• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 23-24 Upstate NY/North country winter storm..

wolfie09

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too long ago the Euro had this raging up the St. Lawrence Seaway sending me well into the 50's with possible t-storms. In any case, there were more 'flakes' roaming around the streets in downtown Schenectady than there were falling in my yard this morning. Went down to ALB and they managed a dusting.

Looks like the Euro scored a last-second coup. I doubt we got more than an inch here before it all melted.

A dusting here, but would just go in the books as a T. Still scattered around out there as we have not really warmed at all today. OVC, getting increasingly socked in with a bit of mist and 31.5F at 1:20 PM.

So gonna be some very cold rain showers when that WNY stuff gets here - maybe we can flip to some flakes before it ends.

Not too long ago the Euro had this raging up the St. Lawrence Seaway sending me well into the 50's with possible t-storms. In any case, there were more 'flakes' roaming around the streets in downtown Schenectady than there were falling in my yard this morning. Went down to ALB and they managed a dusting.

From the NWS report at 18z ...

NIAGARA FALLS LGT RAIN 35 34 96 SE8 29.22F FOG WCI 29

BUFFALO LGT RAIN 37 37 100 SE8 29.24F FOG WCI 31

DUNKIRK LGT RAIN 49 42 77 W13G23 29.27R

JAMESTOWN CLOUDY 43 39 87 SW10 29.28F

WELLSVILLE LGT RAIN 39 35 86 S17G25 29.29F WCI 30

ROCHESTER PTSUNNY 80 60 50 SW15G25 29.51R

PENN YAN CLOUDY 41 36 82 S15 29.31F

Now that's a warm sector !!

(I know it's wrong)

Would say watch out in Ottawa-Montreal region for 20-30 cms of snow and overnight heavy snow developing in upstate NY and VT as low begins to intensify, warm air advection process cuts off with coastal secondary near ACK. Can't see Albany getting more than an inch or two, but heavy squalls likely in SYR tomorrow.

Had a nice 2-3 hour period of mod/heavy snow here in Jay. About 3 new inches on the ground. Letting up a bit now, hoping for a couple more heavy bursts through tonight.

Fantastic hike in the high peaks yesterday. Hiked up Wright Peak (4,600) from the ADK Loj through 6-12 inches of fresh powder. First ones on the trail, so it was an arse kicker hike. Awesome conditions on the peak - moderate snow and winds gusting well over 50 mph. Will try to post a few pics later.

WOWowow

woke up this morning and saw the delay in snow, and took off for ottawa around 8am.

got in around 11am and the snow was just starting....very mild around 32F and saw the bust in toronto, thought this is going to be nothing

around an hour ago headed out to costco for a minute, saw a band organzinign on radar before i left.....just drove back....insane snow rates out there, must be 3-4+ inches /hr, don't think i've ever seen it snow this hard in ottawa except in march 93 and december 07 storms.

total and complete whiteout, just dumping..couldnt see more than 25 feet driving all the way back, felt like I was on I-81!

was not expecting this with the lack of cold air around....just shocked!

i have NEVER seen all my north facing windows here at my parents home snowed over completely....i cant see anything.

here is a downtown intersection

post-149-0-57331000-1330114133.jpg

ottawa int'l airport knocked offline lol

never seen that before

im guessing the heavy wet snow has coated the sensors??

:lmao: I saw that. Yeah, it looks like you guys are getting pounded. Honestly Toronto is really awful for snow and always has been regardless of what some of my friends say about it always snowing when we were kids. A heavy snowfall for Toronto is honestly 6", 8" max 90% of the time.

Interestingly, this is one of the most snowfree winters Toronto has seen in the past 90-100 years.

2nd wwa of the day

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING RAIN...MIXED WITH SOME SLEET OR WET

SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST THIS EVENING.

* LOCATIONS...THE EASTERN CATSKILLS...SCHOHARIE

VALLEY...HELDERBERGS...WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY...THE LAKE GEORGE

SARATOGA REGION...THE TACONICS...SOUTHERN VERMONT...AND THE

BERKSHIRES.

* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN...MIXED WITH SOME SLEET AND SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...ICE ACCRETION OF ONE TENTH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN

INCH ACROSS ELEVATIONS ABOVE 1000 FEET...AND UP TO ONE TENTH OF

AN INCH ELSEWHERE...ALONG WITH A COATING OF SNOW AND SLEET.

