gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
2/29 - 3/1

NEG NAO

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just getting a look at things for the first time, but the Euro still looks good on tonights run. There is a nicely placed and timed high pressure north of New England and a weak surface low off the Mid-Atlantic coast at 108 hrs.

yeah, it nudged a little bit south of the 12z run.....I like the trends for you guys.

THIS IS WHAT UPTON SAYS IN THEIR MORNING UPDATE:

THERE IS THE INCREASING POTENTIAL FOR SOME

ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS NORTHERN INTERIOR ZONES FROM WEDNESDAY

THROUGH THURSDAY. IT DOES APPEAR THOUGH THAT LOW LEVEL THERMAL

PROFILES WOULD SUPPORT SOME MIXING IN OF SLEET AND POSSIBLY RAIN

INTO WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WHAT IS LESS CERTAIN IS THE POTENTIAL FOR

ACCUMULATING SNOW ACROSS SOUTHERN ZONES...AS THE BOUNDARY LAYER

AND POSSIBLY LOW LEVEL THERMAL PROFILES CURRENTLY FAVOR MAINLY RAIN

OR MAYBE A WINTRY MIX THERE.

I wouldn't get worked up the details, the models are showing, until about 48hrs. The setup still looks putrid for Northern Mid-Atlantic, particulary from NYC south. Most of the models, ensembles still showing a deep,stacked primary low over Great Lakes/Ohio Valley. Which will drive alot of warmth into at least the mid-levels. A 1032mb high over Central Queebec is not going to be enough to keeps this all south. Mostly likely, any accumulating snow stays north of NYC.

Its showing .89qpf for Danbury, CT which would supoprt a 6-9" snowfall shown on map. .92" for Hartford,CT 850s stay below freezing whole time and surface 29-33.

After looking at the thermal profile, I'd guess that about 0.6" in Danbury falls as accumulating snow, so the low end of the 6-9" range.

I wouldn't get worked up the details, the models are showing, until about 48hrs. The setup still looks putrid for Northern Mid-Atlantic, particulary from NYC south. Most of the models, ensembles still showing a deep,stacked primary low over Great Lakes/Ohio Valley. Which will drive alot of warmth into at least the mid-levels. A 1032mb high over Central Queebec is not going to be enough to keeps this all south. Mostly likely, any accumulating snow stays north of NYC.

True but like you said have to wait till we get closer to 48 hours a 50 mile shift south or a slightly stronger HP in Quebec makes the difference between a cold rain or accumulating snow in all of NYC Metro - especially since this is still trending but then again it could trend back north - have to leave all options on the table...........

While models continue to push south, including the latest NAM, we need it 50-100 miles further south for our area to have a shot at overunning snow bomb before the rain.

The 2nd part is all up to what the ULL does and we won't have a handle on that until at least inside of 60 hours, IMO.

I think he just became a met last year. He has a good track record. 12z Nam also went south. It gives NYC a little snow before it turns to rain with the 1st event. SNE gets hammered.

It gives NYC a mix of slush, as surface temps are warm. It gives CT a very good snowstorm.

Archived