• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

Wow, was hot hot hot today with heat index values between 100-105 all afternoon and into the evening.

There was plenty of instability as NEOH mentioned, and things really blew in a hurry along the lake breeze after 8pm...storms were very electrified and quickly went severe, while people were waiting for fireworks. Hope no one was injured outside by these storms, although another active day in northern Ohio!

Personally whitnessed pea sized hail in Auburn while driving home.

The storms last night went up right overhead and moved south. Nice view of the lightning behind the storms.

Another soaker this morning... with a few strong winds gusts as well.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The storms last night went up right overhead and moved south. Nice view of the lightning behind the storms.

Another soaker this morning... with a few strong winds gusts as well.

The rain has been very welcome. We've had decent, soaking rains now for several days in a row, the grass and trees are starting to green up again, it's great to see.

I am really looking forward to the front coming through over the weekend and putting an end to this extreme heat.

Vermillion just got hit after missing the past several days with severe weather

Ya, a lot of northern Ohio has been hit good at least once this week...

Lots of areas away from the lake may hit 100 tomorrow...will be interesting to see how many climo sites can snag the value.

Ya, a lot of northern Ohio has been hit good at least once this week...

Lots of areas away from the lake may hit 100 tomorrow...will be interesting to see how many climo sites can snag the value.

Seems almost every day the lakebreeze pushes well inland. I'm guessing 94 max for MBY. Inland locations should come close to the 100 degree mark.

Really feeling the heat and humidity today. Temp is 96 and the dew is 73 IMBY.

Hopefully the lake breeze storms won't be the only show for today. Be nice to get a line to develop along the front but the lake breeze might just squash things for this area.

98 F in Chagrin Falls today. I heard some thunder in the distant south around 2 p.m.; those were the storms around Twinsburg and Ravenna.

The cold front is doing a backdoor job this afternoon, the NDBC site at Conneaut is in the 70s at 4 p.m., Geneva is 81 F and Fairport is 87 F. A few more hours of hot air, the cooler air tonight should feel like quite the change to most people.

Unbelievably temp/dewpoint combos.

CLE was 97/77 for one hour, giving a heat index of 113. I would not be surprised if that's the highest heat index ever recorded here.

BKL was sitting on a dewpoint of 79 earlier.

Looking at some of the personal weather stations on wunderground, a handful of 81 and 82 dewpoints along eastern coastal Cuyahoga County around Euclid.

Can you say Gulf of Lake Erie?

Unbelievably temp/dewpoint combos.

CLE was 97/77 for one hour, giving a heat index of 113. I would not be surprised if that's the highest heat index ever recorded here.

BKL was sitting on a dewpoint of 79 earlier.

Looking at some of the personal weather stations on wunderground, a handful of 81 and 82 dewpoints along eastern coastal Cuyahoga County around Euclid.

Can you say Gulf of Lake Erie?

Amazing, I never looked at the dewpoints today. Thanks for sharing. We went to the outdoor birthday party with my daughter and a bike ride, when we got home my wife and I both collapsed for about a hour. That isn't like us, of course our daughter is still bouncing off the walls.

This is definitely a keeper. Note the pool of 80+ dewpoints over the incredibly warm waters of Lake Erie. Lake Erie will no doubt shatter historical water temperatures as we pull into the actual summer season.

post-599-0-30173400-1341691580_thumb.gif

Low stratus clouds from the "cooler" lake air are pushing across Erie this afternoon:

KERI 072015Z 00000KT 6SM HZ BKN006 27/23 A2989 RMK AO2

KERI 071959Z 29008KT 5SM HZ FEW008 28/24 A2990 RMK AO2

KERI 071951Z 32008KT 6SM HZ CLR 29/24 A2989 RMK AO2 SLP117 T02890239

Must be the Nantucket effect.

Sure feels nice out there this morning with temps in the low 60's. Temps will most likely over perform this week with the dry soils. Really surprised more storms didn't form along the cold front... but the lake breeze complicated things as usual.

Looks like our next shot at rain will be on Saturday.

My red oak is dropping acorns already. Started a few weeks back. This is definitely the earliest I can remember.

Let's hope these near record warm lake temperatures help us with some blockbuster LES events this winter!

The GFS looks to dump quite a bit of rain on us over the next few weeks;

16 day TOTAL PRECIP: 4.76 " and Convective: 4.36 "

The 40 foot depth temperature off Cleveland sits at 76. Normal for this time of year is 70. The average max generally occurs in Mid August around 74. So we are well on our way to surpassing the record of 79 set during August of 1988. We've had so many sunny days, the lake just absorbs all that solar radiation. Another heat spell late month and the lake will be sizzling into the lower 80s ... and that's the 40' depth. Surface temps will be unreal.

Fall temps are generally most critical in determining the final surface temps, but with these ridiculous positive anomalies, it will take a very cold fall to bring the lake temps down to even normal temps.

Compared to last year, the amount of sun and rain free days makes this feel like an entirely different climate.

Let's hope these near record warm lake temperatures help us with some blockbuster LES events this winter!

