• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Eskimo Joe

The Dude: I said I sell them....I didn't soliciate sales

Tony: the policy you linked to shows a "stationary" requirement to which I would not fall under (I believe). Thereby a permit would not be required. But this is all newly address/enacted policy (and it is just that...policy...not law) and was not in effect at the time.

Now, to call you on your threat, (with a little humor from the movie "Speed"), if I show up at a Skywarn class with some DVDs, what would you do.....what would you do? And please...be as specific as you can. I might want to bring lots of cameras in tow for visual confirmation.

I do have to laugh at the "policy" as there are a number of cork boards throughout the county facilities that advertise all kinds of goods and services. Most are stuff from Math Tutors to used cars. In fact Tony, perhaps you should let Mr. Leggett know that right near the elevators of his own building (Executive Office Building) on T-1, there has been just such a violation of policy for as much as 20 years.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dude: I said I sell them....I didn't soliciate sales

Tony: the policy you linked to shows a "stationary" requirement to which I would not fall under (I believe). Thereby a permit would not be required. But this is all newly address/enacted policy (and it is just that...policy...not law) and was not in effect at the time.

Now, to call you on your threat, (with a little humor from the movie "Speed"), if I show up at a Skywarn class with some DVDs, what would you do.....what would you do? And please...be as specific as you can. I might want to bring lots of cameras in tow for visual confirmation.

I do have to laugh at the "policy" as there are a number of cork boards throughout the county facilities that advertise all kinds of goods and services. Most are stuff from Math Tutors to used cars. In fact Tony, perhaps you should let Mr. Leggett know that right near the elevators of his own building (Executive Office Building) on T-1, there has been just such a violation of policy for as much as 20 years.

I think the policy he cited just applies to libraries. It wouldn't apply to the Executive Office Building or other county buildings. As far as I can tell, the permitting requirements would, but they wouldn't be applicable if one simply stated that they sold something. They appear to require solicitation at a minimum.

Not sure if it was libraries or otherwise. I did not see anything that strictly related to "his" building (which actually I think is a lease...but the county may have bought it too, can't remember at the moment, I know the Quice Orchard OEM office was not originally intended to be there, but that It think that goes way back to C.Exec. Duncan).

I'm actually (right or wrong) hearing about what he plans to do should I show up. That sounds very exciting to me. I have no real need to go to a class anymore (anywhere) being that I've taken every course a few times...to the point of being able to teach them. I even at a time, see how there was a real opportunity to hold classes (with a lot more in depth training and comprehension covering most every level from basics to winter, to hurricane, etc.). Why I kinda laughed about when the libaries were brought up, cause that was EXACTLY where I had considered holding them...Rockville in fact. I was at a small business meeting there held by a Suntrust exec. and asked about the rent, soliticians, etc. He was the one who told me who to contact regarding meetings, vendors licenses, etc. I did a bunch of reading and research. This is why I called (with some reservations) bull**** on Tony. I understand that the Office of Emergency Management may be treated differently, and that building was not at the focus at that time for my inquiries. However, it was pretty clear to me at the time that there are no specific regulations for any facility aside from Police Stations, the detension center and the prision up in Clarksburg. Firehouses also may have a different set of circumstances because some are "volunteer" vs. the "professional" which is an entirely different issue all together. Point being, it is reflective of my original point in that Tony likes to take possession of things he truly isn't in charge of. This was my point about Skywarn classes in the past, and now also apparently about his role as property management figure.

See the point to here is that while Tony may have coordinated the space for the Skywarn class, the class was not his to run. It was the NWS out of LWX. Classes that I had previously attended in the past for many years (different classes and different levels) before Tony was even around. It may in fact be why a bit of the presentation materials are mine (I don't remember at this point, been 15 years). So if he wants to again try to take ownership of a training session that is not his to control, so be it.

