SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The high res models were pretty good at picking that snowfall up a few days ago. They were quite consistent in a very long, but narrow stripe of decent snows from SW Michigan all the way to PA.

What a beautiful day, wish i could have been outside to enjoy it! NWS page says its 68, sure feels like spring.

On a slightly off topic subject, the time has come that I need to start looking at houses. Being a snow lover, i want to stay on the east side, possibly a little further into the snowbelt, and at the same time not too far from work (solon). What are some good communities to look at? Right now Chagrin falls is at the top of my list. Solon, beachwood and chesterland are a few of the others. I have also heard aurora and twinsburg are fairly nice.

What a beautiful day, wish i could have been outside to enjoy it! NWS page says its 68, sure feels like spring.

On a slightly off topic subject, the time has come that I need to start looking at houses. Being a snow lover, i want to stay on the east side, possibly a little further into the snowbelt, and at the same time not too far from work (solon). What are some good communities to look at? Right now Chagrin falls is at the top of my list. Solon, beachwood and chesterland are a few of the others. I have also heard aurora and twinsburg are fairly nice.

All of those cities/towns are nice areas. Right now based on what I personally observe I'd say Chesterland, Chagrin Falls, and Aurora would be your best choices, with Chesterland/Chagrin likely seeing the highest snowfall, on average.

Solon/Beachwood/Twinsburg have bad traffic and bad cops, if that makes a difference. Crime has increased some in Twinsburg/Solon over the past few years but is nothing too bad, although it is something small to consider. Twinsburg actually has a "bad part of town" where the Cleveland public housing meets the Akron public housing, although again unless you live in or near that part of town your good.

And yes, very nice day today, more of the same over the next 10 days!

Chagrin is great. There are a lot of houses on the market at this point in time and the price of housing is relatively depressed. The village is about as crime free as you can get in 21st century America. The public system is also about as good as you an get in 21st century America. If you like snow and clouds, it is a great place too! ;)

One negative, the property taxes and regional income tax are high. Once you cross the border into Geauga both taxes decrease significantly, and you can live in a community like South Russell and still be in the Chagrin school district. Personally, I'm a bit biased against anything in Cuyahoga County as it seems like the "bad areas" expand and the county government is expensive and corrupt (still).

Solon sure does have a lot of business based there, but yikes, in the 4 years I've been in Northeast Ohio that city seems to be on the way down hill. I know a couple people there and they've noticed it changing too.

Chagrin is great. There are a lot of houses on the market at this point in time and the price of housing is relatively depressed. The village is about as crime free as you can get in 21st century America. The public system is also about as good as you an get in 21st century America. If you like snow and clouds, it is a great place too! ;)

One negative, the property taxes and regional income tax are high. Once you cross the border into Geauga both taxes decrease significantly, and you can live in a community like South Russell and still be in the Chagrin school district. Personally, I'm a bit biased against anything in Cuyahoga County as it seems like the "bad areas" expand and the county government is expensive and corrupt (still).

Solon sure does have a lot of business based there, but yikes, in the 4 years I've been in Northeast Ohio that city seems to be on the way down hill. I know a couple people there and they've noticed it changing too.

We used to live in Shaker Hts but the property and RITA taxes were ridiculous. We've been in Chagrin Falls in Geauga county since 2006 and love it. The Kenston school district is one of the best in the state and someone choking on a fish bone is what keeps the police busy in town. You have to find your own trash service (about $99/qtr) and many houses have well water but we like it here. Whenever I travel to the big cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, NY, I'm always glad to get back to the sane pace and tranquility of my humble abode 2 mi south of CF village.

Thanks alot for the great replies everyone ! Ya I would ideally like to be out of cuyh county because of the higher taxes. Shakers homes are very nice with a lot of character but wow at the taxes in the city. Solon seems to be almost as high. Definitely will be searching hard in chagrin and out towards geauga county !

Thanks alot for the great replies everyone ! Ya I would ideally like to be out of cuyh county because of the higher taxes. Shakers homes are very nice with a lot of character but wow at the taxes in the city. Solon seems to be almost as high. Definitely will be searching hard in chagrin and out towards geauga county !

