Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not as warm as it could have been, but my snow's all gone so it didn't make much difference. Sitting at 45/45 and 98% humidity, like a lukewarm soup. I think it's kind of been an interesting weekend though. You don't usually see dense fog stick around for 48 hours, and I'd rather have something interesting to look at than partly cloudy and 29F.

Not as warm as it could have been, but my snow's all gone so it didn't make much difference. Sitting at 45/45 and 98% humidity, like a lukewarm soup. I think it's kind of been an interesting weekend though. You don't usually see dense fog stick around for 48 hours, and I'd rather have something interesting to look at than partly cloudy and 29F.

Literally all gone or patchy?  I have bare grass in spots but I also have spots with a couple of inches still.

I'm returning to Albany next week after having spent a while in NE NJ, while the Northeast received several snowstorm... I'm really hoping the pattern is at least somewhat favorable and not too suppressed by then; with the Wednesday storm now favoring the Hudson Valley, I'm on track next week to record having gone through a full year without seeing a single 2+ inch snowstorm, which is disappointing for NE US standards. Not having much luck with snow cover either as whatever falls on Wednesday will likely melt should the mild weekend outlooks verify.

I'm returning to Albany next week after having spent a while in NE NJ, while the Northeast received several snowstorm... I'm really hoping the pattern is at least somewhat favorable and not too suppressed by then; with the Wednesday storm now favoring the Hudson Valley, I'm on track next week to record having gone through a full year without seeing a single 2+ inch snowstorm, which is disappointing for NE US standards. Not having much luck with snow cover either as whatever falls on Wednesday will likely melt should the mild weekend outlooks verify.

I had a few stretches like that in the 80's and 90's, it does totally suck. Hang in there though, you'll appreciate it that much more when the worm finally turns for you.

I had a few stretches like that in the 80's and 90's, it does totally suck. Hang in there though, you'll appreciate it that much more when the worm finally turns for you.

Thanks, I'm really hoping snow chances improve... I usually joke that I have a "portable snow dome" around me that wherever I go, it almost never snows, and somehow this was actually the case this year. It snowed in NE NJ when I was in Albany, now it's snowing in Albany when I'm in NE NJ. Now it looks like barely a day or two after I return, the next storm should be a clipper; if it redevelops, it would probably favor southern areas more than the interior NE, although this far out it can still change - at this time range the CMC still had tomorrow's storm as a SECS for I-95 and the ECM showed almost nothing. I'm holding out hope for the end of the month and February though, pattern already looks much better for the Hudson Valley in terms of cold, hopefully that also translates to snowfall once the significant cold moderates. I'd be surprised if I make it through the rest of the winter without a single 2"+ storm, especially being in Albany.

Pretty good storm here, measured 3"...looks to be briefly lightening up...hoping to get to advisory criteria with the last round coming in from the west. 28.6/27.1.

Yeah, a quick-hitting 3.5" for me and a few more tenths probable before it lets up. I must have had pretty good rates for a while because I wasn't sleeping that long and I missed most of the storm... lol. 27/23, mod snow

This thread died down... I'm returning to Albany tomorrow just in time for the coldest week since Jan 2011 and two snow events, although IMO NWS Albany is overdone with the widespread 2"+ totals tomorrow night. Just 4-5" from the Friday storm will be enough to make it my biggest snowstorm since October 2011, hopefully it doesn't miss to the south... models are still not too consistent but overall I'm liking chances for at least light-moderate accumulations in the Hudson Valley.

This thread died down... I'm returning to Albany tomorrow just in time for the coldest week since Jan 2011 and two snow events, although IMO NWS Albany is overdone with the widespread 2"+ totals tomorrow night. Just 4-5" from the Friday storm will be enough to make it my biggest snowstorm since October 2011, hopefully it doesn't miss to the south... models are still not too consistent but overall I'm liking chances for at least light-moderate accumulations in the Hudson Valley.

I've been out and about practicing my photography skills and enjoying the sunny lukewarm days at the same time. Snowcover and warm winter light make for nice pictures. Agree about tomorrow. As for Friday, I'll take a 4-6" deal with room for improvement. Temps don't look like an issue, I'd just like to get some of that energy more focused and a little north. We'll see.

1-2" forecast was a fail today, not that it was too surprising based on some of the model guidance (not NAM) which supported snow showers as opposed to widespread steady light snow. At least it wasn't completely snowless with a 25dbz snow squall resulting in a coating.

Just a dusting at my house last night.  The EURO looks good for the end ofthe week, the GFS not so much.  I know, I know, just stating what we are seeing this morning.

Just a dusting at my house last night.  The EURO looks good for the end ofthe week, the GFS not so much.  I know, I know, just stating what we are seeing this morning.

The 12z run doesn't look nearly as good... we'll see where things go from here, I think there's still a chance for a somewhat more amplified low, which would especially help out the lower HV if it does happen, but I'm not hopeful for anything more than 4", if even half of that, in Albany.

At least it's not completely uneventful tonight... LES band training over Albany, getting steady light snow with a coating so far.

How did you make out with the LES in Albany last night?

Had a low of 5 here this morning, sitting at 7 now.

Measured about or a little under 0.3", the heavier snows mostly trained not far to my NW where I've seen reports of over an inch. 2 days passed and there's still a dusting left on all surfaces...

The lowest temperature at KALB was -4 degrees this morning, the coldest I've ever had since tracking weather considering I lived in NE NJ until this fall. I just wish there was at least some decent snow along with this cold... tomorrow's event isn't looking promising for more than a dusting to maybe 1/2". Some models have been suggesting light snow on Monday with the warm front coming through, that would definitely be better than nothing.

The squalls were pretty good (relatively speaking) out here in the hills. They oscillated south and over me for about 30 minutes and I got .5" That excited me in this winter. LOL Then it shifted back north.

.25" from this "storm" tonight. 9 degrees

Thursday morning we got down to -12 here. But we had -19 earlier this month...before the mild period.

Measured about or a little under 0.3", the heavier snows mostly trained not far to my NW where I've seen reports of over an inch. 2 days passed and there's still a dusting left on all surfaces...

The lowest temperature at KALB was -4 degrees this morning, the coldest I've ever had since tracking weather considering I lived in NE NJ until this fall. I just wish there was at least some decent snow along with this cold... tomorrow's event isn't looking promising for more than a dusting to maybe 1/2". Some models have been suggesting light snow on Monday with the warm front coming through, that would definitely be better than nothing.

Archived