wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan 2012 Banter Thread

LongBeachSurfFreak

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was just checking out the monthly highs/lows in alaska for barrow and fairbanks, my god it has been brutal up there. Barely a break from -30 and colder, with many times at -40 and fairbanks dipped to -51. Just brutal.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/01/30/bitter-cold-records-broken-in-alaska-all-time-coldest-record-nearly-broken-but-murphys-law-intervenes/

lol I did.. as hard as it is to believe... but I spent a lot of time as a kid in Florida since all my grandparents lived there.. It must have gone to my head

lol...I honestly wasnt asking because of your hatred of cold, lol....I was doing some reminiscing when I went to get my haircut about Nanuet, the mall, Mr Arcade, and that sorta stuff....I cant really find any good pictures of the interior of the mall in the 80s/early 90s. I do remember playing king of the mountain in the parking lot during the winter of 93-94 though lol

I think most of the NYC metro area will see close to normal seasonal snowfall by the time May 1, 2012 arrives...it doesn't take a hell of a lot to get there...

I think most of the NYC metro area will see close to normal seasonal snowfall by the time May 1, 2012 arrives...it doesn't take a hell of a lot to get there...

1 KU storm could do it. It could be 50-60F and rain/dry for nearly the entire winter season, but all you need is a couple of days and a major snowstorm and we hit our average or even go above it.

I'm officially in love with Winter 2011-2012, that is all.

I just fail to see how cold weather is enjoyable, especially if it's not going to snow.

Enduring snowpack, frozen ponds and lakes, daytime temperatures in the 20's with frigid feeling nights. Thats what winter should be! (albeit infrequent around here)

This entire winter has felt like we've been stuck in November.

Sorry for the whine. This is getting aggravating.

I hope you're right and agree there is still a chance. Right now it looks to be mid Feb on. Unfortunately were we to reach seasonal norms it sure won't be in a satisfying manner as winter will essentially be condensed to a two week spurt..

1 KU storm could do it. It could be 50-60F and rain/dry for nearly the entire winter season, but all you need is a couple of days and a major snowstorm and we hit our average or even go above it.

Most of the area averages between 25 and 30 inches of snow. That would have to be one hell of a KU to bring us to average or dare I say go above it.

Most of the area averages between 25 and 30 inches of snow. That would have to be one hell of a KU to bring us to average or dare I say go above it.

I bet one day we'll see a KU that gives us all 30"+, maybe even a monster 3' type storm that would make the Blizzard of 96 look like your ordinary run of the mill snowstorm.

I bet one day we'll see a KU that gives us all 30"+, maybe even a monster 3' type storm that would make the Blizzard of 96 look like your ordinary run of the mill snowstorm.

There were several chances for that to happen in February 2010.

Yeah I think we'd probably need 2 major storms to bring us to average, unless we're looking at a historic 20+ incher.

There are a few ways for us to get to average.

1. One Major KU, 20-24"+ event

2. Two MECS 12-14" events

3. 4 SEC events, each about 6"

4. Several Nickel and dime events (2-4 3-5" type snows)

5. A couple nickel and dime events accompanied by at least a MECS.

There are a few ways for us to get to average.

1. One Major KU, 20-24"+ event

2. Two MECS 12-14" events

3. 4 SEC events, each about 6"

4. Several Nickel and dime events (2-4 3-5" type snows)

5. A couple nickel and dime events accompanied by at least a MECS.

I think it's going to have to be 1 or maybe 2 given that we are dealing with a pretty small window here.

I think it's going to have to be 1 or maybe 2 given that we are dealing with a pretty small window here.

I'd agree. This is not the type of pattern where we've got weeks of sustained cold and nickel & dime 3-6" snows piling up. The pattern for mid feb theoretically could produce 1 or 2 on his list (statistics argue strongly against #1 this winter). Then of course we still have the first couple weeks of March for something significant.

I'd agree. This is not the type of pattern where we've got weeks of sustained cold and nickel & dime 3-6" snows piling up. The pattern for mid feb theoretically could produce 1 or 2 on his list (statistics argue strongly against #1 this winter). Then of course we still have the first couple weeks of March for something significant.

IF, and this is a big IF, the ECMWF is right with the block; and PNA ridge, the #1 (the HECS) can certainly happen just like 2006. I think that's what we all truly want, but I would GLADLY take #2 in this horrible season.

It would be hilarious if we get #1 in a season like this, frankly.

Archived