12bet1 net
March 14-17 Midwest Hailers

Indystorm

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is epic!.

FWIW that discn park is really nice.

With the amount of young high tech people in the area of this tornado, I expect to see tons of good videos. This tornado for the state of Michigan is extremely viewable too, usually our tornados are hidden in rain.

I was informed by my mom it hailed for a HALF HOUR last night in Wyandotte. Not huge stones here (though many 1-2" diameter stones reported in SE MI) but apparently it got the mulch white, while where I was in Allen Park just to my north, it wasnt hailing at all.

Heard on a radio show this morning from caller and an avid storm chaser measured 2.5" of Hail in Pinckney

Heard on a radio show this morning from caller and an avid storm chaser measured 2.5" of Hail in Pinckney

WOW thats insane!

And how about Ann Arbor the past year or so. After getting over an inch less snow than Detroit last winter (ARB had 67.7" to DTWs 69.1"), they managed to accumulate 40" of snow this disaster of a winter (to Detroits 26") and in the first real severe outbreak they have a tornadic cell literally swirl around them for like an hour lol. They are a magnet!

WOW thats insane!

And how about Ann Arbor the past year or so. After getting over an inch less snow than Detroit last winter (ARB had 67.7" to DTWs 69.1"), they managed to accumulate 40" of snow this disaster of a winter (to Detroits 26") and in the first real severe outbreak they have a tornadic cell literally swirl around them for like an hour lol. They are a magnet!

I measured 35" here and to see the activity so far across SEMI. You have to say that this area is pretty active weather wise. I will admit besides seeing a widespread 15"+ snow event. Pretty cool weather area.

WOW thats insane!

Don't want to go home for the summer :(

(Btw, when I reported that I had gotten 40" here, I was using a Coop observer location at the University of Michigan, not ARB data. I'm not sure if that's where you got the 40" from or what the snowfall was at ARB.)

I measured 35" here and to see the activity so far across SEMI. You have to say that this area is pretty active weather wise. I will admit besides seeing a widespread 15"+ snow event. Pretty cool weather area.

Only 25.5" here but yeah, call it nickel and dime or whatever, but yes, being such an active weather area (even tho much is in small doses) is what saved this winter from seeing such ungodly low snowfall numbers so many other northern places did.

Don't want to go home for the summer :(

(Btw, when I reported that I had gotten 40" here, I was using a Coop observer location at the University of Michigan, not ARB data. I'm not sure if that's where you got the 40" from or what the snowfall was at ARB.)

Yeah thats what I used when I said ARB, U of M has snowfall records to 1880, I think those are considered the "official" numbers for A2.

lol ok back on topic

Apparently we only had just over an inch of precip here at the university yesterday, which is surprising given the amount of flooding. Although the worst of the flooding did occur to the west of here where totals were probably higher.

Probably U of M students. Which explains a lot. :)

44-36806-B.jpg

Because Students would totally be out in Dexter during classes

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DETROIT/PONTIAC MI  

1149 AM EDT FRI MAR 16 2012    

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON    

.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                

..REMARKS..    

0649 PM     TORNADO          3 SSW COLUMBIAVILLE     43.12N 83.43W  

03/15/2012                   LAPEER             MI   NWS STORM SURVEY                

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM DAMAGE SURVEY CONFIRMED A TORNADO IN LAPEER COUNTY. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN EF2...WITH MAXIUMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 125 MPH. THE ESTIMATED  PATH LENGTH OF THE TORNADO IS 4.5 MILES WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF 400 YARDS. DAMAGE PRIMARLY CONSISTED OF UPROOTED TREES AND MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE. THE MOST INTENSE DAMAGE OCCURRED ALONG CARPENTER RD...ROUGHLY ONE QUARTER MILE SOUTH OF STANLEY RD WHERE A HOUSE WAS SHIFTED OFF OF THE FOUNDATION AND AN ATTACHED GARAGE WAS DESTROYED.  

