wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Feb 22nd-24th Severe Thread

andyhb

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South GA storm has high possibility of a tornado on the ground by the looks of velocity.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TALLAHASSEE FL

145 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHERN BERRIEN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...

NORTHEASTERN COLQUITT COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...

NORTH CENTRAL COOK COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...

SOUTHERN TIFT COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL GEORGIA...

* UNTIL 230 PM EST

* AT 141 PM EST...A DEVELOPING TORNADO HAS BEEN DETECTED BY THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEAR OMEGA...MOVING EAST AT 55 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

LENOX...ENIGMA AND ALAPAHA

Wind has really picked up here in the last 30 minutes or so, several gusts that have rattled the windows/doors, maybe close to 40. Big pines outback have a low pitched roar so that is usually my sign of sustained 25+, which is likely considering they are 80'+ up. Went to Walmart around 11, sunny, muggy, came out of the store at 1 and ovc with -RN. SPC mentio Ed they were unsure of the effect from high clouds over the central and eastern Carolina's, the current line seems content on training to the ene over here, while the actual front should not be in for a couple more hours. Would not be surprised, in fact expecting power outages from the wind here. Easily gusting to 35-40 ATM, with RN. Just saw a 4 engine jetliner pass overhead under the deck, crazy to watch, almost never see that here with traffic into RDU, which I guess it was headed to.

I'm at lunch (at work) here in Orangeburg, my son is freaking at home with his G'ma. Could someone please post a GR vel shot of the area as I'm getting reports that one has been spotted between Gaston and Swansea. TIA!

Sorry Buckeye, was on the phone with my folks at home getting them to a safe place as a possible tornado just moved through Saint Matthews.

post-2167-0-96782500-1330109745.png

TORNADO WARNING

SCC017-027-085-241900-

/O.NEW.KCAE.TO.W.0002.120224T1843Z-120224T1900Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

143 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN COLUMBIA HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

EASTERN CALHOUN COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA

SOUTHERN SUMTER COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA

NORTHERN CLARENDON COUNTY IN CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 200 PM EST

* AT 140 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO 21 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF SOUTH SUMTER...OR ABOUT 18 MILES NORTHEAST OF

BROOKDALE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 75 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO SOUTH

SUMTER AND MANNING

I'm at lunch (at work) here in Orangeburg, my son is freaking at home with his G'ma. Could someone please post a GR vel shot of the area as I'm getting reports that one has been spotted between Gaston and Swansea. TIA!

CfPzQ.jpg

Wind has really picked up here in the last 30 minutes or so, several gusts that have rattled the windows/doors, maybe close to 40. Big pines outback have a low pitched roar so that is usually my sign of sustained 25+, which is likely considering they are 80'+ up. Went to Walmart around 11, sunny, muggy, came out of the store at 1 and ovc with -RN. SPC mentio Ed they were unsure of the effect from high clouds over the central and eastern Carolina's, the current line seems content on training to the ene over here, while the actual front should not be in for a couple more hours. Would not be surprised, in fact expecting power outages from the wind here. Easily gusting to 35-40 ATM, with RN. Just saw a 4 engine jetliner pass overhead under the deck, crazy to watch, almost never see that here with traffic into RDU, which I guess it was headed to.

Did the aircraft look commercial or military? If commercial, it was either a 747 or A340. If military, C-17 or C-5.

Just watched a 60 ft hardwood go over in the treeline across the road, its getting the wind off a large field and I bet gust are peaking 40-50 and they are not quick hitters but long steady build ups. SPC does seem to think we are not going to be "saved" by the rain but these heavier showers seem to do well at getting the wind to the surface I imagine any bonafide squall line that gets going and heads this way is gonna be accompianed by widespread wind damage reports.

Thanks lj :wub: warned the inlaws already as this should pass very close to their home and it looks like I was right :(

Your welcome Buckeye, I was on the phone with my mom who is a school teacher in St Matthews and called me when the principle had everyone go in the hall. Thankfully nothing to report damage wise as of now.

Did the aircraft look commercial or military? If commercial, it was either a 747 or A340. If military, C-17 or C-5.

Almost positive it was a 747 going to RDU, around 5k'. Normally they are a cruising level when they pass over. Also saw a couple f-15's from Seymour Johnson earlier at about the same level. Nothing that big goes into PGV so I can only assume it was RDU.

