Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 10/11 Arctic Front and Snowfall

michsnowfreak

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I can say for sure, the 00z NAM's solution sure as hell better not be the outcome.

The 00z NAM verbatum still gives 0.17" qpf to DTW and 0.21" to DET, among the best of any NAM run. Also gives 0.36" to PTK. Remember a few days ago qpf was looking in the 0.03-0.05" range. That said, the 00z NAM looks very funky and the NAM has had tons of run to run continuity problems, so Im guessing its an outlier til the other guidance all comes in. I think SE MI is good for a 1-3 inch snowfall.

The trend in the 00z model suite tonight is for a more slower and stronger/wetter system along the arctic frontal boundary. The 00z NAM and 00z RGEM is now showing snow into Saturday morning for the Toronto area. Should be interesting to track.

I have an important exam on Saturday morning so....for the first time in my life...I'm kinda rooting this finds a way to miss us. :lol:

Good luck on your exam. And I have a feeling this could be another surprise snow event, like Feb. 5th of last year.

Thanks. Based on the NAM/RGEM it could rival the 2-3" we got on Jan 30th for the biggest snowfall of the season. That'd usually be worthy of me staying up all night watching it but I gotta try and get a good night's sleep.

The 00z NAM verbatum still gives 0.17" qpf to DTW and 0.21" to DET, among the best of any NAM run. Also gives 0.36" to PTK. Remember a few days ago qpf was looking in the 0.03-0.05" range. That said, the 00z NAM looks very funky and the NAM has had tons of run to run continuity problems, so Im guessing its an outlier til the other guidance all comes in. I think SE MI is good for a 1-3 inch snowfall.

I don't think nam is an outlier since Euro looks very similar...

Latest model runs really bring good snowfall from Saginaw to Detroits northern burbs. Not gonna lie, I sure as heck hope DTX is right with the SE counties seeing the most snow. Taking the latest models verbatum, we would still be in for 2" south of Detroit, but those areas would probably see 4-6". Will be interesting to see 12z. Several days ago this was a dusting-to-inch event, so cant complain, but its really starting to get interesting.

Also the timing has REALLY been pushed back. Now looks like it wont snow here until the evening but will last through the overnight.

Surprised no WWA (not that its important) issued for Detroit northward. Models are in agreement for 2 to 4" event with Winds gusting up to 25 mph.

It goes back to the days of 'Travelers Advisories'. It was perfect for these 1-3" or 2-4" events. Travelers are the ones most affected by these nickel and dime events. Many people don't even shovel thier driveways after them.

:mapsnow: Well I must admit I am pleased... Just had a full moon and the weather seems to be getting colder and snowy, in my opion this will be the best two weeks of the season comming up. I am a firm believer on how the weather follows the moon cycles and this is another perfect example in my eyes.

Up early this am to presalt all my handicap parking areas and make sure all the equipment is ready. With the way things are looking 2" snow will be on the low end of the spectrum this event.

:mapsnow: Well I must admit I am pleased... Just had a full moon and the weather seems to be getting colder and snowy, in my opion this will be the best two weeks of the season comming up. I am a firm believer on how the weather follows the moon cycles and this is another perfect example in my eyes.

Up early this am to presalt all my handicap parking areas and make sure all the equipment is ready. With the way things are looking 2" snow will be on the low end of the spectrum this event.

Welcome to the board my fellow Ontarian.

By this season's standards, it would still be a heartbreaker if the Northenr Suburbs and Flint/Port Huron saw 3-6" while we're looking at just another 1-3" (especially when the placement of the heaviest QPF and all was completely different yesterday before the 00z runs).

EDIT: And oh the agony if a WWA eventually ends up being issued for the aforementioned areas.

By this season's standards, it would still be a heartbreaker if the Northenr Suburbs and Flint/Port Huron saw 3-6" while we're looking at just another 1-3" (especially when the placement of the heaviest QPF and all was completely different yesterday before the 00z runs).

EDIT: And oh the agony if a WWA eventually ends up being issued for the aforementioned areas.

It would be aggravating, yes, but 2 days ago this was looking like a dusting to inch event, and we will very likely end up with more than that, so its all perspective. WWA would be nice but it doesnt bother me, its not like it makes an event more special, its just what the local forecaster deems necessary. Cincinatti had a WWA issued 36 hours in advance for 1-2", and Philly had one the other day for "up to 1 inch" (they ended up with 0.3", not even on pavement). Conversely our Jan 20/21 snow certainly was a travel nightmare, should have been a WWA imo but the forecaster did not deem it necessary. LOL by those standards set by some offices just to our south, wed be looking at our 6th or 7th WWA tonight, and probably our 12th or 13th if we lived in Philly :lol:

I will add though that it does look like this event had all models puzzled. The Euro was the outlier who first grabbed onto the widespread 0.10"+ qpf about 3 days ago, and the others caught up, but its really looking like Detroits northern burbs to Saginaw will be getting hit good, no model really saw that coming (perhaps shades of Feb 5, 2011?). I mean DTW alone saw our qpf triple from 2-3 days ago, but places like PTK/FNT were originally forecast a few hundredths of qpf now look to be getting possibly over 0.30"!!!!!!

Archived