• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 10/11 Arctic Front and Snowfall

michsnowfreak

It would be aggravating, yes, but 2 days ago this was looking like a dusting to inch event, and we will very likely end up with more than that, so its all perspective. WWA would be nice but it doesnt bother me, its not like it makes an event more special, its just what the local forecaster deems necessary. Cincinatti had a WWA issued 36 hours in advance for 1-2", and Philly had one the other day for "up to 1 inch" (they ended up with 0.3", not even on pavement). Conversely our Jan 20/21 snow certainly was a travel nightmare, should have been a WWA imo but the forecaster did not deem it necessary. LOL by those standards set by some offices just to our south, wed be looking at our 6th or 7th WWA tonight, and probably our 12th or 13th if we lived in Philly :lol:

I guess it is all in perspective.

I mean by the standards down south in this winter, 1-3" is a significant event.

Up here on the other hand, that type of snowfall doesn't generate much more than a yawn for most, even in a not-so-impressive winter.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the returns just seemed to explode over the past hour - very interesting indeed. Was not expecting this at all. Anyone offer any insight as to reasoning behind the sudden burst to these returns?

My location is approximate to the red dot - pretty much under that line of heavier returns at the moment. That line is moving due south.

post-726-0-12062100-1328885225.png

the returns just seemed to explode over the past hour - very interesting indeed. Was not expecting this at all. Anyone offer any insight as to reasoning behind the sudden burst to these returns?

looks like some rather impressive frontogenisis associated with the front, as well as some nice convergence.

EDIT: awesome radar grab, you can actually see the front nicely, the HRRR picks up on that feature and drives it south.

looks like some rather impressive frontogenisis associated with the front, as well as some nice convergence.

EDIT: awesome radar grab, you can actually see the front nicely, the HRRR picks up on that feature and drives it south.

Agreed! our proxy servers here at work play havoc with downloading the previous frames so I don't have a loop - if I build up enough loops in the next hour or so, I will try and posting the loop, but yeah, it's pretty cool to watch.

Who's surprised that the break in intensity is around Milwaukee, and the band to the north seems to be fading in intensity? Not me, I guess we're still going to be getting a dusting to a half inch. MKX is a :weenie: .

looks to me like MKX nailed it...no headlines, accums up to an inch at most. Hardly a weenie call.

Wow at the Fon du Lac report though! 3", with thunder/lightning and whiteout conditions. Maybe the radar is deceiving. It doesn't look that much heavier up there than here.

We are experiencing near white-out conditions at times. I would say visibility is less than 1/4 mile at this point (I can't see the the other end of our campus). Winds are gusting and appear to be maintaining at least 20-30 mph (Large flag is fully extended at all times). Still SN+ at the moment and I would say we have to be close to 2" now.

I would say MKX did a good job.- If anything, they probably could have put up an advisory for the SE counties for wind and blowing snow alone.

EDIT: Check that, not SN+ - I would say we are at just a moderate snow at the moment

Archived