I'll hopefully be moving to Geauga county this summer. I'm looking forward to having a larger yard, lower taxes and more snow of course.

Any of the towns in western geauga are great for snow. Chesterland would probably be the best for snow... Bainbridge, South Russell and Chagrin are good as well. I work in Chagrin... lived there for 4 years as well.

Nice light show with the line of storms that pushed through overnight. Reminded me a summer night. The rain was unwelcome. We could really use at least a week of sunny weather to dry the ground out.

It's probably time to turn the lights out on this "Winter" thread... but we'll mostly have a brief flizzard in April to discuss.

As usual , it has been nice chatting with everyone this winter... wish their were more storms to discuss but it is what it is.

With the warm temps this week, we'll be cutting grass before we know it. I think we had leaf-out two weeks early last year. If these warm temps continue it will no doubt be an early leaf-out again this year.

Nice light show with the line of storms that pushed through overnight. Reminded me a summer night. The rain was unwelcome. We could really use at least a week of sunny weather to dry the ground out.

It's probably time to turn the lights out on this "Winter" thread... but we'll mostly have a brief flizzard in April to discuss.

As usual , it has been nice chatting with everyone this winter... wish their were more storms to discuss but it is what it is.

With the warm temps this week, we'll be cutting grass before we know it.  I think we had leaf-out two weeks early last year. If these warm temps continue it will no doubt be an early leaf-out again this year.

Amazing that we were under a winter weather advisory just 8 days ago. The bursts of snow last Friday felt so out of place, we are blasting right into April/May weather this year. There are absolutely no signs of winter on the horizon, although I suppose you can't completely write off some rogue snow flurries for another month and a half up here.

The intermittent lake breezes will temper this torch here at the shore. Nonetheless we should snag the 60 degree mark each day. This will really make Lake Erie warm up extra quickly.

As a comparison, this is how it looked last year on March 11:

5518057841_a996d54814.jpg

In terms of Lake Erie surface temps, we are going to surge into spring. Even if there is a cold snap late month into April, it will no doubt be rain here and snow inland.

The intermittent lake breezes will temper this torch here at the shore. Nonetheless we should snag the 60 degree mark each day. This will really make Lake Erie warm up extra quickly.

As a comparison, this is how it looked last year on March 11:

In terms of Lake Erie surface temps, we are going to surge into spring. Even if there is a cold snap late month into April, it will no doubt be rain here and snow inland.

Wow. What a difference a year makes. I'm really hoping the pattern doesn't flip and April is cold. We waited for a flip all winter and it never happened so no reason to think it will happen now. The long range is extremely warm.

The city is going to be a zoo on St. Pat's day with the nice weather.

Another nice light show with the storms this morning just before sunrise. Noticed quite a few CG strikes. Rain was intense for only a short time thankfully. It's amazing how wet it has been over the last year. I wonder if some locations are closing in on 75"+ for the current 12 month period.

The stubborn stratus layer that has been slowly sinking southward from Lake Erie has made this a dreary day, thus far:

post-7331-0-22987500-1331911518.png

It looks to be about 2,500 ft thick. Hopefully it will clear up by mid afternoon. The WSR-88D winds from CLE are very light north so I wonder if it will stick around.

About 0.9" of rain here in Chagrin Falls the last 24 hours.

The stubborn stratus layer that has been slowly sinking southward from Lake Erie has made this a dreary day, thus far:

post-7331-0-22987500-1331911518.png

It looks to be about 2,500 ft thick. Hopefully it will clear up by mid afternoon. The WSR-88D winds from CLE are very light north so I wonder if it will stick around.

About 0.9" of rain here in Chagrin Falls the last 24 hours.

Even with the stratus deck, we are still sitting in the low to mid 60s with very high dew points at the noon hour, just amazing how truly summer like this pattern is!

Luckily the rivers over NW OH are slower responding than some of the north central and NE OH rivers and in most cases are going to remain below flood stage...but with much of the area picking up at least a half inch of rain between the rounds of storms yesterday with more slow moving storms possible on Sunday flooding will be something to watch for in the coming days/weeks as the ground won't really have any chances to dry out.

