• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

It was foggy on the way to work today. Something hit the roof of my car with a big thud on my way home through the thunderstorm last evening. Fortunately there was no damage.

Looks like there is a boundary setup south of here as the areas near the lakeshore (CLE & BKL) are reporting N - NW winds, but CAK and YNG have SW winds and calm winds respectively. The same areas in west PA that got slammed yesterday are getting slammed again.

Looks like some storms over north IN are moving due east towards Ohio. If they hold up & don't lose energy to other storms (esp. to the south and over the lake) we may be seeing activity this evening. I sure hope so!

The boundary looks to be hovering around northern summit and portage. Yep, W PA is getting rocked again today.

Any storms to affect the central lakeshore will have to push in from the west. Not sure what will happen today... the lake breeze is the wild card. What's crazy is that winds are northwesterly with a low pressure area in southern mighigan... doesn't that go against the laws of physics. No stopping the lake breeze this year.

Hopefully a line forms in MI or IN and presses east.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was suprised to see the storm hold together yesterday evening and roll through the city and eastern burbs. Nice wind gusts and rainfall with the storm. You could hear the roar of the wind and rain before it hit. There were actually some limbs down in the neighborhood... but they were probably weak from the drought.

Hopefully we can pull off a miracle today and get storms two days in a row.

Soupy out there this morning.

LoL. I caught that storm leaving Cleveland yesterday evening, and basically drove in moderate to heavy rain on I-80 all the way to the I-76 interchange.

Driving down E 116th St wasn't too fun. Lol

LoL. I caught that storm leaving Cleveland yesterday evening, and basically drove in moderate to heavy rain on I-80 all the way to the I-76 interchange.

Driving down E 116th St wasn't too fun. Lol

Ouch. Not a fun drive. What the heck were you doing on E.116th...

The 40' water depth off Cleveland is at 80 which now ties the record warmest reading. Any heat spell will push that warmer through August.

July 2012 will also go down as the second warmest month on record for Cleveland.

The 40' water depth off Cleveland is at 80 which now ties the record warmest reading. Any heat spell will push that warmer through August.

July 2012 will also go down as the second warmest month on record for Cleveland.

Shame that big old bath tub will cool as quickly as it warmed this fall. I can only imagine how warm some of the near shore temps are.

Looks like the overnight storms may hurt todays storm potential. Winds have already gone westerly here. Hopefully a line will pop later this afternoon. Inland areas will have the best shot of course.

Shame that big old bath tub will cool as quickly as it warmed this fall. I can only imagine how warm some of the near shore temps are.

Looks like the overnight storms may hurt todays storm potential. Winds have already gone westerly here. Hopefully a line will pop later this afternoon. Inland areas will have the best shot of course.

Winds are still SW here so I am still east of the OFB, cumulus are featuring but no real upward growth yet.

Winds are still SW here so I am still east of the OFB, cumulus are featuring but no real upward growth yet.

NW winds, full sun, and temps in the mid to upper 80's out there... story of the summer IMBY. Storm potential is just about nill at this point i'm guessing.

I guess we did break the record for warmest Lake Erie temperature:

CLE hasn't issued a statement, but this is imbedded in some of the records pages:

ALTHOUGH WEATHER DATA BUOYS HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IN RECENT YEARS TO

SAMPLE AND REPORT THE WATER TEMPERATURE CLOSE TO THE SURFACE OF THE

LAKE...THE DATA FROM THE CLEVELAND WATER DEPARTMENT'S CRIB 40 FEET

DOWN IN THE LAKE ABOUT 3 MILES OFFSHORE HAS BEEN USED FOR THE

OFFICIAL DATA SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE CENTURY.

THE RECORD HIGH WATER TEMPERATURE FROM THE CRIB IS 79 DEGREES WHICH

WAS SET IN AUGUST DURING THE VERY HOT SUMMER OF 1988. THAT READING

WAS REPORTED EACH DAY FROM THE AUGUST 16TH THROUGH THE 28TH.

Note:

THE RECORD WATER TEMPERATURE WAS TIED ON JULY 21ST 1998 WHEN THE TEMPERATURE

REACHED 79 DEGREES.

Today: Northeast winds 5 to 15 knots diminishing to 10 knots or less. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 to 3 feet.

