• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

No prob. Not much to do other than hunker down and enjoy the meteorlogical insanity that is unfolding.

Trent has a unique view on this storm...will probably see the worst conditions in the state...for better or worse.

Power outages beginning to unfold...over 1,000 out in Lorain County as of a few minutes ago.

With the long NNE fetch the western cuyahoga/lorain area should see the worst of the winds. Looks like the heaviest rains have been over that area as well today but we all get heavy rain tonight.

Time to sit back and watch the storm unfold.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Driving home, channel 19 was out on the west shoreway filming the waves. In fact, most of the traffic congestion was just people driving and gawking at the waves.

The rain so far has been just constant moderate rain, but we're easily looking at over 5 inches when all said and done.

looks BKL obs are down ... was hoping they'd catch an 80 mph gust tonight.

I'm at Lakewood park, just west of Trent. While the marine weather stations are reporting winds at about 35 knots with gusts of 45 knots on the lake. From my vantage point it looks like lots more than that. A big old tree (about 3 foot dia.) located maybe 200 feet from the cliff came down at 5:30PM taking out a 8000 Volt power line, cable TV and phone lines to the north side of the street.

I'm at Lakewood park, just west of Trent. While the marine weather stations are reporting winds at about 35 knots with gusts of 45 knots on the lake. From my vantage point it looks like lots more than that. A big old tree (about 3 foot dia.) located maybe 200 feet from the cliff came down at 5:30PM taking out a 8000 Volt power line, cable TV and phone lines to the north side of the street.

Keep in mind those are from 5 m above ground. At the international standard height of 10 m, Station 45005 is up to 37 knots (~43 mph) sustained winds. And a little higher, at 20 m above ground, winds are sustained at 41 knots (~47 mph).

With gusts just pushing 50MPH along the shore, there are already 15-16k customers without power in Lorain, Cuyahoga, and Lake Counties combined. Not good.

Winds at YNG have picked up considerably over the past hour as heavier rain bands have shifted into the area. Currently sustained out of the north at 31 mph, with gusts to 37 mph. You can really hear the wind picking up here. The wind speeds had been fairly mild most of the day.

At a friend's in Aurora...he's had two trees come down near by since I arrived at 7:30. I don't think gusts have hit 50 yet here. Power flickering a bit. Outage map lighting up. Gusting to 61MPH at BKL last hour...gusts will still come up another 10-15MPH areawide from where they are now and the heavy rain will continue.

Here in Aurora we've had a couple gusts probably to near 50...however, it's more of a steady 30MPH wind with gusts to 40MPH...the gusts seem to come in the heaviest precip. 850mb winds still progged to increase from near 60 kts now to 70-75kts from 11pm-5am give or take...I think a lot of people will end up in the dark.

Already almost 60k out in Cuyahoga county...113k out in Northern OH overall. Wow.

Power back on. Lost two trees. I'm sandwiched between areas with no power a block in either direction.

Looks like BKL must have lost power as all wind obs ended there. Easily 70+ mph winds last night. Just incredible. I see CLE had a 68 mph gust.

Quickly approaching top 10 rainiest month for ALL months.

Woke up with power... it flickered on and off all night. Power outages were scattered heading out to Chagrin. Hunting Valley and parts of Pepper Pike are in the dark. The Chagrin river is flooding as well.

Didn't lose any large trees, but small branches and limbs are down all over the place. Winds are still blowing pretty strong but much less as I headed south.

Power back on. Lost two trees. I'm sandwiched between areas with no power a block in either direction.

Looks like BKL must have lost power as all wind obs ended there. Easily 70+ mph winds last night. Just incredible. I see CLE had a 68 mph gust.

Quickly approaching top 10 rainiest month for ALL months.

Sucks to hear you lost trees but at least you have power. I can't imagine what the winds were like down by the lake last night. The winds gusts were so strong at some points my front bay window was shaking.

I wonder how much property was lost along the lake due to erosion.

Woke up with power... it flickered on and off all night. Power outages were scattered heading out to Chagrin. Hunting Valley and parts of Pepper Pike are in the dark. The Chagrin river is flooding as well.

Didn't lose any large trees, but small branches and limbs are down all over the place. Winds are still blowing pretty strong but much less as I headed south.

We had power flicker on and off a bunch of times here too but it ultimately stayed on all night. Our office in Beachwood stayed on too. We told employees to stay home today but some have no power, especially west-siders, so many have actually come in to work anyway.

Things look okay out in our immediate vecinity, no trees down or anything that I can see.

We had power flicker on and off a bunch of times here too but it ultimately stayed on all night. Our office in Beachwood stayed on too. We told employees to stay home today but some have no power, especially west-siders, so many have actually come in to work anyway.

Things look okay out in our immediate vecinity, no trees down or anything that I can see.

There was a noticeable increase in branches and limbs down once you go north of Fairmount. The hills probably reduced the winds speeds.

Ya here, it wasn't too bad. Gusted 45-50MPH for several hours but there were only a few instances where I think we gusted past 50MPH, generally with the heaviest precip between about midnight and 3am. Have a couple medium size limbs down but that's it.

Saw any number of power flashes last night driving around which was cool, and will see if there's any damage on the way up to school, which didn't close, but decided to call everyone at 5:40am telling everyone it wasn't closed. That prompted me to put my own three hour delay into effect.

The number of power outages is tremendous and what Sandy did is almost unprecidented, so this was definitely a cool event. Now, time to watch "Superstorm Sandy" rain herself out over the next couple days.

50 straight hours of rain here. Just stopped with the next batch coming in an hour or so.

Since Friday, CLE has recorded 5.41" of rain. Second wettest October on record and 12th wettest for any month. We could easily move into 4th wettest any month by tomorrow.

Ya here, it wasn't too bad. Gusted 45-50MPH for several hours but there were only a few instances where I think we gusted past 50MPH, generally with the heaviest precip between about midnight and 3am. Have a couple medium size limbs down but that's it.

Saw any number of power flashes last night driving around which was cool, and will see if there's any damage on the way up to school, which didn't close, but decided to call everyone at 5:40am telling everyone it wasn't closed. That prompted me to put my own three hour delay into effect.

The number of power outages is tremendous and what Sandy did is almost unprecidented, so this was definitely a cool event. Now, time to watch "Superstorm Sandy" rain herself out over the next couple days.

Power is now out at our place in Chagrin Falls. Hoping it'll only be a few hours but not counting on it.

Power is now out at our place in Chagrin Falls. Hoping it'll only be a few hours but not counting on it.

Strange that it would go out so long after the strongest winds. Driving up through Solon and Bedford Heights, the number of tree limbs and whole trees downed increased as I hit the higher terrain, so NE OH might be right about the strongest winds having trouble mixing down past the hills. Nothing too major but there are certainly scattered limbs and a few whole trees down up here.

Still almost 250k customers out across northern OH. I'm not sure but I do believe this easily surpasses Ike's outage total up here, as Ike was on the downswing and featuerd the more conventional SW winds as it hit northern OH.

Follow-up:

It was 5PM Monday that the tree came down. Reports are that the noise and the arcing & sparking were exciting!

They still don't have power.

At 9PM a neighbor came across the street to store ice cream in our freezer. This was too much temptation for the wind gods (from sailboating we know to never tempt the wind gods) and our power went out before he got back to his house.

Our power was restored at 1AM.

Boating photos.

Whiskey Island:

http://www.newsnet5....nk-in-lake-erie

Rocky River:

http://www.newsnet5....uperstorm-sandy

Archived