Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is colder because on most of the members, the low tracks further south. The further north the low is, the warmer it is. This setup is not favorable at all.

Ever heard of thread the needle? Just like people were saying back in January that the setup wasn't favorable at all.

I must say this; the pattern has taken a turn for the worse in the LR, but.... IT MIGHT be here a bit later than we expect; so maybe Presidents Day Weekend will be our last shot at snow. Roger Smith's forecast thinks so and he has been very well this season.

It's certainly possible that the event works out like the GFS and DGEX suggest, but it would be based mostly on the timing of the shortwave moving southeast from Canada which almost acts as a confluent shortwave to help and shear out the shortwave and cool the mid levels. The boundary layer will remain a problem.

So I'm assuming the crappy pattern is going to continue and we won't be seeing any new pattern change?

There are lots of things which make the storm at 384hrs suspect but the GFS has been hinting at a storm in the 10-16 day range for awhile now. The things to take from the run are a nice PNA ridge out west. The ridge axis ends up a bit too far east (centered over Montana instead of Idaho) but its just another thing to watch. A more experienced forecaster will tell you that these types of storms show up all the time in the long range and 99% of the time they fizzle out as time goes on.

Hey earthlight you still think next week, next weekend still has a chance of producing something big as far as ejecting the shortwave and having the gulf of mexico open for business?

I see no reason to drastically change my thoughts. The February 10-15 period still offers a chance for a winter storm and it could be the last such period for a while which is something that myself and Tom/Isotherm have been saying for a while. The models have been fluctuating a bit, but there's no use in getting upset. Just relax and let it play out. There are plenty of signals that favor this peril more than any period so far this winter.

I see no reason to drastically change my thoughts. The February 10-15 period still offers a chance for a winter storm and it could be the last such period for a while which is something that myself and Tom/Isotherm have been saying for a while. The models have been fluctuating a bit, but there's no use in getting upset. Just relax and let it play out. There are plenty of signals that favor this peril more than any period so far this winter.

Yes, I'd agree, but it might be a bit late maybe to extend the deadline to February 10-20th (ten day window).

12z Nogaps - Squashes the storm well to the south

12z GGEM- Identical to the Euro but not as much

12z GFS - Slightly south of the area but precip gets into the area

12z GEFS - Way south of the area but precip gets up here

12z Euro- Cuts in the midwest

Model chaos to the extreme

I find myself wondering if the GFS north trend might happen to be the beginning of a trend toward the EC... who knows.

The normally always far north NAM at 84 hours is not that far north at all relative to the GFS and is nothing like the Euro which leads me to believe this could be a case where the Euro is gravely wrong. I also tend to trust the GFS over the Euro when you see big differences inside 108 or 96 hours.

Archived