joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 13-16 ULL snow threat and obs

Ginx snewx

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad start to your season, with the totals you have listed so far, altough don't you normally have higher totals by this time? Obviously this past weekends torch did a number on what could have been something big for you and others.

What? I can't concentrate with your new avatar staring at me. Probably a little low but it's been ok. Haven't had a lot of snow but have had the ground covered consistently. We lost it for about 12 hrs yesterday but we got everything covered up again last night, 3-3.5" here at the house with the 4.5-5" at 2k. With the cold, wind and snow, it's full on Winter here.

9/5 and broken overcast here. Flurries/Squalls were aiming more SE today and settled into the Western Catskills. I had to go down to the county courthouse in Delhi, NY...westernmost Catskills and a lovely fog of light snow enveloped all of the hills around there.

Here I logged in 2 inches from the overnight event...best guess truthfully with all the blowing. Could be a repeat later tomorrow according to Andy.

11/3, flurries. Tough day on man and machine. Very windy @2k with occasional snsh and temps holding between 10-12*. Can't wait to get out there again around dawn, hope the wind stays gusty.

Back from a few chilly runs over at Mt. Wachusett. Some trails were pretty icy due to the rain, but still good cover. The ones they were making snow on were quite nice and powdery. Just damn coooolllllddd!! My car thermo said 14 at the base lot. Winds were pretty good, probably 10-20mph off and on. It was just painful skiing under the snow guns. Very empty there. We (the boy and I) parked in row 1.

From Ryan's blog on last night's snow for those that might be interested

<LI>Some new snow reports from some of our weather watchers... 1.5" Tolland... 1" Willington. Off and on light snow continues through the night. 21 hours ago

So, does he have a secret agent in Tolland, or was he giving you a shout out on air, while dissing you on AmWx?

So, does he have a secret agent in Tolland, or was he giving you a shout out on air, while dissing you on AmWx?

That's not my report and neither was the 2 inch report from Tolland. The last report I gave last night at 8:00 was 1/2 an inch and that's when all hell broke loose.

Radar last night was not doing the snow justice around here. I have no idea why..other than maybe we were upsloping a bit?

That's not my report and neither was the 2 inch report from Tolland. The last report I gave was 1/2 an inch and that's when all hell broke loose.

Still not sure why anyone would think you would inflate 0.5" of snow... not like you said 6 or 7"...

Please post your totals in the future. Fight the power!

Still not sure why anyone would think you would inflate 0.5" of snow... not like you said 6 or 7"...

Please post your totals in the future. Fight the power!

We all jumped on him on purpose last night...lol. We knew he would become irate...it was funny. I'm sure he can take the joke now that its over.

If you think someone is really and truly not believing you, I've found a picture is worth even more than a thousand words. I'll snap a lot of pics in marginal events....such as the late Feb event last year where we got a foot and 10 miles away and 500 feet lower got a rainstorm....or the MLK storm which was marginal.

We all jumped on him on purpose last night...lol. We knew he would become irate...it was funny. I'm sure he can take the joke now that its over.

If you think someone is really and truly not believing you, I've found a picture is worth even more than a thousand words. I'll snap a lot of pics in marginal events....such as the late Feb event last year where we got a foot and 10 miles away and 500 feet lower got a rainstorm....or the MLK storm which was marginal.

LOL..I admit..you guys pissed me off last nite..but I truly believe some people didn't believe me.esp since the radar over this area didn't show the heavier snow that was falling.

Any idea why that was?

LOL..I admit..you guys pissed me off last nite..but I truly believe some people didn't believe me.esp since the radar over this area didn't show the heavier snow that was falling.

Any idea why that was?

A lot of it was low level stuff for about the first 2-3 hours it happened. There was a strong LL convergence boundary going on and some of the stuff was probably staying under the radar...there could have been minor upslope if some of the W winds were turning more SW off the valley.

The same thing was happening in ORH county....Hubbdave got like 3/4 of an inch while I got a dusting and there wasn't all that much on radar....there were a few heavier echoes, but a lot of it wasn't showing up. He's near the spine of the hills...maybe just barely W side while I'm on the east slopes of the ORH hills, so I wasn't benefiting at all from any mesoscale upslope that might have been occurring (even if veyr minorly) on a W wind.

A lot of it was low level stuff for about the first 2-3 hours it happened. There was a strong LL convergence boundary going on and some of the stuff was probably staying under the radar...there could have been minor upslope if some of the W winds were turning more SW off the valley.

The same thing was happening in ORH county....Hubbdave got like 3/4 of an inch while I got a dusting and there wasn't all that much on radar....there were a few heavier echoes, but a lot of it wasn't showing up. He's near the spine of the hills...maybe just barely W side while I'm on the east slopes of the ORH hills, so I wasn't benefiting at all from any mesoscale upslope that might have been occurring (even if veyr minorly) on a W wind.

That must be it..because there was def more snow in town here above 700 feet than lower spots...and it wasn't due to elevation since everyone was plenty cold enough.

I mean we have enough here for me to take the girls sledding tonight, plows out plowing and me to shovel this AM

Archived