• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Hudson Valley Thread

The squalls were pretty good (relatively speaking) out here in the hills. They oscillated south and over me for about 30 minutes and I got .5" That excited me in this winter. LOL Then it shifted back north.

.25" from this "storm" tonight. 9 degrees

Thursday morning we got down to -12 here. But we had -19 earlier this month...before the mild period.

I'm still new to the Albany area so I'm not too familiar with the climate around this region, but it's the second time I had accumulating snow from LES this winter, the first was in late November when a snow squall dumped a quick 0.1". We're at the point again where minimal events like today and Monday are actually exciting... there was a decent stretch of wintry wx in late Dec-mid Jan but I wasn't here to experience it; technically I only saw 6" this season so far.

While on the subject of minimal events, the Monday potential looks interesting and for once is within the 84 hour range and still there on the models... still some disagreement with the models but most target NY state for widespread light snow ahead of the warm front, perhaps producing at least an inch or more. The 0z NAM has a widespread area of 0.25"+ precip totals although I would think it's the typical wet bias especially in the less reliable NAM longer range. Hopefully this potential actually verifies instead of busting on the low side.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple inches looks realistic on Monday now around this Upper Hudson area based on the NAM and GFS. It may turn to -FZRA or drizzle and that could linger into early Tuesday before we climb above 32.

I'm still new to the Albany area so I'm not too familiar with the climate around this region, but it's the second time I had accumulating snow from LES this winter, the first was in late November when a snow squall dumped a quick 0.1". We're at the point again where minimal events like today and Monday are actually exciting... there was a decent stretch of wintry wx in late Dec-mid Jan but I wasn't here to experience it; technically I only saw 6" this season so far.

While on the subject of minimal events, the Monday potential looks interesting and for once is within the 84 hour range and still there on the models... still some disagreement with the models but most target NY state for widespread light snow ahead of the warm front, perhaps producing at least an inch or more. The 0z NAM has a widespread area of 0.25"+ precip totals although I would think it's the typical wet bias especially in the less reliable NAM longer range. Hopefully this potential actually verifies instead of busting on the low side.

A couple inches looks realistic on Monday now around this Upper Hudson area based on the NAM and GFS. It may turn to -FZRA or drizzle and that could linger into early Tuesday before we climb above 32.

Today's models especially upped chances of seeing a few inches around the area. There's the usual model split as always, this time between the GFS/ECM with about 1/2" to 1" in Albany, to the UKMET/CMC/NAM with at least 2-3" here and higher amounts to the NW. I'm currently thinking a blend of the two with 1-2" but it could go either way. Regardless of how much snow falls though it does easily look to turn to sleet and then freezing drizzle overnight.

The snow started around here a little over an hour ago, light snow falling with a coating on many surfaces. 

Sidenote, ever wonder when we have these events how many people actually know what moderate and/or heavy snow really is?

Many ppl always exaggerate their snowfall rates.

between 1/4-1/2 mile vis. I believe is Mod Snow

Under 1/4 mile vis I believe is Hvy Snow

Snow ended a while ago with a total of 1", decent for this year's standards but less than expected. Last time I checked p-type was sleet.

...followed 2 days later with a torch with 50s... followed 1 day later by more cold and potential lake effect snow. Easily one of the most interesting time frames of this whole winter so far (aside from late December).

Thank goodness for this front. :thumbsup: Very well-defined boundary on the surface. Temps dropping rapidly, 47/42 after a high of 53F this morning.

Aside from a couple of small piles the snow is now completely gone from my yard for the first time since 12/24, I know, shocking news, right?  The tubing hill in the park where I live took a real beating too, they were just starting to get a good base going on the entire hill finally last week.  Glad my sons played pickup hockey on the outdoor rink there last weekend because thats back to being a pool again for the time being at least.

Went from 50s, heavy rain and very strong winds in the early morning, back to winter with 20s and lake effect snow in the evening... had a few decent snow squalls earlier with a fresh coating, the band is stalled just to my north but is apparently expected to drop south again later tonight.

Hope everyone's been enjoying our daily early-morning coating of snow as the runup to Friday. Looks like a 6-12" deal... man, I wish that low could come a few dozen miles west. Some folks in SNE wouldn't be happy I'm sure, but if this is big event for the winter, I'd like to beef up QPF locally.

Agree 100% with all of the above.

Archived