amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 14-17 Midwest Hailers

Indystorm

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly sometimes you need to humble yourself on a day when people lost so much if not everything. Just be happy you still have a roof over your head and you were safe while looking at GR3 while others were hanging on for dear life. IMO the only screw zone today was in Dexter.

Truely non combative was my post..Honestly sometimes you need to humble yourself on a day when people lost so much if not everything. Just be happy you still have a roof over your head and you were safe while looking at GR3 while others were hanging on for dear life. IMO the only screw zone today was in Dexter.

Okay. This post truly helps me understand your perspective! Thank you for this response.

I still don't understand your comment. As with every event there are some that get missed. Especially when dealing with t-storms. I know this all so very well. Today was my bad luck day. Oh well. Such is life. Normally I can chase but couldn't tonight. My point is why do you have to post a rude comment to someone who is bummed to be missed?

Nothing I said was rude and I pointed it out because you did it multiple times today and you do it every single event and have for years Roy.

It also seemed to me as though the tornadic storm was following the dew point gradient/boundary as it turned right as I compared it with the SPC meso page dew point map. I've heard people debunk the idea that some hurricanes can create their own environment. But in this tornadic instance, at least on the mesoscale, it seems that the storm motion did enhance low level helicity.

It also seemed to me as though the tornadic storm was following the dew point gradient/boundary as it turned right as I compared it with the SPC meso page dew point map. I've heard people debunk the idea that some hurricanes can create their own environment. But in this tornadic instance, at least on the mesoscale, it seems that the storm motion did enhance low level helicity.

Fascinating stuff today.

I agree with that guess...EF2 at minimum. It's possible that some structures weren't built well but unlikely that is the case in every spot with considerable damage.

Most of the subdivisions out that way are newer, the 2 houses with their 2nd floors off were probably built circa 1997-2001 just looking at the design layout of the neighborhood. Also they were substantially larger homes than you would see in the inner suburbs.

Fascinating stuff. It's crazy to think we may be looking at an ef-3 tornado that hit in an area the spc deemed to be a 0% probability of tornadoes. It just goes to show that we still have a lot to learn. I'm happy to hear there have been no reports of any injuries or fatalities.

I will say the video Nick Nolte took is the most impressive video of a tornado I have seen in this area in my life.

That thing was like a whole half mile away, dude! Appear to be multiple vorticies in that video, pretty impressive from a meteorological perspective I suppose.

:lmao: The things us college kids do. Seriously though even I wouldn't be playing disc golf with a tornado bearing down. Have to be some tough conditions to throw into

Fascinating stuff. It's crazy to think we may be looking at an ef-3 tornado that hit in an area the spc deemed to be a 0% probability of tornadoes. It just goes to show that we still have a lot to learn. I'm happy to hear there have been no reports of any injuries or fatalities.

I will say the video Nick Nolte took is the most impressive video of a tornado I have seen in this area in my life.

If you want to get technical, there is never a 0% chance on the SPC outlooks, but they deemed the tornado probability to be less than 2%. In hindsight, perhaps higher probs should've been included. From a tornado perspective, today was a tough one to see in advance. Instability was very good but shear was borderline.

Another example is the Goderich, Ontario F3 tornado on August 21, 2011. We were only thunderlined that day. The town is on the Lake Huron shoreline due east of the Michigan Thumb for reference.

Edit, off the wikipedia

There was little hint of what was to come that day as far as severe weather was concerned. Both Environment Canada in Toronto and the Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma outlined the risk for non-severe thunderstorms that day across the lower Great Lakes.[3] Lapse rates yielded limited instability for severe weather, with a secondary cold front acting as a trigger. Given the much colder air aloft (freezing levels near 700 hPa) coupled with surface heating there was the risk for small hail and gusty outflow winds, which was also mentioned. Though some upper-level wind field parameters were sufficient for tornadic activity, they were marginal at best when coupled with the synoptic pattern at hand (a highly atypical pattern compared to previous major tornado events in the lower Great Lakes region).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Goderich,_Ontario_tornado

Another example is the Goderich, Ontario F3 tornado on August 21, 2011. We were only thunderlined that day. The town is on the Lake Huron shoreline due east of the Michigan Thumb for reference.

That is pretty impressive. Maybe it's the lake breezes or something but it seems like this area tricks forecasters quite a bit when it comes to severe weather. There was also that random tornado that threw those RVs into that lake up in the thumb in 2010. That cell wasn't even tornado warned and had barely had any rotation on it from the radar.

Archived