Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Thread

Trent

Here is the NWS map for totals from the event:

They do not have a write up on the event otherwise.

Tuesday April 3, 2007, a shortwave began to dig over the Upper Plains, resulting in a low pressure tracking through the central lakes...temperatures soared into the upper 70s to near 80 that day! Some broken ice was still floating over the eastern basin of Lake Erie going into the 3rd of April, but that was torched by a hot April day, which set the stage for what happened shortly thereafter...

By Wednesday the forth, cold air advection was occuring in earnest as the upper trough began to slow down and close off over the central Great Lakes. Deep moisture began to pivot back overhead by Wednesday evening, when the first accumulating snows began across northern Ohio.

Moderate lake effect snows continued Wednesday night through Friday, with most Snow Belt locales having several inches on the ground by Friday. Friday April 6, 2007 was the imfamous home-opener snow out for the Cleveland Indians. Based on what they went on to do that season, perhaps our home-opening weekend should be completely snowed out more often.

The climaxe of the event was likely Friday night through Sunday morning...as you can see above, shortwaves began pinwheeling around the upper low that was firmly anchored to our northeast on Friday. 850mb temperatures were consistently below -10C and at times dipped to -15C, which created extreme lake-induced instability.

With shortwaves to enhance lift and deep mid level moisture in place, lake effect snow parameters were outstanding. Winds came out of a W-WNW direction Friday-Sunday, and a convergence band developed initially over Lorain, northeastern Medina, inland Cuyahoga, northern Portage/Summit and southern Geagua County with snow showers occuring outside of this area. In Solon, I recieved about a foot of snow Friday night into the morning of Saturday the 7th. The convergence band persisted through Sunday and gradually shifted north towards the Cleveland-Mayfield-Chardon corridor, where many areas woke up to a foot of new snow on Easter Sunday.

Temperatures gradually warmed and ridging built in by Monday, when the final snow showers finally ended.

A long duration, classic lake effect snow event that occured out of season. The pattern certainly supported a deep, slow moving upper low over the region with a sharp ridge out west and short, spring-like wavelegnths, which is a classic lake effect setup, sans the time of year:

Here is a radar loop from 12am on April 7, 2007 through 11pm on April 7, 2007:

Nice write-up as usual. The snow was so heavy it was almost impossible to shovel. My total from that event was 29 inches.

That was the 2nd best LES event of my lifetime outside of November 1996. I was living with my family in Concord at the time. We had somewhere around 50"... just a few miles to the south in Chardon they had 69". Funny that our most extreme LES events don't happen in traditional winter months.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice write-up as usual. The snow was so heavy it was almost impossible to shovel. My total from that event was 29 inches.

That was the 2nd best LES event of my lifetime outside of November 1996. I was living with my family in Concord at the time. We had somewhere around 50"... just a few miles to the south in Chardon they had 69". Funny that our most extreme LES events don't happen in traditional winter months.

Thanks...definitely a top of the line event.

My guess is it helps that the lake is warmer in November and April but the atmosphere can still get almost winter cold. As we have seen in the past 6-7 springs, we aren't out of the woods until at least April 15th for legitimate snowfall.

Wow that's incredible stuff! Thanks OHweather! Unreal that it was almost 80 the day prior too! Last Dec was my first (and only so far) real big les storm and I thought that was pretty incredible. Here's to hoping we can get a setup similar to those years sometime soon!

No problem. Last December was impressive, especially for those of us who are inland a bit. Two decent storms in a week's time.

A repeat of April 05 or 07 would be fantastic...in April 05 much of the Snow Belt saw 6-20" in the first weekend of the month (with significant tree/powerline damage) and in about a 36 hour period from April 23-25, as a mentioned above, Cuyahoga County was ground zero for a crippling storm that again did considerable tree/powerline damage and dropped up to 2 feet of snow.

The April 07 storm is in the highest tier when it comes to northeast Ohio Lake Effect, in my opinion. Had the ratios with that storm been say, 15:1, something that would occur in a more wintry month than April, amounts would have probably pushed 50-60" in the bullseye area.

