Newest Member
    joxey
High wind/Major wind damage thread/obs/Wiz ham reports

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-218-0-29542700-1330112957.jpg

Image is the 12z NAM valid 18z Saturday.

Overlaid are the 850 winds in knots & 1000-850 lapse rates. Soundings from both the GFS and NAM have shown near dry-adiabatic profiles to 850mb (some hours and locales more like 800 mb), at times Saturday. Notice the NAM showing the better than 9C/km low-level lapse rates across a big chunk of SNE early tomorrow afternoon.

As today/tonight's system bombs out northeast of Maine the backside jet really rips across all of NYS (tonight) and over New England on Saturday. While the core of strongest winds (65 to 75 knots at 850) happen during the morning hours and then shift offshore, lapse rates are deeper during the midday and afternoon period and winds aloft are still quite strong - 45 to 55 knots at 850.

Closer examination of the soundings show mean winds in the BL across a lot of SNE in the 35-45 knot range. Past experience would suggest that's good for a lot of 40 to 50 mph gusts alone.

But throughout just about all of the region - and for most of the day - winds atop the mixing layer are frequently in the range of 50 to 60 knots. Down on the Cape and out on ACK, mean winds are closer to 50 knots in the morning with winds atop the BL at times peaking closer to 65 knots.

MOS is even showing most of the region with sustained 20 to 30 knots of wind Sat - for MOS, that's a red flag.

I could see two pulses to this event - one during the 7-10AM period Sat morning (more so in E & SE areas) then again from midday through mid-afternoon for the entire area. Without foliage or precipitation falling, there shouldn't be widespread CTBlizz devastation, but probably enough tree/limb damage to cause some isolated to scattered power outages etc.

Event should be good for a lot of Ginx tree top gusts and plenty of 50+ mph reports across SNE. Wiz get the ham ready.

post-218-0-29542700-1330112957.jpg

Image is the 12z NAM valid 18z Saturday.

Overlaid are the 850 winds in knots & 1000-850 lapse rates. Soundings from both the GFS and NAM have shown near dry-adiabatic profiles to 850mb (some hours and locales more like 800 mb), at times Saturday. Notice the NAM showing the better than 9C/km low-level lapse rates across a big chunk of SNE early tomorrow afternoon.

As today/tonight's system bombs out northeast of Maine the backside jet really rips across all of NYS (tonight) and over New England on Saturday. While the core of strongest winds (65 to 75 knots at 850) happen during the morning hours and then shift offshore, lapse rates are deeper during the midday and afternoon period and winds aloft are still quite strong - 45 to 55 knots at 850.

Closer examination of the soundings show mean winds in the BL across a lot of SNE in the 35-45 knot range. Past experience would suggest that's good for a lot of 40 to 50 mph gusts alone.

But throughout just about all of the region - and for most of the day - winds atop the mixing layer are frequently in the range of 50 to 60 knots. Down on the Cape and out on ACK, mean winds are closer to 50 knots in the morning with winds atop the BL at times peaking closer to 65 knots.

MOS is even showing most of the region with sustained 20 to 30 knots of wind Sat - for MOS, that's a red flag.

I could see two pulses to this event - one during the 7-10AM period Sat morning (more so in E & SE areas) then again from midday through mid-afternoon for the entire area. Without foliage or precipitation falling, there shouldn't be widespread CTBlizz devastation, but probably enough tree/limb damage to cause some isolated to scattered power outages etc.

Event should be good for a lot of Ginx tree top gusts and plenty of 50+ mph reports across SNE. Wiz get the ham ready.

Nice post, explains a lot, thanks. Nice to have interesting weather again to discuss. I will keep an eye peeled on the tree tops.

May have been, but when threads get merged it defualts to the 1st post created, and that was Kevs. :(

I could just delete his post and that would make it all better.

I'm surprised you didn't do it ..you must deete a good 1/4 of all my posts..between you and Dendrite.

At any rate...looks like damaging gusts tomorrow

HWW here

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

412 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2012

CTZ004-MAZ004>007-012>019-026-RIZ001>004-250515-

/O.UPG.KBOX.WI.Y.0006.120225T1100Z-120226T0100Z/

/O.NEW.KBOX.HW.W.0002.120225T0900Z-120226T0000Z/

WINDHAM CT-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-

WESTERN ESSEX MA-EASTERN ESSEX MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-

WESTERN NORFOLK MA-SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX MA-SUFFOLK MA-

EASTERN NORFOLK MA-NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-WESTERN PLYMOUTH MA-

EASTERN PLYMOUTH MA-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-

SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...BARRE...

FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...LAWRENCE...GLOUCESTER...

MILFORD...WORCESTER...FOXBORO...NORWOOD...CAMBRIDGE...BOSTON...

QUINCY...TAUNTON...BROCKTON...PLYMOUTH...AYER...FOSTER...

SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...WEST GREENWICH...WARWICK

412 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2012

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 7 PM EST SATURDAY. THE

WIND ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...NORTHEAST CONNECTICUT...NORTHERN AND CENTRAL RHODE

ISLAND...MOST OF CENTRAL AND EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS.

* HAZARDS...STRONG GUSTY WINDS.

* WINDS...WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 MPH.

* TIMING...WINDS WILL BECOME WEST AND INCREASE TONIGHT. WINDS WILL

CONTINUE SATURDAY WITH SPEEDS REACHING THEIR STRONGEST VALUES.

WIND WILL DIMINISH SATURDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...STRONG GUSTY WINDS WILL EASILY BLOW ABOUT LIGHTER

ITEMS SUCH AS TRASH CANS. THESE STRONG WINDS CAN ALSO KNOCK DOWN

SMALL TREE LIMBS AND BRANCHES. WINDS THIS STRONG CAN ALSO MAKE

DRIVING DIFFICULT...ESPECIALLY FOR HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES. USE

EXTRA CAUTION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS OF 40 MPH ARE

EXPECTED FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR...WITH GUSTS OF 58 MPH OR GREATER

AT ANY TIME. DAMAGE TO TREES...POWER LINES...AND PROPERTY ARE

POSSIBLE WITH WIND OF THIS MAGNITUDE. POWER OUTAGES ARE LIKELY.

TAKE ACTION NOW TO SECURE ANY LOOSE OUTDOOR OBJECTS.

&&

$$

few different spots...don't think it includes Tolland county...just windham

LOL..that makes sense...their warning/advisory systems have become a comeplete joke..to the point that tv mets won't even use them anymore.

So when BDl is ripping gusts to 55+ tomorrow morning and they upgrade to HWW..it'll look like they verified

Big wind tmorrow...I love win except not when I'm working bc when th wind is blowing it blows against me and when I be walking that makes it harder to walk so it increases the walking time I hhave to walk to work and tomorrow I have to leave no later than 712 bc I want to be there when I get there to do. What I have to do. Its always very interesting like if a poll falls down what a poop and that would suck...do I have work or not? No I don't if I don't if they dthe on't have power and tha happens a lot when. Thee wind blows and at least in summer wind is warm bc its sumer

Archived