Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uggh. I never had a chance to scrape the couple inches of slush off the driveway before I left for work the other day and now it's well insulated and frozen solid. Walking is treacherous because it's all ratty underneath the new snow :yikes: Good thing we have two Subarus because the plow pile at the end of the driveway is equally as immovable :sled:

Uggh. I never had a chance to scrape the couple inches of slush off the driveway before I left for work the other day and now it's well insulated and frozen solid. Walking is treacherous because it's all ratty underneath the new snow :yikes: Good thing we have two Subarus because the plow pile at the end of the driveway is equally as immovable :sled:

I have a stone driveway so scrapping it isn't possible. My wife and I both have 4wd so we are able to slide up and down the driveway without a problem. Now a couple of guests coming over tomorrow night who do not have 4wd may need a little help getting out.

Wow.. wait a minute lol. You mean to tell me Monroe/Highland Mils/Harriman wasn't jackpot ?? Its a miracle! that area is a snow magnet. Looks like out here on the western side we benefited from the initial snowfall from this morning.

LoL....I'm not quite sure now because I woke up to over an inch more in the driveway this morning. It was before the ferocious winds came up but this afternoon I had 3 inches in the driveway from drifting. I went to bed at about 10 so I'm not sure. Lets just call it a win for you guys this one. :)

It blew like hell up here today. 3 plus foot drifts now. Everything that fell here from Xmas onward has been pure powder so it all blew and plugged my paths, etc.. I had quite a fight to get the driveway clear, but finally calmed now. 16F outside.

The wind is whippin the snow out there, near whiteouts along 416 with drifts building into the road. Nice.

I was by your hood today.. Took the little ones sled riding at Stony Ford. Wind was nasty today & alot of spin outs from the blowing snow

I trust all had fun. I was on 416 from here down to 207 and drive through a couple of near whiteouts but its the other end of 416 towards 211 that can really get interesting. It reminds me at times of the blowing and drifting I would see when my brother still lived up in Cazenovia but not nearly as bad here.

It blew like hell up here today. 3 plus foot drifts now. Everything that fell here from Xmas onward has been pure powder so it all blew and plugged my paths, etc.. I had quite a fight to get the driveway clear, but finally calmed now. 16F outside.

Our snow from the other day is an icy base, we only had 4-5" of yesterday's powder blowing around so our drifts aren't as big as yours.

I trust all had fun. I was on 416 from here down to 207 and drive through a couple of near whiteouts but its the other end of 416 towards 211 that can really get interesting. It reminds me at times of the blowing and drifting I would see when my brother still lived up in Cazenovia but not nearly as bad here.

Alot of open land up that way. The airport I believe is right there as well..

For locals there is an article in the Times Herald Record about one of the survivors of the Coldenham tragedy in 1989. Thats a day that I, along with many others, will never forget around here.

I was just talking about that with someone who was in that school at the time. Alot of those kids are now very well off from what I hear.

I remember that day well because I was in grad school, doing an internship in the archives of the Friars of the Atonement (Graymoor) in Garrison, NY. Those storms hit me as I drove north toward home (lived in Saugerties) passing right by the Newburgh area shortly after the incident, listening to coverage on 880 radio.

That was a big shift in the wx pattern and we had a very cold December and Xmas/New years period 1989-90. But that was about all winter had that year...it turned milder in early January and never got very cold again.  We were in those thankless mild years then...from about 1988-1992 when you couldn't even buy a good Nor'easter, etc. The jinx finally ended in Dec. 1992.

I was just talking about that with someone who was in that school at the time. Alot of those kids are now very well off from what I hear.

I was a senior in high school and I remember the wind blowing the rain through the tiny gaps around the windows in the NFA library and the flags blown straight out in the wind. Then it got cold in the afternoon. My math teacher in my junior year lost his son in the collapse. I work with a women now who was a student in the cafeteria when it happened, she has some memories but many are hazy for her now. You're correct about that winter sucking, I remember the heat wave in February, it was unbelievable.

Got down to 8 degrees this morning.

We got very cold during the middle of the night... down to -2F.  Then it cllouded up and now some flurries.

I was a senior in high school and I remember the wind blowing the rain through the tiny gaps around the windows in the NFA library and the flags blown straight out in the wind. Then it got cold in the afternoon. My math teacher in my junior year lost his son in the collapse. I work with a women now who was a student in the cafeteria when it happened, she has some memories but many are hazy for her now. You're correct about that winter sucking, I remember the heat wave in February, it was unbelievable.

Got down to 8 degrees this morning.

I remember that day well because I was in grad school, doing an internship in the archives of the Friars of the Atonement (Graymoor) in Garrison, NY.

Funny you should mention that place Rick. My dad attended a seminary out in Elmira when he was young (thank God he didn't go through with it). When I was growing up on Staten Island, he would occasionally take us up to Graymoor on day trips. A very simple place that I couldn't understand why we went to but I guess it was the scenic ride up over the Bear Mtn. bridge.I believe the steel structure shaped like a cross from the WTC on 9-11 resides there now.

Archived