Unfortunately, I wasn't living at this particular spot at the time, but I believe that might have been one of the biggest snowfalls (or at least top 5) ever for this part of the county. The map shows a swath of 20-25" inches from the west shore through downtown Cleveland and then escalating to 30"+ in the higher elevations. My neighbor showed me pictures of our street and the homes from that Easter Sunday and it was just incredible. There really was over 2 feet here that had buried all the cars parked on the street. Truly an amazing site for April.

Unfortunately, I wasn't living at this particular spot at the time, but I believe that might have been one of the biggest snowfalls (or at least top 5) ever for this part of the county. The map shows a swath of 20-25" inches from the west shore through downtown Cleveland and then escalating to 30"+ in the higher elevations. My neighbor showed me pictures of our street and the homes from that Easter Sunday and it was just incredible. There really was over 2 feet here that had buried all the cars parked on the street. Truly an amazing site for April.

The April 2007 storm is probably close to one of my favorite storms that I have experienced. It is up there with April 23-25, 2005 (the only year you have to specify which April snowstorm you are refering too :lol: ) and March 2008. I can see another April 2007 event, it was early in the month, but I would be shocked if we see anything that compares to April 23-25, 2005 for a long time given the intensity of the event and out of season nature.

The April 2007 storm is probably close to one of my favorite storms that I have experienced. It is up there with April 23-25, 2005 (the only year you have to specify which April snowstorm you are refering too :lol: ) and March 2008. I can see another April 2007 event, it was early in the month, but I would be shocked if we see anything that compares to April 23-25, 2005 for a long time given the intensity of the event and out of season nature.

Speaking of April snows, there was an incredible 30" synoptic snow on April 20, 1901 that affected NE Ohio. Imagine something like that popping up in a year like this. Ultimate revenge.

I had always wanted to be caught in one of those intense fire house primary bands of snow that don't move, so I was quite glad the way Dec 8, 2010 played out. A surprise on all accounts and seeing it fall and how it effected an unprepared horde of people made it quite the memorable storm.

This will probably be the year where you CAN'T specify which snowstorm you are referring to, as there were none. I think my max synoptic snowfall was 2.5" in mid to late January. Other than that, it's been a wasteland.

Also, I rarely ever watch the local news, but did turn it on tonight. I see that Channel 19 is calling for 65 on Wednesday! Talk about a torch! I haven't done the math in a few days, but it might be enough to bump us into 3rd warmest winter.

It appears that this winter will go down as 35.0 degrees. This is 4th warmest at the airport.

1) 35.3 97/98

2) 35.3 01/02

3) 35.1 82/83

4) 35.0 11/12

5) 34.2 48/49

For snowfall we are at the lowest in 55 years, but an inch or two more and we'll beat 97/98. Granted in 2009/2010, winter had already ended at this point.

Records all across the board today! The surprising (not really) surge actually bumps up the average winter temp to 35.0 rounded. So the top 4 winters are all within a few tenths of each other and then 5th place falls much farther down the ladder.

You'd think because of a leap year that the records would be a bit easier to attain today, but the record yesterday was 67 with 4 times as many chances to achieve that and tomorrow is 69. So today's 68 degree temp falls in line with that climo. The record of 64 degrees on Friday also looks like it stands a chance to be toppled.

I posted a couple other photos in the general February thread, but here is a different one. I still can't believe this is February and there's not a hint of ice on Lake Erie. Another reason to say, What Winter?

post-599-0-93919300-1330567518.jpg

Awesome pics Trent!!

Cle is getting bold about Sunday... anyone have opinions on this setup?

WRAP AROUND MOISTURE WILL SPREAD BACK OVER THE AREA SAT AND

CONTINUE THROUGH SUN NIGHT. AIDED BY UPPER AND SURFACE

TROFINESS...EXPECT NUMEROUS SHRA TO START TO DEVELOP LATER SAT AND

CONTINUE THROUGH SUN. AS TEMPS COOL...THE PRECIP SHOULD CHANGE TO

ALL SNOW FOR SAT NIGHT AND SUN. EVEN THOUGH 850 MB TEMPS LOOK

MARGINAL FOR A GOOD LAKE EFFECT EVENT ALL THE SYNOPTIC MOISTURE WILL

HELP TO OFFSET THIS SO LOOKS LIKE SIGNIFICANT LAKE ENHANCED SHSN

WILL PROBABLY OCCUR...ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE LENGTHY PERIOD THAT

CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR THE SHSN INTO MON MORNING. ITS

POSSIBLE THAT SOME FAVORED LAKE EFFECT AREAS COULD SEE A FOOT OR

MORE OF TOTAL SNOWFALL FROM THIS EVENT

Awesome pics Trent!!