The GFS looks to dump quite a bit of rain on us over the next few weeks;

16 day TOTAL PRECIP: 4.76 " and Convective: 4.36 "

Sure wish that run would have held. Latest run has really backed off on the precip for this weekend. Oh well, I'd rather not have a rainy Saturday despite needing the moisture.

The 40 foot depth temperature off Cleveland sits at 76. Normal for this time of year is 70. The average max generally occurs in Mid August around 74. So we are well on our way to surpassing the record of 79 set during August of 1988. We've had so many sunny days, the lake just absorbs all that solar radiation. Another heat spell late month and the lake will be sizzling into the lower 80s ... and that's the 40' depth. Surface temps will be unreal.

Fall temps are generally most critical in determining the final surface temps, but with these ridiculous positive anomalies, it will take a very cold fall to bring the lake temps down to even normal temps.

Compared to last year, the amount of sun and rain free days makes this feel like an entirely different climate.

Yeah, it's a completely different summer than last year. I'm definitely liking the dry weather compared to last year. The extreme heat no so much. Have the mosquitos even hatched near the lake? You could barely sit outside last year without being eaten alive. I haven't even seen a mosquito this year.

Last year there seemed to be major algae blooms on the western basin. Haven't heard anything about it this year despite the warm water.

The way this month is going, this could be the first time since 1955 that CLE does't record any sub 80 degree highs in the month of July. A typical July will see 11 days with highs in the 70s.

The only way it's going to happen is if we get some convection and rain cooled air for a day.

I was looking at the Wundground.com web site, and it has surface data several years back. I am posting these pics to help you guys cool off. Looks like Lorain OH had a wind chill of -9 on Dec. 17, 2000, at 9PM (01z). That was one brutally cold month. I seem to remember constant teens temperatures.

post-1182-0-16443100-1342204664_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-22429900-1342204663_thumb.pn

Can the rain make it into Northern Ohio today? CLE seems rather bullish as usual... mentioning heavy rains and training t'storms. A simple rain shower has been hard to come by so I'm skeptical. The dying storms to the west look to slide just southeast of the area but may brush the western burbs.

Can the rain make it into Northern Ohio today? CLE seems rather bullish as usual... mentioning heavy rains and training t'storms. A simple rain shower has been hard to come by so I'm skeptical. The dying storms to the west look to slide just southeast of the area but may brush the western burbs.

They've managed to get the rain part right but the rainfall amounts have been trifling. We got a storm yesterday alright, it last maybe 90 - 120 seconds then sun was back out. It all evaporated within a half hour.

Well, we did manage to squeak out an 80 before the storms and clouds arrived, so the 80+ streak continues at 23 days. Tomorrow looks close, but after that the streak would easily live on.

They've managed to get the rain part right but the rainfall amounts have been trifling. We got a storm yesterday alright, it last maybe 90 - 120 seconds then sun was back out. It all evaporated within a half hour.

I was out of town yesterday... I heard that it "stormed" but so no obvious signs of water by the time my flight landed. We flew around some large towers down south which is always fun.

Well, we did manage to squeak out an 80 before the storms and clouds arrived, so the 80+ streak continues at 23 days. Tomorrow looks close, but after that the streak would easily live on.

Looks like I busted on the rain call. This is the first time this summer storms have moved west to east... without diving SE of the area. Enjoy the rain.

Finally got some rain here, somewhere between a quarter to half inch. Euro was showing another inch or so today/tonight, and we need every drop of it

Picked up about the same here... right around .50. Not sure how much redevelopment there will be given the cloud cover.

Looks as though more rain is in MI headed this way. However, I am skeptical since the storm track has resumed a NW - SE track. Today's setup reminds me of 7/5 when we had morning rainfall, but anything else broke up once it moved from MI into the Lake. That might happen again given the craptastic location for rain & storms the CLE area (within 20 miles of the Lake) has been in all summer.

...Looks like the next batch of storms is going to pass south of here. Congratulations are in store for Canton and points south...again...

2012 has been the Year of Futility. We've been pretty much stuck in a rotten pattern since about Veteran's Day 2011. Since then, a GIANT SUPER 500mb ridge of high pressure, parked generally over the Central/Eastern plains, has been 1) partially responsible for our lousy winter by deflecting the really cold air east instead of coming south out of Canada (+AO/+NAO was the other culprit) 2) by sitting over the area and baking us in the awful heat and 3) by keeping any meaningful precip from getting anywhere near the area, except for some thunderstorm activity which seems (with the exception of today and 7/5) to ALWAYS miss us to the south.

I firmly believe that NE Ohio is one of the hardest hit areas by this drought (compared to the rest of the state as we have missed out on the lions share of the rain). I also think things will remain the same at least until mid or late September. However with the Super Ridge, the general crappy pattern could well continue much later into the fall and I wouldn't be suprised if it again had some kind of effect on the upcoming winter.

Yes, there is an El Nino developing, which one would think would help to dissipate the Super Ridge but this ridge is so immense, it may take a lot of time to break it down. Sort of like turning an aircraft carrier.

We'll see, but with the persistent very negative PDO sustaining the Alaskan Low/Gulf of Alaska trough which downstream, sustains the Super Ridge...I don't know. Guess we'll have to stay tuned.

Archived