• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

I'm in Denver, appears the rains were hit or miss. Burke Airport didnt seem to get much, if any, rain the past few days. Judging from precipitation estimate maps, my backyard was lucky to get a tenth.

Trent - I'm pretty sure that the rain gauge at burke isn't functioning properly. Your area had to receive rain saturday and monday night.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pic. The towers were pretty cool yesterday.

Watch out now for the area. Looks like the lake breeze boundary is hanging around central geauga back west through northern summit. Unless the boundary moves back north, I'm not sure how much storm activity the lakeshore counties will see.

Edit: Heck of storm forming on the northern side of the line near Sandusky. Hopefully it doesn't lose its punch as it heads eastward toward cle.

Based on my extended data set for Cleveland, this summer will go down tied for sixth warmest on record. The first eight months of the year are easily the warmest on record.

post-8036-0-75177500-1346266706_thumb.pn

post-8036-0-40266000-1346266714_thumb.pn

Great stuff! I perused your blog and you've got some great graphs in there!

I think what makes temperature profiling difficult for Cleveland is that we have an unusual lake influence that unfortunately the (high + low)/2 method of temperature calculation does not take into effect.

Here at the lakeshore it's very common during the warm season months to have offshore winds until the lunch hour, then we get onshore winds and temps drop.

For example in summer, CLE may have an overnight low of 64, surge into the low 80s by 11 am, stay in the mid 80s through 7 pm and then cool once sunset occurs. So the average temp at CLE for the day would be 75 (64+86)/2.

On the contrary BKL along the lake will have an overnight low of 67, surge up to a daytime high of 84 at 11am, and then quickly drop and hover around 72 for the rest of the day once the onshore winds kick in just before the lunch hour. The average would be 75.5 (67+84)/2. In other words a half degree warmer by this mathematical equation than CLE, despite being significantly cooler if the temperatures were integrated.

In essence, the relatively cold afternoons and evenings in downtown Cleveland are irrelevant in the climate record compared to the inland airport.

I actually went swimming in Lake Erie yesterday. It's not even chilly with surface temps probably at 75.

The one plus about the potential weak/moderate niño is that historically winters with weak/mod niño conditions are very snowy for northern Ohio.

I actually went swimming in Lake Erie yesterday. It's not even chilly with surface temps probably at 75.

The one plus about the potential weak/moderate niño is that historically winters with weak/mod niño conditions are very snowy for northern Ohio.

I'm sure the water is stil quite comfortable near shore. Should be for another few weeks.

We've had some nice winters with a weak nino... not sure how much of a factor east/west based is for our area. The local TV weather people will soon be talking about how warm and snowless the winter will be since it's an el nino winter :axe:

Thanks NEOH. Ya, it definitely has cooled down some. I saw in another thread that going into late fall and winter with really warm lake temps really have little effect on les. Doesn't quite make sense unless you're near the shore i guess.

The above avg water temps would make more of a difference if lake erie were deeper. Lake erie, at least the western basin, is so shallow is cools as quickly as it warms. I'd rather have it be warm through mid-Nov to keep temps up... then flip to cold.

I'm surprised the drought monitor still has the region in abnormally dry and moderate drought conditions. The last 70-80 days have been rather wet. CLE is only running a yearly deficit of about an inch, which should get wiped out tomorrow.

It was 2010 that saw the late October high elevation LES event. Shouldn't be too much longer!

CLE didn't pick up as much rain as the brunt shifted well east. So far 0.71" at BKL so it appears the rain gauge there has been fixed. Browsing personal weather stations in the county, CLE is coming in as one of the driest today.

I expect to at least see some areas of northern Ohio get completely removed from the abnormally dry criteria; things are quite lush out there!

Most areas were a degree or two shy of a record low. I hit 48 lakeside, but with 71 degree waters that's impressive. Obviously SW winds kept the temp gradient between inland and coastal areas from getting extreme.

Lake Erie will nosedive the next two weeks.

Fall is definitely in the air. Had a great t'storm yesterday afternoon with hail. Just over 7" of rain for the month IMBY. Lake effect should get fired up this afternoon... winds are light and the visible satellite shows the boundary sitting just offshore. Trent probably has a great view of it from his BY. Off to the browns game.

It must have missed Chagrin Falls. I didn't even hear thunder Saturday evening.

I didn't hear any thunder either and the hail was very small/brief in both cases...if I didn't know any better I probably woulda called it sleet :lol:

Lake effect has taken over today and waterspouts have been again sighted over the lake. It seems like we've had more spouts than normal this fall.

Quite a bit of rain today for just 30% chance pops. It's basically been spitting off/on here for the past 2 days.

CLE has now entered the 10th rainiest September list today. CLE is essentially at normal for the year now. The drought monitor maps should have all of Northern Ohio cleared out of dry conditions next week, if not, then I have no idea what algorithms they use to calculate that. Even the 12 month precipitation anomalies are still +12"

I'm disappointed that yesterday's perfect lake effect scenario was wasted on an early season lake effect rain event. The almost due east/west lake effect rain plumes dumped 1.12" at BKL yesterday. That would have been an incredible snowstorm.

I'm disappointed that yesterday's perfect lake effect scenario was wasted on an early season lake effect rain event. The almost due east/west lake effect rain plumes dumped 1.12" at BKL yesterday. That would have been an incredible snowstorm.

Yeah, hopefully we can get a similar set-up when temps are cold enough for snow. That was about as perfect as it gets for the shoreline. I saw three waterspouts off of Lorain while at the game. The nosebleed seats were good for something.

Another soaker out there this morning. Nice band of rain/storms aligned with the central lakeshore. We've been lucky with rainfall this month.

Really noticed colors starting to pop on the trees this week. Looks like a string of mild days and cool nights coming up which should help with the foliage.

Archived