Cle is getting bold about Sunday... anyone have opinions on this setup?

WRAP AROUND MOISTURE WILL SPREAD BACK OVER THE AREA SAT AND

CONTINUE THROUGH SUN NIGHT. AIDED BY UPPER AND SURFACE

TROFINESS...EXPECT NUMEROUS SHRA TO START TO DEVELOP LATER SAT AND

CONTINUE THROUGH SUN. AS TEMPS COOL...THE PRECIP SHOULD CHANGE TO

ALL SNOW FOR SAT NIGHT AND SUN. EVEN THOUGH 850 MB TEMPS LOOK

MARGINAL FOR A GOOD LAKE EFFECT EVENT ALL THE SYNOPTIC MOISTURE WILL

HELP TO OFFSET THIS SO LOOKS LIKE SIGNIFICANT LAKE ENHANCED SHSN

WILL PROBABLY OCCUR...ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE LENGTHY PERIOD THAT

CONDITIONS WILL REMAIN FAVORABLE FOR THE SHSN INTO MON MORNING. ITS

POSSIBLE THAT SOME FAVORED LAKE EFFECT AREAS COULD SEE A FOOT OR

MORE OF TOTAL SNOWFALL FROM THIS EVENT

Overall parameters (a slackening W-NW flow, lake to 850mb temp differencial approaching 15C at times, and deep moisture) are similar to last weekend's event, although lake induced instability may be a bit stronger as we will have a couple 60+ degree days under our belts by that point and the airmass will be a touch cooler if current forecast temps hold. I'm thinking a moderate event, advisories likely, potentially more significant if some nice connections to upstream lakes develp or if a primary W-E or WNW-ESE band can develop.

I posted a couple other photos in the general February thread, but here is a different one. I still can't believe this is February and there's not a hint of ice on Lake Erie. Another reason to say, What Winter?

Great pic Trent.

Yeah, its not often the lake and shoreline are completely ice free in late Feb.

It is truly amazing that we cannot get one storm to track in a favorable direction to provide synoptic snow to the region.

The long range offers a hopefuly start to an early Spring. I have no interest in a sloppy few inches of LES this weekend. The ground is a warm muddy mess. Bring on a string of mild, sunny and dry days.

Wow, nice band of snow has sat overhead since about 9am, just passed the 2" mark in Reminderville with much of that falling between 9am and 1030am. We might continue to see snow for another hour or so before it appears things may slide south...nice convergence band!!

post-525-0-91752900-1330875443.gif

KCLE has reported heavy snow for two hours now, I'm guessing they've picked up at least an inch, but CLE's snow forecast, created just past 10am, is no where near accurate for snowfall from 7am-1pm...I swear they are oblivious, another situation where the heavy snow sets up over their heads and their snow forecast is underdone...look out the window!!

post-525-0-60323300-1330875578.png

Nice, looks like your getting some good snow. Need it to sag about 2-3 more miles south for me to get into it. Is it sticking to paved surfaces up there or just the grass?

Wow, nice band of snow has sat overhead since about 9am, just passed the 2" mark in Reminderville with much of that falling between 9am and 1030am. We might continue to see snow for another hour or so before it appears things may slide south...nice convergence band!!

post-525-0-91752900-1330875443.gif

KCLE has reported heavy snow for two hours now, I'm guessing they've picked up at least an inch, but CLE's snow forecast, created just past 10am, is no where near accurate for snowfall from 7am-1pm...I swear they are oblivious, another situation where the heavy snow sets up over their heads and their snow forecast is underdone...look out the window!!

post-525-0-60323300-1330875578.png

Nice, looks like your getting some good snow. Need it to sag about 2-3 more miles south for me to get into it. Is it sticking to paved surfaces up there or just the grass?

Tried uploading a pic on my phone, didn't quite work...