And let's ask....why is it so upsetting to Tony anyways? I'm offering a product that FEMA not only paid for footage from, but also supported the sales of. This is a product that Fugate even watched and loved. Bill Read and Max Mayfield also have seen it and loved it. Of the various classes I brought it to, none have ever said I shouldn't bring it. Hell, brought them to the NWS LWX grand opening and gave some out there too. No one minded there! So really....what is the "real" issue that Tony has. Hmmmmmm. There was talk earlier about chasers earlier. I think he said he has nothing against them....makes ya wonder...doesn't it.

The Dude....sorry to feed of your comments for my further "drama" post. Just here going over my list as I get ready to go CHASING with Ian and Mark. So Tony...any upcoming Skywarn classes are "safe" for the next few weeks...but I still would love to hear your plan for when I stop by. Hell....maybe I'll bring a copy of all the chaser DVDs that I get while out in the Great Plains (northern plains it looks like).

All this other crap is getting ignored.

Thank you. I would appreciate it.

Here is the reply from Fairfax:

Hi Tony,

We offered up the space to NOAA a while back and they never got back to us. Im not opposed to it but they have never reached back to us to host.

Forwarded their reply to the SKYWARN coordinator at LWX. Lets see what happens.

• 2 months later...

Bumping for the round of fall talks. I put in for Carroll County to have the Winter Storms class and it appears as though we should get it. Should be October 4th from 6:30pm - 9:00pm.

Damn, I won't be able to make that one. Every Thursday in October I'll be at the hospital in the evenings for a class :(

Looks as if you have to take the Basic I class before any other classes, including Winter Storm:

http://www.erh.noaa....Description.htm

Also, found this:

Please note!

Spotter classes will resume in September. There will be 20-25 classes taught across the area between Sept-May. Check back in late summer when classes will start being listed for the upcoming class season.

http://www.erh.noaa....rn/classes.html

One of the southern offices was doing online courses... Seems the basic at least should be offered that way everywhere.

People might no grasp the material fully online. I'd think basic 1 should be offered only in person and the other optional ones as online. We don't want a bunch of quack spotters out there that report tornadoes left and right.

People might no grasp the material fully online. I'd think basic 1 should be offered only in person and the other optional ones as online. We don't want a bunch of quack spotters out there that report tornadoes left and right.

Yeah maybe but most of the items in the first course are pretty simple. I think a number of spotters might still be confused if they've never seen a tornado in person. And the odds of seeing one are very low to begin with.

Looks as if you have to take the Basic I class before any other classes, including Winter Storm:

http://www.erh.noaa....Description.htm

Also, found this:

Please note!

Spotter classes will resume in September. There will be 20-25 classes taught across the area between Sept-May. Check back in late summer when classes will start being listed for the upcoming class season.

http://www.erh.noaa....rn/classes.html

Just an FYI I spoke with Sterling and, while it is highly preferred to have the Basics 1 class already, it is not a requirement for the Winter Storms class. If an individual does not have Bacis 1, it is recommended they complete the course within a reasonable amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping for the round of fall talks. I put in for Carroll County to have the Winter Storms class and it appears as though we should get it. Should be October 4th from 6:30pm - 9:00pm.

Joe,

The registration link is up:

Class Date/

Time County Location For Registration,

Please Contact Winter Storms Oct. 4

6:30 PM Carroll Carroll County Office Building

Room 03

225 North Center Street

Westminster, MD 21158 Registration link

I just checked mapquest. It's an hour and a half from my area. I can only imagine how long it would be during rush hour.

I'll have to wait for one closer.

Yeah the hell with that, that is way to far after a day at work and then rush hour traffic, Im with you, wait till they have one closer

• 3 weeks later...

I see absolutely no reason that Basics I & II couldn't be an online course. Granted good video clips were used, and it was done right. I suspect some regional changes would have to be made, but the content and lessons are pretty universal. Reporting requirements and methods are the same throughout the country.

Let's face it, online is everything these days, from healthcare courses, to the law degrees courses. Frankly, online courses would eliminate a lot of miss information and also bring much better content and samples to be used.

Time to modernize. It certainly would help get people in this area the classes/training done and with minimal cost and commitment to the already strained NWS offices.

Archived