gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I am new to the board and sure I will crash and burn plenty of times down the road , My contention was always that this would come under the confluence and we are seeing the " NEW EURO " and its problems in the medium range , and thats why I find it even harder to believe to the end to winter calls . While I am no fan of the GFS it ate the Euro`s lunch on this storm and as of this morning was night and day in the long term .Dont know if it snows this weekend over the northeast but the Euro drove the LP thru Green Bay for 2 days in a row .

take no model literary

Euro is not there but its definetely better then earlier.

It moved towards the ggem, ukie and jma camp though.

I'm not a big fan of the Euro at this range in situations where there is wild model volitility, that said the GFS is a relatively good model inside 84 hours, we need to see either itself or the NAM jump onto this at 18 or 00Z or the 12Z runs for those other models may have just been a blip.

I'm not a big fan of the Euro at this range in situations where there is wild model volitility, that said the GFS is a relatively good model inside 84 hours, we need to see either itself or the NAM jump onto this at 18 or 00Z or the 12Z runs for those other models may have just been a blip.

a coincidence they are all a blip at the same time ???? something is happening here - new data in the mix ? there have been a few storms in the past where it looked like they were going to miss us to the south - east or whereever 4 - 5 days out then all of a sudden the models start phasing and tracking closer to us within 72 hours - not saying that is the case here yet though

Maybe the Energy in Canada is being modeled better since it is closer.

The thing Im noticing is that the "cutoff low" is not as pronounced at h5 today. Models are not keeping the 500 low closed off for a long time, which allows the surface low to jump north enough to phase with the northern vort.

Maybe the Energy in Canada is being modeled better since it is closer.

The Boxing Day storm is one of a few where the northern stream energy from Canada was a possible culprit for the busted model solutions, even when the other 2 disturbances had already been ashore into the US for a good 24-48 hours. If this thing is starting to converge the other way we could probably again point towards the NW Canada data sparse region again.

The thing Im noticing is that the "cutoff low" is not as pronounced at h5 today. Models are not keeping the 500 low closed off for a long time, which allows the surface low to jump north enough to phase with the northern vort.

Good point. Definitely opens up and ejects out faster.

The Boxing Day storm is one of a few where the northern stream energy from Canada was a possible culprit for the busted model solutions, even when the other 2 disturbances had already been ashore into the US for a good 24-48 hours. If this thing is starting to converge the other way we could probably again point towards the NW Canada data sparse region again.

Will never forget it. That piece of energy came in 100 miles farther west than modeled 48 hrs earlier and moved due SOUTH out of Central Canada.

For more weenie fuel, much like the snow event 10 days ago when we had a snow event as the #1 analog on CIPS we have another this time, the 60 hour OH Valley sector top analog is 3/19/92.

http://www.meteo.psu...1992/us0319.php

The #2 one is 3/21/06...you can see how we narrowly missed that one and the setup appears more similar for this event, notice the phase missing by a nose.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2006/us0321.php

Archived