gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
2/29 - 3/1

NEG NAO

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is still much colder and further south than the GFS and GGEM. This will most likely change a million times as we get closer.

Yes it will. But the overall pattern is still terrible for our area and anyone south of us.

I guess if a few things break well, areas like Harrford and Boston could sneak in a few moderate events. Decent chances north of there in N MA into Central/ N New England.

Yes it will. But the overall pattern is still terrible for our area and anyone south of us.

I guess if a few things break well, areas like Harrford and Boston could sneak in a few moderate events. Decent chances north of there in N MA into Central/ N New England.

Agree. I don't think the over amplified solutions will work out because of the progressive flow. I will still watch out for this storm. I know a lot of people don;t like this setup but there isn't really anything to talk about before or after this storm so this might be the last potential of the winter.

SWFEvents in March are usually not kind to NYC and south. Areas north of the Bronx, SWCT and northern NJ have a better chance, if the event were to turn out to be a swfe, like the euro is depicting.

Still though, that H5 low closing off in Indiana can change many, many times in the next few runs. If that goes further south and closes off closer and south of our area, we could also manage a little front end thump.

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised to see Boston sneak ahead of the rest of I-95 over the next couple weeks (not by much, but possibly bringing their total into the 10s for the winter).

It is still much colder and further south than the GFS and GGEM. This will most likely change a million times as we get closer.

You keep looking at the interpretation of where the models think the 850`s are -and say " its colder " .," its further south " not sure if 2 meter temps or surface temps are that cold . In a pattern like this even when a secondary forms east of the delmarva - theres no blocking and surface temps prob not that cold on the coastal plain . with a pos AO- and pos NAO .this system will be too proggressive to be meaningful .

It shows a miller B

f168.gif

looking at those maps we dont get a whole lot...I wish I could see the previous 6 and 12 hour panels but the low develops too far north plus look at the RH fields at h7 and h85...nada...no precip.

The idea of a front end dump isnt feasible it will be too warm prior to the storm.

looking at those maps we dont get a whole lot...I wish I could see the previous 6 and 12 hour panels but the low develops too far north plus look at the RH fields at h7 and h85...nada...no precip.

The idea of a front end dump isnt feasible it will be too warm prior to the storm.

I have the maps its rain from start to finish.....Idc if it's south and colder then gfs or ggem.....a few need to understand this has no potential and read Isotherms thread about the pattern.....metfan u will not see flake in ur backyard until next winter

For the first time in 9 runs, the euro ensemble mean lost the coastal.

Now looks similar to the operational. Primary into the lakes through hour 150 then transfer to the coast almost on top of NYC.

All rain for NYC and a decent thumping for parts of SNE.

For the first time in 9 runs, the euro ensemble mean lost the coastal.

Now looks similar to the operational. Primary into the lakes through hour 150 then transfer to the coast almost on top of NYC.

All rain for NYC and a decent thumping for parts of SNE.

Another reason why model consistency for an event in the D 7-10 range means virtually nothing. Euro ensembles have had the coastal idea for a few days now, but consistency doesn't equal accuracy, that's for sure. The pattern argues for this latest correction toward the stronger primary and later secondary transfer to the coast, probably at our latitude or north.

SWFEvents in March are usually not kind to NYC and south. Areas north of the Bronx, SWCT and northern NJ have a better chance, if the event were to turn out to be a swfe, like the euro is depicting.

Still though, that H5 low closing off in Indiana can change many, many times in the next few runs. If that goes further south and closes off closer and south of our area, we could also manage a little front end thump.

Even LI especially the north shore could get into the act too. NYC and southward tends to stay in the side with less snow. I think this will be the case in this coming even where New England and Upstate NY will get a good dumping while the Northern suburbs and even LI could get some light accumulations. NYC should be mainly rain with brief period of snow and sleet possible on the onset.

It was obvious from the get-go how horrible the overall pattern was for this storm for the East Coast, so it's not surprising in the least that it's becoming a big cutter. It could benefit New England if the low starts occluding, or if a stubborn high anchors in some cold air. Around here though, cold rain like today. You really need the blocking to be in place, or perfect timing/amplification. Neither are likely given the progressive nature of the flow, and downright awful pattern up north.

2/25/2012 00Z ECMWF is showing a Leap Day 2/29 and 3/1 MECS event for NYC, LI and New England for Warning criteria of SN/IP and ZR. Looks like a disruptive winter storm threat north of I-78. Confluence and high position are excellent. First warning event of the winter. Around next Saturday 3/3 it looks like a 40-45 degree 55 knot gust SouEaster rain event.

2/25/2012 00Z ECMWF is showing a MECS event for NYC, LI and New England for Warning criteria of SN/IP and ZR. Looks like a disruptive winter storm threat north of I-78. Confluence and high position are excellent. First warning event of the winter.

Around next Saturday it looks like a 40-45 degree 55 knot gust SouEaster rain event.

Call me nuts but the two assertions seem to conflict one with the other....

2/25/2012 00Z ECMWF is showing a Leap Day 2/29 and 3/1 MECS event for NYC, LI and New England for Warning criteria of SN/IP and ZR. Looks like a disruptive winter storm threat north of I-78. Confluence and high position are excellent. First warning event of the winter.

It shows nothing of the sort. Maybe a little slop snow right at the end on 3/1. That's it.

Archived