• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
2012 March Banter Thread

CooL

notice p008 still showing the monster storm...it's also showing a huge storm in western canada which pumps up the ridge. the more amplified ensemble members have a stronger storm north of the international border post 100 hrs.

yeah, i zoomed in and posted 008 above. Forky is right, if its just a ho hum vort it won't do it by itself, we either need extreme amplification or southern stream phasing

its something to watch

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, on the plus side, we have cold air, a ridge out west with no kickers, and some ridging into greenland, albeit it very temporary. The H5 energy of the northern stream also continues to trend strong, at least on the gfs.

On the minus sidge, it appears, at least right no, that we aren't going to get much help or any from the southern stream, the pattern is still progressive, and its THIS winter.

Expect nothing, but keep both eyes on it IMHO.

Pretty much agree w/ your analysis. Something to watch, but still a long shot to get a significant snow given the progressive nature of this pattern. Heavy reliance on the northern short wave itself to pump heights out ahead, slow itself down, etc, which is somewhat difficult to accomplish w/o 50-50 vortex or downstream blocking. But nevertheless this is probably our last threat of snow for awhile.

Pretty much agree w/ your analysis. Something to watch, but still a long shot to get a significant snow given the progressive nature of this pattern. Heavy reliance on the northern short wave itself to pump heights out ahead, slow itself down, etc, which is somewhat difficult to accomplish w/o 50-50 vortex or downstream blocking. But nevertheless this is probably our last threat of snow for awhile.

I will say - different than most set-ups this winter - we have the cold air, a fairly potent short wave; I think there's a decent chance for a couple inches of snow out of this (with lower potential for something else), which of course would be biblical in the non winter of 2011-12.

I will say - different than most set-ups this winter - we have the cold air, a fairly potent short wave; I think there's a decent chance for a couple inches of snow out of this (with lower potential for something else), which of course would be biblical in the non winter of 2011-12.

the cold is real, that much is certain. Say a prayer and rub your rabbits foot for the rest.

The shortwave prior to it really sucks..it's so poorly timed. If the shortwave we're seeing modeled to drop down and give us our storm was coming into a slightly less broad flow..forget about it.

Guest Pamela

Would not be suprised if Boston Logan is virtually all rain for the balance of this the (2/29 - 3/1) event; JM's protests nonwithstanding...

Would not be suprised if Boston Logan is virtually all rain for the balance of this the (2/29 - 3/1) event; JM's protests nonwithstanding...

010254 OVC007 5 -RABR 36 33 0817 162 002 009

NAM has them cooling down a little bit over hte next few hours..it looks like the 10m winds go from a more due E direction to a NE direction...I would think they'll flip back before the event is over. If it doesn't happen tonight or tomorrow morning..it will likely happen by 18-21z with the last batch of precipitation as the surface low gets going east of the cape.

But I would think the best snows would be on the W-NW sides of RT 128 for sure.

IDK what "protests" you mean...

If their winds veer more to the NNE, Boston stands a better chance at getting more snow and some decent accums, since the precip looks like it will re-develop over the area due to the approach of the 500mb trough and coastal low. If they stay east, they have a good chance at a bust. Heavy enough precip either way could flip them back to snow anyway at times.

If I were to say a number right now for Logan I'd put it at 3" total. I think they still get snow as the coastal leaves and winds then do look like they veer to a northerly direction. The highest amounts look to be along the Berks, near ORH, and maybe up towards Concord.

The vorticity on the 00z GFS looks like the same strung out, progressive piece of crap we've seen all winter. Nothing congealing into a more organized, potent short wave..just a disorganized mess. With nothing to slow down the flow, there's not much going for a stronger coastal low, but I still think there's a chance we can pop a weak low out of this w/ maybe some minor snows.

Archived