• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Feb 11/12 Storm Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

No it sort of squashed it se. That one doesn't look hot. The weekend storm almost looks SWFE on the euro op, but without the arctic air. Behind that is another low that rots east of NC, but there is a signal in the Friday-Sunday tiemframe of something.

I have a feeling we see that come back north and a bit stronger in future runs..There should be enough of a push of sw flow to bump that north and i's also overrunning a pretty cold dome..Won't surprise me in the least for us to grab a light event out of the early week one

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it sort of squashed it se. That one doesn't look hot. The weekend storm almost looks SWFE on the euro op, but without the arctic air. Behind that is another low that rots east of NC, but there is a signal in the Friday-Sunday tiemframe of something.

We can't even get a postive bust out of all this model discontinuity - to the point where it's creepy. jesus

This winter has clearly gotten to you. Where's the positive Tip we're used to? At least save the negative posts until after SE MA and E MA enjoy their snows tomorrow. Please don't taint that.

I;m sure I'm not the only one that's noticed this..but Tip seems to go against concensus...If everyone else has abandoned ship and given up on snow and the pattern..he tries to find ways to make it snow and make things look good..and the trends will be positive..but when everyone else is on board for a positive pattern and snow chances(like we have the next 7-10 days or so) he tends to look for negative things that can happen and frowns on snow/storm chances. Just an observation..and again other people have certainly noticed this

This winter has clearly gotten to you. Where's the positive Tip we're used to? At least save the negative posts until after SE MA and E MA enjoy their snows tomorrow. Please don't taint that.

Haha , nah, I'm good. Just calling it the way it is. Assure you - nothing has "gotten" to anyone. well, I don't speak for everyone.

Anyway, what I said is very reasonably true, the outcome of no event has persisted. It just is what it is.

Someone brought up the RUC, no idea how it'll perform this time we have almost no storms on which to base this year....

But at 18z the WV, RUC and 6h forecasts from the NAM/GFS didn't seem bad. RUC/WV are a little slower with the two main features up north than the GFS, pretty much dead on with the NAM as it turns out. Across the Carolinas, that first pulse doesn't seem to have been handled all that well, be interested to see how that influences things on this next suite where they hopefully get a better adjusted handle.

This is going to be a pretty nasty vortmax that is already starting to wrap up..you can see the drying beginnng to occur. In 12 or 18 hours as it's coming off the Carolina coast it's going to be a nasty spin as it starts to get drawn north. I have a hard time believing that we won't see some pretty explosive deepending earlier than modeled.

I guess it will come down to how much interference the outside s/ws play...the ones shooting out under the main SW that will run the Gulf Coast tonight..those get out and around and are starting to initiate convection already. Hoping they don't draw to much of the moisture out...could be a very explosive development later tonight and Saturday with this system.

Just seems improbable that we don't see some very strong pressure falls with this not long after Hatteras.

I have a feeling we see that come back north and a bit stronger in future runs..There should be enough of a push of sw flow to bump that north and i's also overrunning a pretty cold dome..Won't surprise me in the least for us to grab a light event out of the early week one

It could, just looks a little disorganized right now. In some shape or form, someone might get some -SN...probably moreso for the interior.

I;m sure I'm not the only one that's noticed this..but Tip seems to go against concensus...If everyone else has abandoned ship and given up on snow and the pattern..he tries to find ways to make it snow and make things look good..and the trends will be positive..but when everyone else is on board for a positive pattern and snow chances(like we have the next 7-10 days or so) he tends to look for negative things that can happen and frowns on snow/storm chances. Just an observation..and again other people have certainly noticed this

Muah hahahhahahahaha :devilsmiley:

Honestly, the consensus on here leaves something to be desired for me at times. The collective synoptic interpretation/understanding ... at times drives me to distraction.

It almost more than seems that a collective understanding around here is more of a spontaneous emergent property - like "crowd physics" phenomenon where fads rise and fall and sweep like waves through a room. More so than veractious dictation over what is happening in the (verifications + modeling)/2 It's almost comical to me. I merely choose not to surf those waves.

Muah hahahhahahahaha :devilsmiley:

Honestly, the consensus on here leaves something to be desired for me at times. The collective synoptic interpretation/understanding ... at times drives me to distraction.

It almost more than seems that a collective understanding around here is more of a spontaneous emergent property - like "crowd physics" phenomenon where fads rise and fall and sweep like waves through a room. More so than veractious dictation over what is happening in the (verifications + modeling)/2 It's almost comical to me. I merely choose not to surf those waves.

i don't know...i feel like we've handled the pattern pretty well this winter. but that's just my opinion on the matter.

we certainly aren't elbows deep in snowfall despite any global factors that may have suggested we should've been (though i'm not sure there are any)

Pieces of the puzzle coming together

Yeah ...you look at that... and you look at the bands of light to moderate snow in PA ...southern lower Michigan and so forth, and see it all looped and how it is pivoting around a cyclonie axis that centered roughly on Ohio, and you wonder just how in the hell is the atmosphere going to pull off a near miss with all that now-cast observances out of that.

Fascinating!

With clouds streaming in now..it'll have trouble dropping tonight..I'd guess many of the urban and coastal areas stay in the mid-30s tonight until the precip starts anyway

I think all areas will not drop easily. Many could probably start as a mix as they wetbulb there will to coolness. This is going to be one of those evenings, where it has the strange and spring like smell to it, I think. If you know what I mean. A smell that I do not like in Feb.

Yeah ...you look at that... and you look at the bands of light to moderate snow in PA ...southern lower Michigan and so forth, and see it all looped and how it is pivoting around a cyclonie axis that centered roughly on Ohio, and you wonder just how in the hell is the atmosphere going to pull off a near miss with all that now-cast observances out of that.

Fascinating!

Just another kick into our collective groinI have wondered for a little while how enegry is transferred from one parcel of the atmosphere to the other like that. Just a natural relay race and the snow is our baton.

I think all areas will not drop easily. Many could probably start as a mix as they wetbulb there will to coolness. This is going to be one of those evenings, where it has the strange and spring like smell to it, I think. If you know what I mean. A smell that I do not like in Feb.

yep that weird kind of earthy warm smell. i know exactly what you mean.

That's a common odor when theta-e air is returning after a dry spell, too. Spring is common for that aroma.

Currently the DPs are well down across the area and the advection terms arealmost nill, so it will be interesting to see if that smell does materialize. I have sniffed that out on the 3rd evening of a May cool snap, where the moisture is increasing off over evapo-tran processing/soil moisture, too.

Archived