• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Hudson Valley Thread

What a mess. On the drive home last night it was raining in the city, slushy in the Bronx and it hit freezing right at the Westchester line and was freezing rain and sleet for the next 30 miles. Road conditions got progressively worse as I went and finally got really "fun" around Yorktown. When I got home it was mixed snow and zr/sleet at my house and stayed that way until around midnight when it turned to plain rain. When I went out this morning it was 3-4" of the wettest, heaviest glue we've had in two years. All I did was open a drain from the driveway to the street so there's somewhere for the runoff to go and I left.

More on Saturday!! :snowing:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, just flipped over here too. Driveway on a hill, big mess this morning. Snow blower was useless as it game out the chute like glop. Shoveling was a heart attack waiting to happen. Took 20 min to get my wife's car from garage to the street, jamming my way up the hill and rolling back down. But my persistence (and her 4 wh. drive) payed off. She's at work and I can go back to bed and take a nap. I guess I finished up between 5-6" for the storm but the ZR really matted it down.Maybe Saturday will be another 3-6" (of fluff this time) :santa:

Try spraying it with Pam cooking spray, my brother and father have used this trick for years with decent results on both single and two stage blowers.

I have a stone driveway...FTL. Both my wife and I have 4WD though but it's kind of like driving on a bobsled run. I had 5.5" in the yard this morning but as you point out, it was matted down a bit.

on and off lgt-mod snow all morning..

Finally looks like winter!! And this weekend looks wintry as well. 2-4??

I am not really too excited by the storm this weekend.. My concern is we get fringed up here as the coastal low energy transfer takes place. Our best hope is to have an over-performing vort from the initial low pressure system as it swings through ahead of the surface low developing off the coast.

I would be happy to get a refresher of 2" out of this.

I am not really too excited by the storm this weekend.. My concern is we get fringed up here as the coastal low energy transfer takes place. Our best hope is to have an over-performing vort from the initial low pressure system as it swings through ahead of the surface low developing off the coast.

I would be happy to get a refresher of 2" out of this.

^^^^^^^^^^

:clap:

You had a good idea in the NYC forum for a thread we could post in there but it doesn't look like it worked out as easily as it should have.

Looks like John created a sub forum for us.. It just makes sense for ppl in the NW burbs to post together rather than 3 different forums. Anyone from Sussex right through Danbury are usually gonna have similar outcomes especially when it comes to marginal events. So lets all boost up the new thread for us! :)

Looks like John created a sub forum for us.. It just makes sense for ppl in the NW burbs to post together rather than 3 different forums. Anyone from Sussex right through Danbury are usually gonna have similar outcomes especially when it comes to marginal events. So lets all boost up the new thread for us! :)

I'll be sure to post some obs from the next storm in there.. I like the NW burbs concept, especially in these marginal events where the metro area gets shut out.

Hey guys, quick question. Originally was supposed to head way upstate this weekend, but had to cancel. I still want to head north a bit tomorrow and see a decent amount of snow, something my son can sleighride in, maybe a town nearby, etc. any recommendations?

You don't have any snow down in Rockland??

Thomas Bull Memorial Park here in Orange County has tubing/sleigh riding/ice skating etc.. Its been awhile since I've been there but I'm pretty sure they still have it. Since he lives in Montgomery IrishRob might be able to answer it better..

Hey guys, quick question. Originally was supposed to head way upstate this weekend, but had to cancel. I still want to head north a bit tomorrow and see a decent amount of snow, something my son can sleighride in, maybe a town nearby, etc. any recommendations?

Yeah, http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25..

We have 4-5" of snow/ice making for fast sledding I would presume. While the tubing hill isn't open yet there is a smaller sledding hill that is now available since Mother Nature provided some snow.

Thomas Bull Memorial Park here in Orange County has tubing/sleigh riding/ice skating etc.. Its been awhile since I've been there but I'm pretty sure they still have it. Since he lives in Montgomery IrishRob might be able to answer it better..

Only have like an inch left. Want to go explore and make a day of it basically, to make up for missing out on lake placid.

Yeah, http://www.orangecountynyparks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25..

We have 4-5" of snow/ice making for fast sledding I would presume. While the tubing hill isn't open yet there is a smaller sledding hill that is now available since Mother Nature provided some snow.

Hmmm that might not be a bad idea. Thanks!

You'll get to see the snow guns on the tubing hill although it'll probably be too warm during the day for them to be running. I'd recommend coming up for tubing too once its open next week.

Yeah i probably will, thats not a bad drive for me at all.

I still need to be talked out of driving to lake placid and home in one day tomorrow though. :lol:

Hell, I actually live in the park :)

Archived