SW 26.1

Rochester 28.1

Dryden 23.2

Shelby TWP 27.0

Auburn Hills 28.2

Ortonville 23.5

Lapeer 21.0

Troy 28.6

Macomb 28.3

Romeo 24.4

Wow. Lapeer FTL

Temps in this area.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI

1111 AM EDT SUN APR 29 2012

...SUNDAY MORNING LOW TEMPERATURES...

TEMPERATURES FELL BELOW FREEZING LAST NIGHT ACROSS MUCH OF LOWER

MICHIGAN. THE 28 DEGREE READING AT GRAND RAPIDS TIED THE RECORD LOW

FOR THE DATE. HERE ARE SOME OTHER MORNING LOWS FROM AROUND SOUTHWEST

LOWER MICHIGAN.

LOW TEMPERATURE...LOCATION

17...LEOTA

21...CADILLAC AND LESLIE

22...BALDWIN

24...ALMA AND BIG RAPIDS

25...BELDING...LANSING

26...LUDINGTON...CHARLOTTE...MASON...JACKSON AND MT. PLEASANT

27...HASTINGS...MUSKEGON

28...FREMONT...HASTINGS...IONIA...GRAND RAPIDS

29...MARSHALL...BATTLE CREEK...SPARTA...LAWRENCE...HUDSONVILLE

31...KALAMAZOO

32...FENNVILLE

THE LOW AT GRAND RAPIDS TIED THE RECORD LOW SET IN 1973 AND TIED IN

1977 AND 1979. THE LOW OF 25 DEGREES AT LANSING WAS SHORT OF THE

RECORD LOW OF 22 DEGREES SET IN 1908. THE LOW OF 27 DEGREES AT

MUSKEGON JUST MISSED THE RECORD LOW OF 26 DEGREES SET IN 1979.

$$

OSTUNO

I had 25.8° while the airport at MBS (offically for Saginaw) had 27 for a low. Couple other areas nearby was 23 at Frankenmuth/Richiville, 22 at Fairgrove 25 at Freeland. I sure hope the freeze/frost is over. The last freeze in 2011 was April 18th with 29. The average last freeze is may 12th.

A look back at previous warm Marches would show that it shouldn't be surprising to see some very cool temps the following April. For example, at FWA:

Number of Days with a Minimum Temperature of 28 Degrees or Below in Years following a March with 5 or Greater Days above 70 Degrees

1907 10

1910 4

1945 1

1968 2

1976 5

1983 3

1989 4

1990 7

1995 2

1998 0

2007 7

You guys act like you live in the middle of Lake Michigan. It's typically HOT and HUMID at my house almost every day from June 15 to Sept 1st.

I can grow tropical plants like bananas, elephant ears and cannas just fine ... so... I don't see what your issue is??

I would assume the prevailing wind would blow offshore and keep the cool air off to the east. Living downwind of Lake Michigan on THIS side of the lake makes a difference untill you get 5 miles inland.

@ The comment about the brown tinted leaves... I've noticed that as well in quite a few different species of plants and trees. My mulberry tree is all messed up from the freeze. Blackened leaves have fallen off. There's like patches of messed up looking leaves on it!

I've had 15 days of freezing lows since March 1. 4 mornings this months in the upper 20s. Low of 12° on March 5th. Safe to say Alek hit freezing that night!

Those are probably the flowers/catkins on the mulberry , they bloom first and then grow leaves a few weeks later. They are in full bloom here now, I don't think they would be further ahead further north.

Those are probably the flowers/catkins on the mulberry , they bloom first and then grow leaves a few weeks later. They are in full bloom here now, I don't think they would be further ahead further north.

I posted a few pictures back in this thread (p. 19 bottom) of the blackened leaves. So far I haven't seen any new leaves come out. Those 70s and 2 80s I had really woke that tree up early and then the upper 20s came early in the month. Probably get a smaller crop of berries this summer.

Neighbors Magnolia tree took a hit from cold too - with the lose of some of it's buds and leaves.

I've held off on planting any annuals. I am gonna start though pretty soon... at the usual time I plant veggies and flowers. 2nd week of May.

looks like I made it, warm winter, crazy warm march and cool april but enough UHI/lake influence to stay well above freezing. Haven't seen a sub freezing temp since February... amazing stuff.

You sure you didn't get below freezing on March 5th? As Geos was saying he got down to 12 and looking at the climate summary ORD got down to 21..

March High Low

5 37 21

Chicago Executive Airport got down to 19 as well..

Archived