After Sunday the next appreciable chance for rain/storms will come in the latter half of next week as the much anticipated cut off low meanders northeast towards the Ohio Valley/Lower Lakes. The GFS/Euro handle the feature differently, which is to be expected this far out...but the 0z Euro actually showed the cut-off partially phasing with the polar branch and creating a transient trough over head around day 9, allowing for a brief period of average temps before warming back up after day 10.

The GFS last night did not phase the cut off with the polar branch of the jet stream but still showed temps cooling to near average around days 8-10 before warming back up in the long range. The GFS showed another cool down like 13 days out, but neither model is showing any signs of breaking down the massive AK Vortex/western Trough over the next two weeks, so even if we see a brief return to normal over the next two weeks, the second half of March in all likelihood will average well above normal, I'd say departures could easily exceed +10 if not more for the second half of the month.

The warmth never fails. Every thing burned off nicely and we can mark another 70 degree day down in the books. People will be comfortably swimming in Lake Erie by Memorial Day at this rate. Tomorrow's huge St. Patricks' day parade will probably have better weather than many 4th of July's and Labor Days. But I'd keep an eye out for a lake breeze that could ruin the fun, but we've been quite fortunate Lakeside that the breezes haven't been too extreme thus far.

When it does snow (you know we'll get an isolated inch or two sometime the end of this month/April) it will be a huge shock to the senses. Fun fact, CLE still averages another 10" or so from this point on in the season.

A rockstar lake breeze today with 54 at BKL and 79 at CGF.

At least I hit 76 before it slid through. It was an abrupt drop too. I instantly felt the cold breeze rush in through the windows.

I've seen it where it's been 38 near the lake and in the 70s a mile inland. But that generally happens when the lake still has ice chunks in it.

Most of Lake Erie's surface temps are already in the low to mid 40s. There will be widespread 50s by the time this spell is over. Incredible.

eswt-00.gif

Fog has finally burned off and temps are warming nicely. Feels and looks like early May. Lakeshore areas are probably cooler though with NE winds.

CLE picked up over an inch of rain yesterday. No stopping the persistent wet pattern. I counted 4 t'storms IMBY the past few days... not often that happens, especially in March.

Fog has finally burned off and temps are warming nicely. Feels and looks like early May. Lakeshore areas are probably cooler though with NE winds.

CLE picked up over an inch of rain yesterday. No stopping the persistent wet pattern. I counted 4 t'storms IMBY the past few days... not often that happens, especially in March.

Ya, this weather has been absolutely insane, no complaints though. I think from last Tuesday through yesterday I was awoken 3 times within a couple hours of sunrise by thunder/lightning, which is odd for March. Two of those days also featured afternoon thunderstorms. CLE had to issue an svr in the SW portion of their CWA, one of a number issued in the past week. I'll take a repeat of this in July, please!

It's been hit or miss at my house. The lake breeze generally doesn't get going until after lunch. So it'll get warm and then cool down. I was able to see the fog over the lake linger today over part of the runway at BKL. Downtown (at least a few blocks inland) wasn't too bad today, probably mid to upper 60s and then a quick ten degree drop as you hit the immediate shore. I could feel it get noticeable colder as I drove home. The NE winds sort of help downtown and push the cold lake air a little farther west.

So now I'm home and I just took this picture of the porch thermometer. At least it's a refreshing sunny 53!

post-599-0-03118700-1332192403.jpg

Incredible warmth out there. Cuyahoga county airport hit 84... that airport always runs warm so I'm skeptical of the temp. I'm sure CLE would be warmer if there was full sun today.

This torch is actually raises my grade of this "winter" from F to C-. Let's hope the warmth can hang on a few more weeks. Once we hit mid to late April there will be no looking back.

More lake breezes. I wish the NWS would put the lake breezes into their forecasts. I keep getting tricked into thinking that they won't form. But, as usual, we get a nice lunch hour and then the bottom falls out. Much better than yesterday though with 66 IMBY, but with 80s just a hair inland, I'm a bit jealous.

I still say CLE adds on another 0.7" of snow this season ... on Easter Sunday.

Archived