Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 500 pattern is such that the low digs far enough and the trough digs so much, that the low moves more ENE instead of NNE. It's not pretty, but we want confluence to our north. Like I said..I wouldn't even get excited until at least Monday. Otherwise, enjoy the weekend and drink heavily.

The 500 pattern is such that the low digs far enough and the trough digs so much, that the low moves more ENE instead of NNE. It's not pretty, but we want confluence to our north. Like I said..I wouldn't even get excited until at least Monday. Otherwise, enjoy the weekend and drink heavily.

no doubt the pattern is going to be amplified.. it's a deep trough.... the GFS is handling the energy in such a fashion that it is uniformly distributed around the base.. and so the trof is just basically propogating eastward and staying in a neutral position.. It would be nice if a consolidate piece of energy dives into that thing causes the height pattern on the lee side to diverge... even then... temps are going to be problematic with this system. Some blocking around davis straights would help us..

If we had any kind of blocking, this could be a beautiful overrunning setup with the potential for a coastal. Even a better antecendent airmass would do us okay.

The second shortwave around 180 hrs is more impressive, too, once it gets to the base of the trough. All the garbage around 150 hours that ejects northeast is really making it look ugly.

no doubt the pattern is going to be amplified.. it's a deep trough.... the GFS is handling the energy in such a fashion that it is uniformly distributed around the base.. and so the trof is just basically propogating eastward and staying in a neutral position.. It would be nice if a consolidate piece of energy dives into that thing causes the height pattern on the lee side to diverge... even then... temps are going to be problematic with this system. Some blocking around davis straights would help us..

If we had any kind of blocking, this could be a beautiful overrunning setup with the potential for a coastal. Even a better antecendent airmass would do us okay.

The second shortwave around 180 hrs is more impressive, too, once it gets to the base of the trough. All the garbage around 150 hours that ejects northeast is really making it look ugly.

What I meant, was that there is just enough confluence to our northeast and the trough digs deeply but moves east steadily, that we see that solution.

BTW, the GFS is miller B central.

yea, that second one almost has a miller b-ish type feel to it.. energy maybe diving to mid-atlantic.. coastal reformation.. perhaps...

What I meant, was that there is just enough confluence to our northeast and the trough digs deeply but moves east steadily, that we see that solution.

BTW, the GFS is miller B central.

The ridge really gets going in the long range with 570dm + heights into British Columbia. Once that starts happening -- you're pretty much going to displace the PV to Central-Eastern Canada. And with a ridge on the west coast, even without blocking, you can get shortwaves just ripping south out of Central Canada and amplifying off the East Coast.

Hopefully the GFS has a clue this time.

Gotta say john that if these models are onto a +++pna and we get some cold air we can really pull off a decent winter afterall. Ive not gotten this excited this winter yet and looks like as of now february may deliver for us. Lets just hope these models arent going through the " its 10 days away " for the next 10 days lol

its a powder keg with a 500 low like that, pna ridge, and uber warm atlantic waters. If this storm is a dud I still think we do not get out of February with less than two significant events, one possibly historic. Even the cmc ensembles which have been very meh most of this winter are barking.

at this point, i'm excited, but a healthy skeptic at this stage. Can't blame anyone for that after this winter of false starts (particularly this month). I guess my question is, when will we know that these "trackable threats" are real (excluding the friday storm next week, which looks to be a table-setter IMHO)? My hunch would be this: if it's next wednesday and things are still looking good into the middle of February, which is historically our peak snowfall time anyway, I think we're in business. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

its a powder keg with a 500 low like that, pna ridge, and uber warm atlantic waters. If this storm is a dud I still think we do not get out of February with less than two significant events, one possibly historic. Even the cmc ensembles which have been very meh most of this winter are barking.

A surprisingly large amount of these Canadian ensemble members would be historic patterns here. Some of them have 576+dm ridge cores over Southern BC! (p002, p003, p005, p006, p007, p008, p009, p014, p018)

http://www.meteo.psu...DE_12z/f312.gif

Lol, we'd cut off our cold air source and leave the PV over Southern New England. What's modeled on the link above is perfect. Too bad its 300 hrs out and not likely to happen.

yeah lol.

But ir can happen; it has plenty of support with the other models; while the strength of the ridge is yet to be seen... (the PNA ridge that is).

Lol, we'd cut off our cold air source and leave the PV over Southern New England. What's modeled on the link above is perfect. Too bad its 300 hrs out and not likely to happen.

Ok Weenie question here. What would happen to the PV if the cold air source was cut off? Would it just die off?

00z gfs is not great but its not terrible either. As expected its focusing more on the 2nd s/w, while the first piece of energy moves well to our north. This allows more cold air to get in place with a building high pressure, but the trough didn't get its act together in time. Nothing to jump up and down about but it's worth watching

Archived