* TIMING...FREEZING RAIN...ALONG WITH SOME SLEET AND WET

SNOW...WILL PERSIST ACROSS THE ADVISORY AREA THROUGH THIS

EVENING. PRECIPITATION SHOULD CHANGE TO ALL RAIN DURING THE

EVENING HOURS AS WARMER AIR MOVES IN FROM THE WEST.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL DUE TO ICE ON UNTREATED...LESS

TRAVELED ROADWAYS.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S...RISING INTO THE MID AND UPPER

30S LATER THIS EVENING.

Sounds great! A mild, but reasonably snowy winter in Ottawa at least. That's about the latitude it took in this miserable winter. About 2.5 degrees in latitude more than was required in the La Nina winter of 07-08.

Rain here mixed with snow at times...intensity driven Id say. A slushy coating on the roads and grass so at times it must have been mainly wet snow. Just nuisance junk of course. 33F, but obviously the boundary layer is pretty roasted.

WOWowow

woke up this morning and saw the delay in snow, and took off for ottawa around 8am.

got in around 11am and the snow was just starting....very mild around 32F and saw the bust in toronto, thought this is going to be nothing

around an hour ago headed out to costco for a minute, saw a band organzinign on radar before i left.....just drove back....insane snow rates out there, must be 3-4+ inches /hr, don't think i've ever seen it snow this hard in ottawa except in march 93 and december 07 storms.

total and complete whiteout, just dumping..couldnt see more than 25 feet driving all the way back, felt like I was on I-81!

was not expecting this with the lack of cold air around....just shocked!

i have NEVER seen all my north facing windows here at my parents home snowed over completely....i cant see anything.

here is a downtown intersection

Same here...its lightened up so mostly on the -rn side. About 10 minutes before 4PM today I had...well, thunderslush is the best way to describe it. Thunder with a heavier burst of rn/sn which left a bit of slush on the deck/grass.

Sounds great! A mild, but reasonably snowy winter in Ottawa at least. That's about the latitude it took in this miserable winter. About 2.5 degrees in latitude more than was required in the La Nina winter of 07-08.

Rain here mixed with snow at times...intensity driven Id say. A slushy coating on the roads and grass so at times it must have been mainly wet snow. Just nuisance junk of course. 33F, but obviously the boundary layer is pretty roasted.

I was in Albany and missed the excitement. LOL You know how bad things are this winter when we are posting about slushy coatings on decks.

Really this thread is sounding like we were in Richmond, VA or something...kinda pitiful.

Same here...its lightened up so mostly on the -rn side. About 10 minutes before 4PM today I had...well, thunderslush is the best way to describe it. Thunder with a heavier burst of rn/sn which left a bit of slush on the deck/grass.

3rd wwa of the day lol WE had 1 for overnight, 1 for this afternoon and now 1 for tonight lol

..WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST

SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN MOHAWK VALLEY IN NEW YORK AND WESTERN

WINDHAM COUNTY IN VERMONT.

* HAZARD TYPES...MAINLY SNOW...PERHAPS MIXED WITH A LITTLE SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES.

* TIMING...MIXED PRECIPITATION CHANGING TO ALL SNOW BY AROUND MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* TEMPERATURES...FALLING INTO THE MID TO UPPER 20S OVERNIGHT.

I wouldn't hold my breath expecting much. And it's tough to get all worked up over a few inches of LES at this point - the late February sun will cause that fake stuff to vanish faster than you can blink an eye I'm afraid. LOL But hey if a few inches wants to fall here then I'll enjoy the ambiance for what it's worth.

3rd wwa of the day lol WE had 1 for overnight, 1 for this afternoon and now 1 for tonight lol

A great lake effect band wavered north over me for about 45 minutes and dropped at good 1.5" ...hard to tell with blowing. Near white out at the peak of it and dropped the temperature to 28.2F.

Now sagging south again sadly. Areas south/southwest of here look to get this consistently.

Looks like roughly 3" here today. I was gone most of the day and it was a surprise to see some somewhat real drifts on the ride home.

INSANE!!!! OL I agree, I've never seen it snow like this in Ottawa before. I just shoveled a solid wet 8 inches of compacted snow. I'd not be surprised if we got 12+ with this storm. Complete whiteout, heavy, heavy snow. I'm glad you were able to join the party OL.

i was happy to be a part of it, almost missed it!....and its snowing heavily again right now from the clipper, im headin back to VT tomorrow but a nice memory this evening to go out on :)

Archived