• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
It's Never Too Early: Winter 2012-'13

40/70 Benchmark

Even if El Niño winters are warm (+NAO, +AO, etc.), I rarely find them boring compared to warm La Niña winters due to the active subtropical jet in Niño years. If we have an active STJ, the chances for EC cyclogenesis are generally enhanced, thereby increasing are odds of getting something, even if it's some weird hybrid storm like 12/24/94. Even if the pattern is warm and stormy, we can still find a way to get some big synoptic snows, especially in the interior. The general lack of storminess this winter is driving me crazy, more than the warmth is. Warm and wet winters are definitely better IMO than warm and dry winters.

Even if El Niño winters are warm (+NAO, +AO, etc.), I rarely find them boring compared to warm La Niña winters due to the active subtropical jet in Niño years. If we have an active STJ, the chances for EC cyclogenesis are generally enhanced, thereby increasing are odds of getting something, even if it's some weird hybrid storm like 12/24/94. Even if the pattern is warm and stormy, we can still find a way to get some big synoptic snows, especially in the interior. The general lack of storminess this winter is driving me crazy, more than the warmth is. Warm and wet winters are definitely better IMO than warm and dry winters.

We've certainly had our awful Ninos too that were boring...'91-'92 is one...'94-'95 outside of the 12/23 hybrid and 2/4 storm was like watching paint dry. But I'd probably agree that bad Ninas are even worse...'88-'89 was horrendous for good action...same with some of those mid 80s bad La Ninas. '98-'99 was pretty terrible until the end of February and March when we finally got active.

1997-1998 was a torching El Nino, but I have to say that it was rarely boring...there was always something that seemed like a threat.

We've certainly had our awful Ninos too that were boring...'91-'92 is one...'94-'95 outside of the 12/23 hybrid and 2/4 storm was like watching paint dry. But I'd probably agree that bad Ninas are even worse...'88-'89 was horrendous for good action...same with some of those mid 80s bad La Ninas. '98-'99 was pretty terrible until the end of February and March when we finally got active.

1997-1998 was a torching El Nino, but I have to say that it was rarely boring...there was always something that seemed like a threat.

I was talking very generally. This goes to show that there are many other factors to consider besides ENSO such as AO/NAO, EPO, MJO, etc. These factors often have a bigger overall impact on our weather than ENSO. Which one plays the biggest role in our weather show is a matter of debate and probably changes from year to year depending on the relative strength and positioning of each. This is why we have some Niño winters that are good ('77-'78, '02-'03, and '09-'10 if we had some better luck) and some that are bad ('91-'92, '94-95', etc.). On the contrary, we have some Niña winters that are good ('95-'96, '00-'01, '10-'11, etc.) and some that are bad ('88-'89, '99-'00, and of course '11-'12). It's all in the teleconnections...

I was talking very generally. This goes to show that there are many other factors to consider besides ENSO such as AO/NAO, EPO, MJO, etc. These factors often have a bigger overall impact on our weather than ENSO. Which one plays the biggest role in our weather show is a matter of debate and probably changes from year to year depending on the relative strength and positioning of each. This is why we have some Niño winters that are good ('77-'78, '02-'03, and '09-'10 if we had some better luck) and some that are bad ('91-'92, '94-95', etc.). On the contrary, we have some Niña winters that are good ('95-'96, '00-'01, '10-'11, etc.) and some that are bad ('88-'89, '99-'00, and of course '11-'12). It's all in the teleconnections...

I made a post a couple years back that basically showed no splits for Nina vs Nino in terms of snowfall at the major SNE stations...further south., the splits start favoring El Nino...and heavily toward El Nino down in DC/BWI area.

I remember severe storms over Boston a few evenings prior to NYD in 1997...agree that it was far from boring. Ninos typically are more fun but I think this years biggest problem was the fact second year Ninas tend to be bad.

Archived