Just watched a 60 ft hardwood go over in the treeline across the road, its getting the wind off a large field and I bet gust are peaking 40-50 and they are not quick hitters but long steady build ups. SPC does seem to think we are not going to be "saved" by the rain but these heavier showers seem to do well at getting the wind to the surface I imagine any bonafide squall line that gets going and heads this way is gonna be accompianed by widespread wind damage reports.

Last hour has reminded me of a weak tropical storm, sustained around 25 gusting to 40, just constant with no lull. Pines are holding up, nothing across the scanner for GUC yet, so all is well. Just looping RAH over the last 90 minutes, I do not see us getting out of this line for awhile, backbuilding some sw of FAY and seems content atm on training from there through here. Any chance we have for svr is likely to come from the stuff between CLT-HKY-GSP, and that may not be for awhile, like 5-6pm later. We'll see, convection firing sw of CLT looks great compared to this pre-frontal crap we have overhead and inbound for the next hour or two.

I hope this cloud cover will keep things less explosive here.

keep us posted :pimp:

Edit for obs: 64/61 sw 26 G37

Local news just showed this picture just south of columbia.

Wow, that's a spectacular shot for the central regions of S. Carolina. Legit picture? Only reason I'm asking is b/c during these events, you'll always have internet sites and even some news outlets posting a old picture from some other outbreak claiming it's current.

Just saw this tweet from Jim Cantore: "@JimCantore: from NWSchat via wjbf-ed.bloodsworth: We just had an 80-90 mph gust roll through west augusta with golf ball hail"

That report also appears on the KCAE LSR that WJBF in Augusta. Also in Aiken County, NWS Storm Survey has already confirmed a tornado there.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

214 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0107 PM TORNADO 5 N WAGENER 33.72N 81.35W

02/24/2012 AIKEN SC NWS STORM SURVEY

NWS STORM SURVEY HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN

NEAER THE LEXINGTON/AIKEN COUNTY LINE NEAR THE

INTERSECTION OF SAND DAM AND CLINE TAYLOR ROADS JUST

SOUTH OF THE LEXINGTON COUNTY LINE. THE TORNADO CONTINUED

MOVING EAST NORTH EAST INTO LEXINGTON COUNTY TO NEAR THE

INTERSECTION OF GREENS BRIDGE AND CHARLES TOWN ROADS.

Your welcome Buckeye, I was on the phone with my mom who is a school teacher in St Matthews and called me when the principle had everyone go in the hall. Thankfully nothing to report damage wise as of now.

Glad to hear there was no damage near the school :) I'm waiting on a text back from my Daughter's inlaw that is a fireman about any reports that he may have.

That report also appears on the KCAE LSR that WJBF in Augusta. Also in Aiken County, NWS Storm Survey has already confirmed a tornado there.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

214 PM EST FRI FEB 24 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0107 PM TORNADO 5 N WAGENER 33.72N 81.35W

02/24/2012 AIKEN SC NWS STORM SURVEY

NWS STORM SURVEY HAS CONFIRMED A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN

NEAER THE LEXINGTON/AIKEN COUNTY LINE NEAR THE

INTERSECTION OF SAND DAM AND CLINE TAYLOR ROADS JUST

SOUTH OF THE LEXINGTON COUNTY LINE. THE TORNADO CONTINUED

MOVING EAST NORTH EAST INTO LEXINGTON COUNTY TO NEAR THE

INTERSECTION OF GREENS BRIDGE AND CHARLES TOWN ROADS.

SF! :wub: Be safe down there :)

Here's the actual image:

5cmxx4.jpg

Wow, that's a spectacular shot for the central regions of S. Carolina. Legit picture? Only reason I'm asking is b/c during these events, you'll always have internet sites and even some news outlets posting a old picture from some other outbreak claiming it's current.

audioguy, you are right. Old pic from 5/12/04 outbreak in Kansas.

http://stormgasm.com/5-12-04/simon%20pics/tornado6.jpg

SF! :wub: Be safe down there :)

Will do, kind of already prepped for the potentials. temperatures yesterday were 83 here, and already about 82-83'ish again, filtered high cloud sun, windy. The atmosphere just has that right feel. The vertical development of low cumulus extremely tilted. I've been eyeballing this setup since Monday when SPC had the region in a Day 4 Outlook of 30% (slight) that far in advance, kind of unheard of around here.

Archived