northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February Winter Storm Prospects

WeatherX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want to see what the MJO forecasts show in the coming days..Obviously the majority have been showing the progression that we've all been looking for into the favorable phases in the recent week, lending a hand to this window for a good pattern. However, some more recent predictions are hinting at it peaking into phase 7 and then heading back towards the circle of death, only clipping phase 8. I hope that doesnt happen, but if it did then we may be talking about the shorter window Earthlight just alluded to. Let's get that thing to propogate around to phases 1 and 2!

Well phase 8 historically is pretty important for blocking. I agree with the progression through it being important though. I'm interested in seeing the GFS Super Ensemble this afternoon. They have been bullish with high latitude ridging the last two days.

I do not think many people here are actually thinking the MJO gets anywhere past phase 8, its much more likely it starts to die into the COD as it makes progess in phase 8. If this happens, we get maybe 1 week to produce a storm before the pattern reverts into a more zonal flow which floods the country with pacific air.

I haven't heard the chatter elsewhere, but I'll take your word for it. It's been tough for a wave to get passed the ENSO forcing all winter. I'm okay with a quick window of time here, I cant say I really expected anything else. alls I really expected/am expecting is that a huge PNA ridge goes up in the next few days and delivers a winter-like pattern for part of Feb

Well phase 8 historically is pretty important for blocking. I agree with the progression through it being important though. I'm interested in seeing the GFS Super Ensemble this afternoon. They have been bullish with high latitude ridging the last two days.

What I fear is that the Super Ensemble and European Weeklies can be very wrong with their predicitons with the blocking signature all because of the MJO forecast progression.

I thought the 12z GFS looked MUCH better for overrunning no??

12Z

The system is about 300 miles east in each comparable 6z frame and moves directly east off the NC coast without any northern move and we get no precip................strong high pressure is suppressing it - this run is much better then the inland secondary up the coast run and any slight northern move and turn up the coast and we are in the frozen precip - hard to believe this will just scoot directly east off the coast and out to the atlantic

At least the maps we've seen from the GFS and looks like the UKMet show more potential than if it floods us with warm air.

Not sure what you guys are looking for here. We get a lakes cutter that floods us with warm air or we get cold and flurries as it passes to our south. The orientation of the ridge out west is really killing us. If it was more aligned north to south, we wouldn't have ended up with a cut off low out west. The system would have dug much further south and we would have been in business. Any redevelopment offshore looks to be too far south and east except for maybe eastern Long Island and far eastern New England. Per the 6z DGEX, temps only drop below 30 degrees once on the entire run in NYC, gotta love that.

To me, it looks like the models are slowly going right back to what they showed a couple of days ago, trying to drive the system into that high over Southeast Canada, then sliding it east, or re-developing it near the coast. In my humble opinion, this may very well come further north again, just as it did a couple of days ago. How often have we seen he models do this?

To me, it looks like the models are slowly going right back to what they showed a couple of days ago, trying to drive the system into that high over Southeast Canada, then sliding it east, or re-developing it near the coast. In my humble opinion, this may very well come further north again, just as it did a couple of days ago. How often have we seen he models do this?

It's the strength/position of the high pressure thats flexing its muscles here. The GFS shows a supressed mess right now. A more amplified/stronger wave would be more likely to produce better secondary development.

Interesting find of the day -- a few of the GFS ensemble members dampen out the shortwave and allow a confluent flow to take over -- but then bring a shortwave in to the mean trough and strengthen a surface low off the coast. 4 of them turn into snowstorms.

http://www.meteo.psu...NE_12z/f150.gif

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ENSPRS_12z/f156.gif

I posted here yesterday that i thought this was going to belly under and i believe that more than i did yesterday .

This is not going to the lakes IMO in the face of a neg NAO . Today i am of the opinion that once to the east coast

you may get better developement than the models see . I dont see this escaping .

These systems like to bowling ball under the confluence and once to the coast intensify .

As i said yesterday im not concerned with the track ending up south and eats

of the area but the lack of cold air .

So where i see promise , I see problems .

Interesting find of the day -- a few of the GFS ensemble members dampen out the shortwave and allow a confluent flow to take over -- but then bring a shortwave in to the mean trough and strengthen a surface low off the coast. 4 of them turn into snowstorms.

http://www.meteo.psu...NE_12z/f150.gif

http://www.meteo.psu...RS_12z/f156.gif

Nice find indeed. This is just shows us that there's nothing set in stone just yet. It doesn't mean it's going to snow but what it does mean is that no one solution is guaranteed.

Archived