Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS and EURO are vastly different. I will start with the GFS. The GFS has the ridge axis much further east then the EURO. There is a very deep trough with a lot of energy diving down on the backside. The GFS has a weak wave pass over the area, the same wave the EURO keys on. The setup for the earlier wave is not as supportive. The GFS keys on the energy driving down the backside of the trough into the base and by this point the pattern at H5 seems more supportive. A nice strong area of confluence with some blocking and higher hgts over the top, which would prevent the HP from budging.

The EURO has a ridge axis that is not nearly as amped as the GFS and further west. It takes the first wave and drives it into WVA, and allows for a secondary off the NJ coast. There is a weak area of confluence and not much blocking yet. This pattern and what evolves at H5 seems less supportive of a snowstorm for our area. Ironically, the GFS is the model without the storm while the EURO has one. IMO I would think we would need a weak first wave and focus on the energy driving into the trough if we are going to see a snowstorm here. I think things would need to play out more like the GFS. So the reality is the solution for next weekend remains cloudy.

No matter how you slice it the signals are clearly there for something. And the reality is models continue to key in on important factors such as +PNA ridge out west and a large area of confluence over SE Canada. As we get closer to the event these features have remained persistent, unlike on other occassions throughout this winter. I think it is safe to say that a more supportive pattern is unfolding. Interestingly enough, at 240hrs it appears as if the EURO is gearing up to show another snow threat for the NE. Most importantly, most models show signs that these signals are real and not transient. Although the first wave might not produce, I do believe the pattern in place next weekend and beyond will eventually produce a snowstorm for most.

At any rate, the Euro usually doesn't hang on to the wrong solution that long so we'll know in a day or two if this is for real or not. It's our best shot for something memorable in this atrocious winter.

I think our best shot is after this period. After the PNA ridge and the cold air are over our area.

Somewhere between Feb. 7-12 timeframe and beyond.

The Feb. 3rd storm comes in too early, IMO. We need everything to be perfect to get a snowstorm during that timeframe.

I think our best shot is after this period. After the PNA ridge and the cold air are over our area.

Somewhere between Feb. 7-12 timeframe and beyond.

The Feb. 3rd storm comes in too early, IMO. We need everything to be perfet to get a snowstorm during that timeframe.

You're right, I didn't mean to suggest it was over after next weekend, I meant our best shot so far....next week has a lot of work to do, but there is a major signal for something interesting.

The GFS and EURO are vastly different. I will start with the GFS. The GFS has the ridge axis much further east then the EURO. There is a very deep trough with a lot of energy diving down on the backside. The GFS has a weak wave pass over the area, the same wave the EURO keys on. The setup for the earlier wave is not as supportive. The GFS keys on the energy driving down the backside of the trough into the base and by this point the pattern at H5 seems more supportive. A nice strong area of confluence with some blocking and higher hgts over the top, which would prevent the HP from budging.

The EURO has a ridge axis that is not nearly as amped as the GFS and further west. It takes the first wave and drives it into WVA, and allows for a secondary off the NJ coast. There is a weak area of confluence and not much blocking yet. This pattern and what evolves at H5 seems less supportive of a snowstorm for our area. Ironically, the GFS is the model without the storm while the EURO has one. IMO I would think we would need a weak first wave and focus on the energy driving into the trough if we are going to see a snowstorm here. I think things would need to play out more like the GFS. So the reality is the solution for next weekend remains cloudy.

Yes, fabulous post, im not sure everyone even knows this. The GFS shears out the euro storm and focuses on the next colder piece of energy, while the euro blows up the first one. It already changed a ton in 24 hrs, nevermind 180!

Upton - Long Range:

THEREAFTER...BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF ADVERTISE A VIGOROUS SHORTWAVE

CARVING OUT A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE CENTER

OF THE COUNTRY AS LOW PRESSURE STARTS TO DEVELOP OVER THE GULF

COAST STATES. IT APPEARS THAT THERE MAY BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR

PHASING OF THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAMS...WHICH IS A RARE

EVENT THIS WINTER. THE GFS AND ECMWF DO NOT AGREE ON AN EXACT

TRACK OF THE LOW LATE IN THE WEEK DUE TO SLIGHT TIMING AND

PLACEMENT DEVIATIONS WITH THE WAVE AND 500 HPA TROUGH AXIS AND

MAGNITUDE. FOR NOW...HAVE KEPT THINGS ON THE WARM SIDE FOR MOST OF

THE PRECIPITATION EVENT LATE IN THE WEEK...PRIMARILY DUE TO THE

MILD AIR IN PLACE MID-WEEK. HOWEVER...ANTICIPATE THAT COLDER AIR

WILL ADVANCE INTO THE REGION ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE LOW...FOR THE

END OF THE WEEK.

Upton - Long Range:

THEREAFTER...BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF ADVERTISE A VIGOROUS SHORTWAVE

CARVING OUT A HIGHLY AMPLIFIED UPPER LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE CENTER

OF THE COUNTRY AS LOW PRESSURE STARTS TO DEVELOP OVER THE GULF

COAST STATES. IT APPEARS THAT THERE MAY BE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR

PHASING OF THE NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN STREAMS...WHICH IS A RARE

EVENT THIS WINTER. THE GFS AND ECMWF DO NOT AGREE ON AN EXACT

TRACK OF THE LOW LATE IN THE WEEK DUE TO SLIGHT TIMING AND

PLACEMENT DEVIATIONS WITH THE WAVE AND 500 HPA TROUGH AXIS AND

MAGNITUDE. FOR NOW...HAVE KEPT THINGS ON THE WARM SIDE FOR MOST OF

THE PRECIPITATION EVENT LATE IN THE WEEK...PRIMARILY DUE TO THE

MILD AIR IN PLACE MID-WEEK. HOWEVER...ANTICIPATE THAT COLDER AIR

WILL ADVANCE INTO THE REGION ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE LOW...FOR THE

END OF THE WEEK.

sounds like a cold rain which makes sense given the pattern advertised.

sounds like a cold rain which makes sense given the pattern advertised.

yea... the lack of a cold airmass is definitely a big problem.. especially if it plays out like the Euro solution.. either way, it's dicey at this point.. but there's hope, at least.. Hard to believe, this is basically the first real coastal threat of the winter to track... unless you count October 30th.. lol ... and I'm not sure if it should be classified as a real threat yet

Archived