Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Valentine's day 2012 system

Cheeznado

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to keep in mind, correct me if I wrong, but haven't the models busted on Temps (on the low side) ALL WINTER LONG? It seems to me that EVERYTIME a blowtorch is shown, it never verifies (or is rare to materialize). I guess I saying we should not worry too much about Temps, but overall track/placement of the low.

One thing to keep in mind, correct me if I wrong, but haven't the models busted on Temps (on the low side) ALL WINTER LONG? It seems to me that EVERYTIME a blowtorch is shown, it never verifies (or is rare to materialize). I guess I saying we should not worry too much about Temps, but overall track/placement of the low.

looks like we're about to enter the most active part of Winter. The split flow remains to some degree, and the southerly storm tracks are at their southern most trajectory, both climo-wise and model shown, for the next couple of weeks. Nows definitely not the time to bail on a winter storm for someone.

I was thinking the same think. I wouldn't take the models as truth until at least 48 hours out. Usually if it shows a big system more than that far in advance, it weakens. And sometimes the opposite is true, and it actually gets bigger on the models a day or two out.

the last couple of years we got used to the trend being in "our" favor, ie colder and wetter usually. lately that has not been the case and most things are puttering out. i am with you on the models and getting to comfy in thinking we will see snow. even if its still showing up 48 hours out i am a little wary until its obs time (or close to it) to see the temps at or near freezing and drop and radar all lit up lol.

side note: i cant believe we have a thread to discuss a possible storm!! its about time :lol:

Another similar event occurred the very next year, Jan 17, 2008. It also had a very marginal temp setup. Charlotte reported surface winds out of the south for several hours leading up to precip start and during the first few hours of precip, before weak damming kicked in....snow for the first 4 hours, then freezing rain, then rain.

several of the marginal events the last few years have turned out well here (except for one in march a couple of years ago) - the snow started just before dawn (i think 2 started as a rain/snow mix) and turned moderate to heavy quickly. the temps dropped below freezing, and stayed there, for most of the storms. whats odd is that usually the snows here end as freezing rain, but we really havent had more than .25 or more since dec 05.

looks like we're about to enter the most active part of Winter. The split flow remains to some degree, and the southerly storm tracks are at their southern most trajectory, both climo-wise and model shown, for the next couple of weeks. Nows definitely not the time to bail on a winter storm for someone.

Robert,

Do you notice the CAD sigat 105 hrs? I looking for the HO supplying the cold filter down the east side of the APPS. Is this due to a MESO High? Or do you think the GFS may be overdoing it with evap cooling? Either way you slice it, someone in the SE will see snow AND we are in for a wild rode to end winter!

GFS holds serve...except for WNC (much less QPF on this run). Precip just goes "poof" after GA.

The QPF amount in this image is mostly snow across the far northern counties of GA. The cold air erodes rapidly but not until the "best" moisture has happened....at least for the far northern counties. This is so borderline any slight deviation and nothing but rain happens.

post-347-0-62202500-1328848288.gif

post-347-0-01810300-1328848400.gif

00z CMC looks nice. It pops a weak surface low over Pensacola at 108hrs. It’s a good bit colder than the 12z run. Precip is also moving in a little faster. The only downside is that there is less moisture for TN and KY. Northern AL,GA, and NW SC appear to do good.

Looks decent, but I'm not sure how anyone reads the black & white copy.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/135_100.gif

Agreed, it all disappears when it reaches NC. Any met or anyone else know why the models are doing this?

That's what happens when you have another wave coming right on its heels. The trailing wave is coming into California at hr96 as our storm wave is moving out of Oklahoma toward the TN Valley, and that causes our wave to dampen out (weaken). Ideally instead you'd like to have substantial ridging behind our storm wave, without the trailing wave following so closely behind...that would allow the initial wave to amplify and dig to the southeast. Same type thing happened in the Jan 9-10 snow last winter...precip amounts were less and less as you moved from Arkansas to the Carolina coast.

This will simply come down to how long the wave holds its amplitude as it moves east.

That's what happens when you have another wave coming right on its heels. The trailing wave is coming into California at hr96 as our storm wave is moving out of Oklahoma toward the TN Valley, and that causes our wave to dampen out (weaken). Ideally instead you'd like to have substantial ridging behind our storm wave, without the trailing wave following so closely behind...that would allow the initial wave to amplify and dig to the southeast. Same type thing happened in the Jan 9-10 snow last winter...precip amounts were less and less as you moved from Arkansas to the Carolina coast.

This will simply come down to how long the wave holds its amplitude as it moves east.

Ohh ok,Thanks for the explanation! So the low isn't going to get any stronger as it moves through?

Ohh ok,Thanks for the explanation! So the low isn't going to get any stronger as it moves through?

It could trend a little stronger over the next few days, but there's no way it's going to trend much stronger with that trailing wave coming into California. With a marginal temp environment, it's a balancing act...you get a mega wave and you end up with too much warm air advection. A modest wave can still generate a good slug of precip (via overrunning), but you don't want to see the wave dampening out (weakening).

It could trend a little stronger over the next few days, but there's no way it's going to trend much stronger with that trailing wave coming into California. With a marginal temp environment, it's a balancing act...you get a mega wave and you end up with too much warm air advection. A modest wave can still generate a good slug of precip (via overrunning), but you don't want to see the wave dampening out (weakening).

Oh ok. Hopefully someone will get snow from this. I wouldn't mind just a flurry.

0Z Euro = NC Piedmont snow fail. :(

Don't have the paid Euro maps, but it looks like it is on par with the rest of the model runs tonight. Looks good to me for at least N AR and TN.

0z Euro kinda looks like the CMC. Keeps the SN to TN, N GA, N AL, WNC

The 0z gfs is offering me .06 of precip Sat. Shoot, if it gets cold enough, I'll just see clouds :) At least it finds over a half inch on Tues. and much better later in the week, when it's nice and warm. I knew there would be more problems with the precip. than the cold. Feb. has been tripe for rain down here. T

Archived