Tonight: East winds 10 knots or less becoming south. Mostly clear. Waves 2 feet or less.

Thursday: South winds 10 knots or less becoming southwest. Mostly sunny. Waves 2 feet or less.

Thursday Night: Southwest winds 10 knots or less becoming northeast and increasing to 10 to 20 knots. Mostly cloudy in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. Waves 1 to 3 feet.

see lake erie open lakes forecast for friday through sunday.

the water temperature off toledo is 76 degrees...off cleveland 80 degrees and off erie 77 degrees.

CLE is also running a little over 2 degrees warmer than any other Jan-Jul period. So the record hottest year of 1998 is already in serious contention with 5 months to go.

The record warm lake temperatures will likely result in much warmer overnight fall low temperatures as well. The current lake temperature is an astounding 80 degrees ... in about 75 days we legitimately can start having LES storms.

Dropped down to 59 IMBY... first time in a long time its been below 60. Nice to open up the windows again.

Hard to believe that the local area missed most of the heavier rainfall over the weekend while areas to the west and north picked up several inches. It's just one of those summers.

Hopefully the rainfall on the models for the weekend can deliver.

Copying this image from the main August thread...but the STL WRF is showing a heavy bout of lake effect rain Thursday-Friday! Wouldn't that be a way to bust the drought?

Still aways out... but looking pretty good for a soaker. Euro really pours it on the central and eastern lakeshore. It won't take much cool air to get the lake going with surface temps in the upper 70's.

Still aways out... but looking pretty good for a soaker. Euro really pours it on the central and eastern lakeshore. It won't take much cool air to get the lake going with surface temps in the upper 70's.

Yes, the Euro shows a solution that in winter would result in a major lake effect snow storm. Given the inevitably higher PWATs this time of year a lot of areas could see 1-2" of rain at some point between Thursday-Saturday. Winds start out NE and then veer more NNW so a lot of areas could get wet at some point as the low moves to our south and the hooks up towards eastern Lake Erie.

Chalk up another 90 degree day at CLE. #24 for the year.

It hit 90 today? Certainly doesn't feel that warm but maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Looks like the heaviest rainfall may take a NW shift into MI depending on the low track. Anyway, it will be nice to get some into the area for a change.

It hit 90 today? Certainly doesn't feel that warm but maybe I'm just getting used to it.

Looks like the heaviest rainfall may take a NW shift into MI depending on the low track. Anyway, it will be nice to get some into the area for a change.

Ya, models really shifted NW with the track of the low and now dry slot us. Still looks like a potential shot at heavy rain tomorrow evening into Friday if all goes well. SPC has us outlined in 30% severe risk as well.

Looks like this rain event may be another dud, at least compared to the original forecasts of up to 2" of rain. Now the NWS has really backed off of the rainfall totals as we may get 1/4 - 3/4" out of this system.

Looks like a nice area of storms coming out of Indiana. They should get here around 3 - 4am IF they hold together. More storms formed...of course...to our south and east. Even with a stronger storm/frontal system, the lake breeze screwed us again.

...Story of the Endless Summer of 2012...I think we'll be lucky to get a half inch out of this.

Looks like this rain event may be another dud, at least compared to the original forecasts of up to 2" of rain. Now the NWS has really backed off of the rainfall totals as we may get 1/4 - 3/4" out of this system.

Looks like a nice area of storms coming out of Indiana. They should get here around 3 - 4am IF they hold together. More storms formed...of course...to our south and east. Even with a stronger storm/frontal system, the lake breeze screwed us again.

...Story of the Endless Summer of 2012...I think we'll be lucky to get a half inch out of this.

Unfortunetely the low track shifted well NW last minute and put the heavy synoptic rains to our north.

So far storms to the west are holding together, and interestingly enough there is a splitting supercell over Lake Erie near Sandusky...CLE warning the shoreline for 60MPH winds and golf ball sized hail and has a special marine warning out for possible waterspouts over the water. The hook just went over Cedar Point right around closing time as well...

post-525-0-54715000-1344567391_thumb.gif

Nice area of mod to heavy rain pushing through this morning... hitting the areas that missed out yesterday.

I expected the storms out west to push through last night. I heard some thunder but it doesn't appear we got much rain. Looks like the islands area was the jackpot for rainfall.

Archived