• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Wow, I thought that I would be okay for a snow to ice event here in the Plymouth NH area but the Euro has the surface temp to 32F up to Jackman ME. Awful. Can't even get enough snow cover this year for snowmobiling. I thought this would be a net gain but it seems to be a definate loss for me and even the White Mountains.

Looks like a loss for everyone except maybe the mountains of western ME during the synoptic event. Could be decent wrap around moisture in NNE but even here we are really beating a dead horse with 1-2" snow on top of 1" of liquid...

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a loss for everyone except maybe the mountains of western ME during the synoptic event. Could be decent wrap around moisture in NNE but even here we are really beating a dead horse with 1-2" snow on top of 1" of liquid...

I can tell you first hand that at my local, And i don't even mention it anymore when any model shows it, That wraparound is a 100% fail here as i get downsloped

Yeah thats the case for me too, off the greens. PF is really the only one who makes out with stuff like that. Just an awful turn of events.

My fears last night were NW trends and there is nothing to stop it other then a sheared out weaker system with more northern stream involvement, Not going to happen

I'd been planning to take the kids to Shawnee Peak for our first day of skiing this weekend, but man is this looking ugly. Just when it seemed like we were finally starting to build things up.

I really could not fathom GYX's snow-bullishness this morning given the preponderance of warming guidance. Unlike the last couple events, the "cold high" doesn't seem very impressive and it's always looked like a question of whether we could thread the needle. Naturally the thread headed NW.

My fears last night were NW trends and there is nothing to stop it other then a sheared out weaker system with more northern stream involvement, Not going to happen

-AO is lowest it has been in a year and should remain low for storm

PNA is rising

NAM has this as cold storm for good chunk of maine (20's -30's nw to se)

has weak diffuse LP over w. NY as secondary redvelops over mass and heads ENE/NE into GOMaine.

IF i was in MAINE and to lesser extent even the eastern sliver of north-central NH. i def wouldn't give up on this thing yet.

the euro ...even at 48 hours don't count out cooling trends with a dynamic system.

-AO is lowest it has been in a year and should remain low for storm

PNA is rising

NAM has this as cold storm for good chunk of maine (20's -30's nw to se)

has weak diffuse LP over w. NY as secondary redvelops over mass and heads ENE/NE into GOMaine.

IF i was in MAINE and to lesser extent even the eastern sliver of north-central NH. i def wouldn't give up on this thing yet.

the euro ...even at 48 hours don't count out cooling trends with a dynamic system.

Agree. Thats the overall feeling here in the LSC wx center. This is highly dynamic and the grid spacing doesnt account for CAD either.

We'll still have to see how strong the secondary gets to hold off the mid-levels from torching. I think ME will be the best spot to be with this one, and even here it looks pretty ugly for most of the population.

Here's the link to the latest snow prob's.

http://www.meteo.psu...robsnwloop.html

f12s54.gif

Thanks for posting this. Im happy something is happening. I'll take whatever we can get at this point.

18z nam hits the ossipee region of nh ENE over to interior maine away from coast . tight gradient from like concord,nh over toward KLEW

Its been the case most of the "winter". I've heard its gonna be tough to stay all frozen in the CON region many times. Kind of a bummer but most times I've ended up getting an inch or two so I would go with the same for this one.

Hey Will (or any met reading), there's a glaring difference between the NAM and the EURO...which solution are you buying into at this point/what model does a better job handling these type of events? Because the NAM takes almost the same track as the EURO. Would the NAM due better at detecting low level CAD?

Don't be fooled by the NAM. It is very warm at 800mb. This is a lot of ice for C NH...especially the higher elevations like Gene. If we can keep the redeveloping sfc low to our south Friday could get precarious in some locations.

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/make.html

IZG 12z fri sounding

thou they look cold enough for snow on 18z nam thru 9z.....w/ a warm nose at 750 kissing 0.5 C then

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/make.html

IZG 12z fri sounding

thou they look cold enough for snow on 18z nam thru 9z.....w/ a warm nose at 750 kissing 0.5 C then

Yeah...IZG nears a changeover around 9z Fri this run.

I reach an isothermal 0C between H85-H75 at 6z...that's after 0.35" of w.e. as snow.

I wouldn't really buy it at this point though as the EC op/ens are horrendous. We'll see how the 00z runs fare.

Hey Will (or any met reading), there's a glaring difference between the NAM and the EURO...which solution are you buying into at this point/what model does a better job handling these type of events? Because the NAM takes almost the same track as the EURO. Would the NAM due better at detecting low level CAD?

NAM historically does much better with CAD than the Euro but it did a lot worse in the Jan 12th event for some reason.

I'd buy the Euro solution synoptically, but the NAM might do a bit better in the low levels. We'll see...Euro is pretty cold too at the sfc, but it eventually tries to track the low into the interior whereas the NAM keeps it along the coastal plain and locks the cold in the interior a little more efficiently.

The is probably going to be a big sleet/ice event for CNE...and perhaps some decent icing in the northern parts of interior SNE if the low stays along the CP.

Yeah...IZG nears a changeover around 9z Fri this run.

I reach an isothermal 0C between H85-H75 at 6z...that's after 0.35" of w.e. as snow.

I wouldn't really buy it at this point though as the EC op/ens are horrendous. We'll see how the 00z runs fare.

Key. I really don't buy any cold solutions at this point. It's the Euro/ens, Srefs, and gfs/ens Vs. the Nam...like come on.

Archived