Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is the ridge out west is too progressive and without a -NAO it will be very hard to get any sort of ideal timing to a storm that forms along the East Coast. The Pattern at 500mb out west and in the East Pac actually looks somewhat similar to 12/25/10.

Looking at the maps I can see this. If we had the -NAO and blocking it could have been a Superbowl weekend NESIS 4 KU HECS. We'll have to settle for a 5-7 inch event at best without the blocking and -NAO. If we had DS Blocking could have been much better next weekend. The -EPO and +PNA are perfect looking at least. Is there a chance of a Jan 2011 style NESIS 1-2 KU event with the favorable Pacific?

First storm is tough because the antecedent airmass really stinks, for the lack of a better word. What would otherwise be a terrific set up aloft turns mediocre in the mid and low level because of the stagnant airmass and surface flow prior to the storm. And with no blocking, the surface low can initially cut pretty far west. We are relying on an area of confluence to the north to stop that from happening.

I think we can still get something out of it...but my guess right now is that storm has the potential to be a monster for Central and Northern New England. This could be their first really big storm of the season. I like the period directly after that for more significant winter weather impacts in our area. But you never know. Still plenty of time...you can't rule anything out yet.

12z GFS is ready to show another major storm at 138 hours. It looks colder initially but the PNA is amplifying rapidly and you can see a beast of a shortwave diving southeast into the CONUS at that hour..into a mean trough over the East. There's some good stuff going on here.

Lack of blocking and a crappy airmass to start will probably hurt us in the end..but it should be interesting to see how this plays out..especially aloft with many shortwaves involved.

Looks like the first wave is kicking the baroclinic zone east...we need to ditch the messy H5 look as we approach the event. What a monster over the Central US at 168.

with the strength of that H5 and the 1040 high over canada blocking up the entire flow, the baroclynic zone will be less of a worry.

PNA ridge does its magic a la February 2006

It's pushing too far east for my liking at 174. It doesn't allow the height field to back along the coast when the shortwave amplifies over the Central US. We can't have this happen without blocking OR a well positioned PNA ridge.

Not the biggest deal anyway...174 hours away.

It's pushing too far east for my liking at 174. It doesn't allow the height field to back along the coast when the shortwave amplifies over the Central US. We can't have this happen without blocking OR a well positioned PNA ridge.

Not the biggest deal anyway...174 hours away.

You are right, but like we all know, it would change a million times.

Looking at the maps I can see this. If we had the -NAO and blocking it could have been a Superbowl weekend NESIS 4 KU HECS. We'll have to settle for a 5-7 inch event at best without the blocking and -NAO. If we had DS Blocking could have been much better next weekend. The -EPO and +PNA are perfect looking at least. Is there a chance of a Jan 2011 style NESIS 1-2 KU event with the favorable Pacific?

Whoa, whoa, take it easy.

NESIS 4 events are a rare, rare breed. We didn't even have one in 2009-2010 and 2010-2011.

Archived