joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27/12 SWFE Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do ECM 2m temps look for the Monadnocks?

I just don't see the big high, NE/NNE flow, and antecedent cold that we need for a large icing event. Looks more like a slopstorm to me.

32 during precip fall, actually the Euro gives decent snow on its weenie snow maps. Will always says the Euro is too warm at the surface so this could be interesting for the Tubeanator

How do ECM 2m temps look for the Monadnocks?

I just don't see the big high, NE/NNE flow, and antecedent cold that we need for a large icing event. Looks more like a slopstorm to me.

Its not a large icing event...but 6-8 hours of icing can cause some issues. Euro was pretty cold through 42h, but it has the sfc low not developing enough of a secondary to hold the cold air in longer than that, so it would likely be only 1 or 2 tenths of ice...however, the Euro can often be too warm at the sfc too in these setups.

We'll just have to see how the 00z runs come in. Climo very often wants to form a little triple point low that tracks along RI/SE MA and if that happens, it will be icing in the monadnocks for most of the storm.

Huge icing events are rare...you need a lot of things to line up. That's why they happen like once every 10 years.

Its not a large icing event...but 6-8 hours of icing can cause some issues. Euro was pretty cold through 42h, but it has the sfc low not developing enough of a secondary to hold the cold air in longer than that, so it would likely be only 1 or 2 tenths of ice...however, the Euro can often be too warm at the sfc too in these setups.

We'll just have to see how the 00z runs come in. Climo very often wants to form a little triple point low that tracks along RI/SE MA and if that happens, it will be icing in the monadnocks for most of the storm.

Huge icing events are rare...you need a lot of things to line up. That's why they happen like once every 10 years.

Yes, no 2008 or anything but looks like enough for travel, branch issues. White Birch bender

You usually want to see at least 1.50-2.00 inches of qpf modeld as ZR to worry about a major damaging ice storm.

Sometimes you can get them when its modeled less, but the icing has to be very efficient with a really solid high to the north supplying plenty of low level cold and low dewpoints...or have it add up over like 36 hours.

I think it will keep moving north and trend warmer.

A nice 36F rain for most of it

remember that southern stream vort that was supposed to bring rain to the canadian border only to bring the snow/ice/rain line to like methuen, ma on the 12'th

we have a solidly negative AO

and a rising PNA

i dont think winds will really be rippin from the ESE either that far inland

let's get this triple point going and you can ice skate across to wa wa fri am.

remember that southern stream vort that was supposed to bring rain to the canadian border only to bring the snow/ice/rain line to like methuen, ma on the 12'th

we have a solidly negative AO

and a rising PNA

let's get this triple point going and you can ice skate across to wa wa fri am.

I remember 12/23 as well...

Let's hope it doesn't want to ice at Vim Toot's instead.

well you certainly are not getting 2 inches of qpf, bet you get enough for a Friday delay though. Stay thirsty my friend thirsty Thursday night.

Lol... I have back to back ski club evenings Thurs and Friday. Mine on Thursday, and my son's on Friday. At least the wet stuff should be done fairly early on Friday.

Skiing might blow, though

Anyway, something possibly interesting to track at least. Better than trading barbs with Gints fans in OT, lol

Archived