1149 AM EDT FRI MAR 16 2012

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0649 PM TORNADO 3 SSW COLUMBIAVILLE 43.12N 83.43W

03/15/2012 LAPEER MI NWS STORM SURVEY

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM DAMAGE SURVEY CONFIRMED A TORNADO IN LAPEER COUNTY. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN EF2...WITH MAXIUMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 125 MPH. THE ESTIMATED PATH LENGTH OF THE TORNADO IS 4.5 MILES WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF 400 YARDS. DAMAGE PRIMARLY CONSISTED OF UPROOTED TREES AND MINOR STRUCTURAL DAMAGE. THE MOST INTENSE DAMAGE OCCURRED ALONG CARPENTER RD...ROUGHLY ONE QUARTER MILE SOUTH OF STANLEY RD WHERE A HOUSE WAS SHIFTED OFF OF THE FOUNDATION AND AN ATTACHED GARAGE WAS DESTROYED.

That is pretty wild as the location of this tornado is ~1 mile from my old house there in the mid/late 90s. This was the best t-storm location I ever lived. In fact I typically go to this area when I storm chase because I know the area very well and my results are typically very good.

Good to know there there is no mention of injurys from this event.

This is interesting. I don't remember hearing many accounts of cars tipping in an EF0. Other vehicles yes.

Still awaiting Dexter results.

128 PM EDT FRI MAR 16 2012

..REMARKS..

0651 PM TORNADO 3 S IDA 41.87N 83.56W

03/15/2012 MONROE MI EMERGENCY MNGR

A TORNADO WAS CONFIRMED IN CENTRAL MONROE COUNTY. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN EF0...WITH MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 85 MPH. THE ESTIMATED PATH LENGTH OF THE TORNADO IS 0.5 MILES WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF 50 YARDS. DAMAGE OCCURRED AT IDA CENTER ROAD JUST EAST OF LEWIS ROAD. THE DAMAGE CONSISTED OF SIDING AND SHINGLES BLOWN OFF OF A HOUSE...A TIPPED CAR...A SHED DESTROYED AND TREES BLOWN DOWN.

This is interesting. I don't remember hearing many accounts of cars tipping in an EF0. Other vehicles yes.

Still awaiting Dexter results.

128 PM EDT FRI MAR 16 2012

..REMARKS..

0651 PM TORNADO 3 S IDA 41.87N 83.56W

03/15/2012 MONROE MI EMERGENCY MNGR

A TORNADO WAS CONFIRMED IN CENTRAL MONROE COUNTY. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN EF0...WITH MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 85 MPH. THE ESTIMATED PATH LENGTH OF THE TORNADO IS 0.5 MILES WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF 50 YARDS. DAMAGE OCCURRED AT IDA CENTER ROAD JUST EAST OF LEWIS ROAD. THE DAMAGE CONSISTED OF SIDING AND SHINGLES BLOWN OFF OF A HOUSE...A TIPPED CAR...A SHED DESTROYED AND TREES BLOWN DOWN.

Dexter rated EF3

348 PM EDT FRI MAR 16 2012

..REMARKS..

0517 PM TORNADO 4 S PINCKNEY 42.39N 83.96W

03/15/2012 WASHTENAW MI NWS STORM SURVEY

A NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STORM DAMAGE SURVEY CONFIRMED A TORNADO IN WASHTENAW COUNTY. THE TORNADO WAS RATED AN EF3...WITH MAXIMUM WIND SPEEDS OF 135 TO 140 MPH. THE ESTIMATED PATH LENGTH OF THE TORNADO IS 7.2 MILES WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH OF 800 YARDS. THE MOST INTENSE DAMAGE INCLUDED HOUSES DESTROYED WITH SOME INTERIOR ROOMS REMAINING.

Eaton County back in 2007, the same day that Fenton was hit with an EF-2. I believe it was the same storm actually.

Here is a good read about the event and the last significant tornadoes in the state http://blogs.woodtv.com/2012/03/15/confirmed-tornado-near-dexter-near-ann-arbor/

That was another event where tornado probe were quite low, only 2%.

Archived