joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/19 East Coast Winter Storm Threat

OKpowdah

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pattern out west screws everyone, there is no issue with the setup over the NATL or over SE Canada but we're going to need that disturbance the models show crashing into the West Coast to be slower or weaker or both.

Agreed that that's a problem, but we have seen solutions that contend with the kicker. There isn't much variation in the handling of the kicker between runs while there is TONS of variation in the interactions of the shortwaves east of the Rockies. Therefore, the variance in the forecast evolution is attributable to that s/w interaction.

Most years you'd feel good about the Euro showing this and no other models having the system that close to the coast but given its performance so far this winter its about as trustworthy right now as the KMA showing a storm at the same range. There are probably more than a few people though in this subforum, the NYC subforum, and the northern half of the Philly one who would much rather not see this storm happen at all than have the 00Z Euro's depiction of the storm come to fruition.

If that run were to ever verify, I would proclaim this winter the worst of my life, regardless of whether I live another 70 years.

Wouldn't matter because nothing would trump this.....1980, 2010 and 2002 had a shat show threesome and this is the offspring.....would make the 2010 beast of a man in the shed look like a smokeshow in the friendly confines of the Playboy Mansion.

Yeah GFS wants no part of anything for the East Coast.

The only difference really between the 00Z Euro and 06Z GFS is that the small piece of energy over NE/IA at 102 hours or so does not phase with the southern stream wave on the GFS because the GFS is extraordinarily slow ejecting the system out of TX it seems.

The only difference really between the 00Z Euro and 06Z GFS is that the small piece of energy over NE/IA at 102 hours or so does not phase with the southern stream wave on the GFS because the GFS is extraordinarily slow ejecting the system out of TX it seems.

And it's probably a little too fast with the nrn stream too. With all these cooks in the kitchen, models will have a tough time resolving stuff, 6 days out. It is kind of good having the euro op and ensembles on your side, but they have failed at fay 6 too. It's still a pretty good setup overall, so we'll see what guidance does today.

Like I said...I like seeing it, but the flow is complicated. It was funny to see the euro continue to get more gung ho, and the GFS back off..lol.

Classic model behavior for big east coast snowstorms... Euro starts south and crushes the mid.atl for many runs in a row..then suddenly starts creeping north with each run..We've seen it a 1000 times...GFS starts OTS..has it for a run or 2..back OTS and finally catches on 2-3 days in advance while th Euro continues to slowly trend north. This has a better chance of giving Ji rain than missing us

Archived