Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
2/29 - 3/1

NEG NAO

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the 12z ggem has that second burst of precip that the euro had last night. From hours 120-132.

The overrunning looks like the euro last night. That second burst of precip looks like the euro as well, except it looks colder then last nights euro.

Not true.

I just don't know where these people get this stuff. Can we finally ever come to an understanding that there is NO COLD AIR indicated anywhere for the NYC Metro Region. It takes cold air to get snow or signficant wintry precip. NO COLD AIR=NO SNOW. Frankly, barring some really drastic and unusual kind of changes, this winter, which never really started, is OVER!

WX/PT

I just don't know where these people get this stuff. Can we finally ever come to an understanding that there is NO COLD AIR indicated anywhere for the NYC Metro Region. It takes cold air to get snow or signficant wintry precip. NO COLD AIR=NO SNOW. Frankly, barring some really drastic and unusual kind of changes, this winter, which never really started, is OVER!

WX/PT

Just had a snow squall with high winds 15 minutes ago - old man winter just reminding us he is still around

Looks like the 12z ggem has that second burst of precip that the euro had last night. From hours 120-132.

The overrunning looks like the euro last night. That second burst of precip looks like the euro as well, except it looks colder then last nights euro.

12Z GGEM is a smidge further south than the 0Z. However, that burst of precip you mention... is weaker on the new GGEM as compared to the old GGEM.

So you throw this statement in to protect yourself in case there is a future snow event up this way, but then make an anti-scientific and completely opinionated doctrinaire statement about the winter being "over"? Coming from a met, who should be better than this...

Let's wait for the next few runs of the Euro before making any definitive statements. Please.

Not at all true. I have seen snow squalls as far south as Virginia as late as mid-late April. In geographically favored locations locally, you can get these fifteen minute thrills into early May and then the next day it's 50, 60, or 70 degrees. That's NOT winter. It happens in October too. The fact of the matter is that there is no way right now for genuinely cold airmasses to even make their way into the CONUS no-less stick around in the necessary position (to our n and w without moving out) to produce snow or wintry precip. You and others in this forum keep denying that fact. It would take an enormous pattern change which a few runs of the Euro are not going to do. We've seen this before. You might get one ECMWF run here or there that teases, but that huge pattern change which is necessary is neither imminent or likely, period. The other option is for a storm to make its own cold air, but it's just not going to be quite cold enough. You may have seen a post of mine a day or so ago referring to the unusual weather events here in March of 1972. I said there were some similarities between this year and that year, and there are. But the difference is the extreme lack of cold air this year as opposed to then (when it was lacking, but not so much).

WX/PT

I don't think its necessarily wrong to follow the models, even though I think you guys are getting your hopes higher than you should.

However, when things which are blatantly false get thrown around ("The EC shows 4-8 on NYC and LI" or "Its still over a week out", both statements which have been tossed around in the last 12 hours), then we have some real issues.

Euro did come a smidge south. My friend gets the maps from the paid site and he told me it is snow. I did not see it so do not critisize me.

ok Snow - I changed the sub title description for this thread to a cold rain since the Euro has some frozen just to the north - question is how far south will this continue to trend ?

Also on another note - lets stop the bullying in here - no need for personal attacks against fellow posters just because you don't agree with their ideas about the weather pattern etc.

ok Snow - I changed the sub title description for this thread to a cold rain since the Euro has some frozen just to the north - question is how far south will this continue to trend ?

Also on another note - lets stop the bullying in here - no need for personal attacks against fellow posters just because you don't agree with their ideas about the weather pattern etc.

North of NYC is still the metro area.

Problem remains in the fact that the ECM has been showing snow fall occurring in the NYC region and KPHL region so much this winter and almost every time the ECM has showed these scenarios they have not come to fruition..

Those wunderground maps have given my area like 90 inches of snow this winter season and so far this winter season my area is sitting at 5.2 inches without including octobers...

That is not a good record...

Even today with the cold front having moved thru temps are only at seasonal levels which now (where i am ) is in the low 40s.Seasonable temps are no longer going to be able to cut a snowfall...

While the ECM has been showing a further south solution etc ..its ensemble means have always been showing a further north solution..

Teleconnections wise we are currently looking at a + Arctic Oscillation

A + North Atlantic Oscillation

And A PNA that is declining into the negative realms...

This essentially tells us that the teleconnections are lined up against a snowstorm from occurring with any cold enough air locked up over Canada and perhaps Northern New England could benefit with being nearer to the source of high pressure..

And A PNA that is declining into the negative realms...

Well a -PNA may actually help us out in this instance, like it did with January 21st, because it would deamplify the flow which would prevent any storm system from becoming too strong and tracking to our north, giving us rain.

That was the reason why we got snow and not rain from January 21st.

Well a -PNA may actually help us out in this instance, like it did with January 21st, because it would deamplify the flow which would prevent any storm system from becoming too strong and tracking to our north, giving us rain.

That was the reason why we got snow and not rain from January 21st.

Completely different teleconnections

Jan 21st time frame we had a negative AO

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

And we has a PNA on the upswing

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/pna.sprd2.gif

So the negative AO allowed the seasonal to below seasonal temps to occur and the PNA on the upswing was just enough for amplification....

Archived