Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the data goes into all of the models.

Not what he was asking. There was a specific recon mission into the pacific to sample the grid with more info. These missions are not flown often, and are usually reserved for high chance scenarios, or when the models have become totally disorientated and their solutions vary from run to run.

Atown, I believe sometime this week, if not last nights 0z's suite. But don't quote me on that.

Not what he was asking. There was a specific recon mission into the pacific to sample the grid with more info. These missions are not flown often, and are usually reserved for high chance scenarios, or when the models have become totally disorientated and their solutions vary from run to run.

Atown, I believe sometime this week, if not last nights 0z's suite. But don't quote me on that.

My understanding was it was done last night but I was being told that they do not incorporate THAT data into the foreign models and that is why the GFS is so vastly different from the foreign models...

NOUS42 KNHC 301730 WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL. 1230 PM EST MON 30 JANUARY 2012 SUBJECT: WINTER STORM PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)

VALID 31/1100Z JANUARY TO 01/1100Z FEBRUARY 2012 WSPOD NUMBER.....11-061

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS 1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS. 2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.

II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS 1. FLIGHT ONE -- TEAL 71 A. P55/ DROP 9 (45.0N 157.0W)/ 01/0000Z B. AFXXX 09WSC TRACK55 C. 31/1830Z D. 16 DROPS AS PUBLISHED ON TRACK E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 01/0600Z

FLIGHT TWO -- NOAA 49 A. P55/ DROP 9 (45.0N 157.0W)/ 01/1200Z B. NOAA9 10WSC TRACK55 C. 01/0730Z D. 16 DROPS AS PUBLISHED ON TRACK E. 41,000 TO 45,000 FT/ 01/1800Z

2. SUCCEEDING DAY OUTLOOK: A. POSSIBLE TEAL C-130J MISSION FOR P56/ DROP 9 (44.3N 151.0W)/ 02/0000Z. B. POSSIBLE NOAA G-IV MISSION FOR P56/ DROP 9 (44.3N 151.0W)/ 02/1200Z.

NOAA is pretty much obligated by treaty (through WMO) to share all its observational data (except anything which is gained via private vendors, this of course not being one of those cases). So I see no reason why the recon mission data wouldn't be incorporated into all the models.

Thought i would gather some thoughts on this potential pattern in my blog..would appreciate any feedback

http://www.examiner....ks-mid-february

Good write-up, just one thing about the MJO. You say immediately before it, "not just long range guidance" although with the MJO phase 8/1 potential we are technically banking on long range model guidance being correct in that depiction. It looks like a lock that we'll see a pretty amplified wave through octant 7 (and that is a major change from the winter thus far), but I'd say there's still a chance it dies going into 8 (or weakens significantly) and we don't really get those conducive 8-1-2 phases. Given how the MJO has behaved this winter, it wouldn't surprise me if it weakens rapidly in phase 8.

Good write-up, just one thing about the MJO. You say immediately before it, "not just long range guidance" although with the MJO phase 8/1 potential we are technically banking on long range model guidance being correct in that depiction. It looks like a lock that we'll see a pretty amplified wave through octant 7 (and that is a major change from the winter thus far), but I'd say there's still a chance it dies going into 8 (or weakens significantly) and we don't really get those conducive 8-1-2 phases. Given how the MJO has behaved this winter, it wouldn't surprise me if it weakens rapidly in phase 8.

Great point, and thank you for highlighting that. This was really the first time I've ever mentioned the MJO in one of my articles because I am always attempting to simplify things for the facebook friend/family readers who have never heard of this stuff. So in that sense it was really my way to introduce it to my non-board audience. It's tough finding a balance, but I could have worded that part better.

I also very much agree with your assertion about the lingering possibility this dies going into 8. It is the underlying reason why I was not more adament in the article actually, hanging on to words like "if" and "potential" lol. Also, in my thoughts I settled on the MJO probably clipping phase 8 and dieing before entering 1-2..which is why I am leaning on othe shorter 1-2 week period for this pattern

http://www.policlimate.com/climate/cdas_ao_nao_daily.png

The NAO and AO are currently negative. Somethings gotta give...I mean...c'mon lol.

You have to look at more than the charts. You have to look at H5 and see what's going on.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=indexℑ=&page=Param&cycle=01%2F31%2F2012+18UTC&rname=UPPER+AIR+PARMS&pname=500_vort_ht&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=NAMER&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=000&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&prevArea=NAMER&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

Flat zonal flow across the pacific west coast, low heights near western central Greenland. Theres higher heights towards Europe, but that minimally affects effective downstream blocking for us. That gives those charts a "-NAO" but not one effective for us.

The -AO showings up on them charts Are higher heights near the pole, however, on the other side of the world. Doesn't really help us out.

A true -AO/-NAO wouldn't give us a torch on the east coast.

What a pipe dream the 12z Euro long range pattern was. Not only do we have major ridging in the higher latitudes, and a huge ridge out west. The Euro also had a split flow out west with a real signal for troughiness and energy underneath the large PNA. What a classic overrunning pattern if anything were to eject northeast out of that area.

BvXpf.png

What a pipe dream the 12z Euro long range pattern was. Not only do we have major ridging in the higher latitudes, and a huge ridge out west. The Euro also had a split flow out west with a real signal for troughiness and energy underneath the large PNA. What a classic overrunning pattern if anything were to eject northeast out of that area.

BvXpf.png

IF we see that runs contiune, then we can probably get a large scale storm; the ones we all want.

Archived