It stuck to the pavement under the heavy snow, yes. It just came to a triumphant end here, had a 5-10 minute blinding squall and now the sun is out! Just went out and actually measured and we have more than I eyeballed, 3.1"! Much of that falling in 2-3 hours and it stuck to everything.

Well the band that was hitting you finally rolled through here. Don't think we picked up quite 3 inches but about 2.5" seems about right. Went out and took a pic.

Tried uploading a pic on my phone, didn't quite work...

It stuck to the pavement under the heavy snow, yes. It just came to a triumphant end here, had a 5-10 minute blinding squall and now the sun is out! Just went out and actually measured and we have more than I eyeballed, 3.1"! Much of that falling in 2-3 hours and it stuck to everything.

post-7534-0-13920100-1330884636.jpg

HRRR for tonight:

post-595-0-42034600-1330888912.png

It will be interesting to see if that snow band from lake Michigan can make it into Columbus. Some of the models show it getting really close, they are also showing quite a bit of QPF out of it. I know it could happen because snow bands from the lake have brought 2-4 inch events this far south before.

This is quite possibly the worst time of the year and I would have to say that this weekend's weather is the worst you can get.

Yesterday was cloudy, low to mid 30s with a brutal 30-40mph gusty wind. Too cold to do anything worthwhile outside, no snow for any winter sports, just downright depressing mud brown landscape.

This morning there was a a coating of snow. Not enough to do anything, just a reminder that it's still winter. It melted by mid morning. Windy and raw, a little bit of sun but 34 degrees. Nothing at all enjoyable to do outside, but being cooped up inside at this time of year feels almost prison like.

I'm really looking forward to the sustained springlike weather. But we have to get through the lousy month of March first. We won't be able to stick a nail into this winter for a while yet. There'll always be the spring time coatings that pop up every so often.

This is quite possibly the worst time of the year and I would have to say that this weekend's weather is the worst you can get.

Yesterday was cloudy, low to mid 30s with a brutal 30-40mph gusty wind. Too cold to do anything worthwhile outside, no snow for any winter sports, just downright depressing mud brown landscape.

This morning there was a a coating of snow. Not enough to do anything, just a reminder that it's still winter. It melted by mid morning. Windy and raw, a little bit of sun but 34 degrees. Nothing at all enjoyable to do outside, but being cooped up inside at this time of year feels almost prison like.

I'm really looking forward to the sustained springlike weather. But we have to get through the lousy month of March first. We won't be able to stick a nail into this winter for a while yet. There'll always be the spring time coatings that pop up every so often.

2" here in BG... probably will get another inch or so with the next couple squalls. Yesterday was brutal, after 2PM today it was a pretty nice way to end winter, assuming model projections are pretty accurate for the next week or two.

What an odd convergence band yesterday evening into tonight. Looks like CLE picked up close to 4" (incredibly surprising, however half of that melted from the first round and the other half fell in the evening), not even an inch here. It appears the second round didn't make it too much farther east than the airport.

CLE might actually hit 40" this season now. Yesterday's snowfall actually just bumped me over 30" for the season and it surely doesn't feel like that much fell this winter.

What an odd convergence band yesterday evening into tonight. Looks like CLE picked up close to 4" (incredibly surprising, however half of that melted from the first round and the other half fell in the evening), not even an inch here. It appears the second round didn't make it too much farther east than the airport.

CLE might actually hit 40" this season now. Yesterday's snowfall actually just bumped me over 30" for the season and it surely doesn't feel like that much fell this winter.

Definitely an unusual set-up. I was looking at the radar last night and there was no snow over the traditional snowbelt, while the westside, and western ohio were getting hit.

I had no idea the west side had so much snow. I had a whopping .8

Definitely an unusual set-up. I was looking at the radar last night and there was no snow over the traditional snowbelt, while the westside, and western ohio were getting hit.

I had no idea the west side had so much snow. I had a whopping .8

Another wasted snowfall. The weekly roller coaster of 60s to snow is getting really old. We just can't seem to stick a fork in this winter yet.

Another wasted snowfall. The weekly roller coaster of 60s to snow is getting really old. We just can't seem to stick a fork in this winter yet.

Looking at the long range, we are just about done with this winter. Almost time for 40's by lakeshore and 60's inland.

Archived