northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Jan 2012 Banter Thread

LongBeachSurfFreak

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just wonder if a decent storm could bail us out for a winter that's nearly on par with 2001-2002. We are struggling to get to freezing in LATE JANUARY, that's insane. We not see a temperature below freezing until next week (crazy) and given how warm it's expected to be for the next few days, we might see major blooming going on around here. If it wasn't for the calendar, I'd think the last couple of months were early Spring.

I'm pretty sure it shows all ranked events. Not just the top 45. If there was something between a 1 and a 1.18 it would have been included.

Random question. On the NESIS scale, the lowest event is a 1.19 out of 45 Northeast snow events which is the 1/25-26 1987 storm. Is there a storm ranked even lower but still ranks at least a 1 value on the NESIS scale.

Right because only 45 storms have occured that would be register on the NESIS scale.

Table 2: Ranks 45 high-impact snowstorms that affected the Northeast urban corridor. If there were actually 47 storms that got a 1.0 or greater why would they leave 2 off? I'm assuming the 45 are all the storms that have been graded. It just so happens that #45 got a 1.19

http://www.ncdc.noaa...d-ice/rsi/nesis

This is the link I got that from though, it doesn't go under 1.19 for a rank.

Temps stayed below guidance for the most part topping out in the upper 30s. With the stiff NW breeze its quite chilly out there. Tomorrow's 15 degree jump and lack of wind should make for a very pleasant final day of January. Knowing there's a good chance for a shift to colder weather and potential for snow makes it that much better.

Temps stayed below guidance for the most part topping out in the upper 30s. With the stiff NW breeze its quite chilly out there. Tomorrow's 15 degree jump and lack of wind should make for a very pleasant final day of January. Knowing there's a good chance for a shift to colder weather and potential for snow makes it that much better.

Looks like our temps might rise overnight. 40s/50s just to our south.

34 here, and BTW can someone tell me why puddles freeze seemingly way above 32 even with a warm ground.....yesterday I saw a pussle with a skim of ice forming at 38 and the same goes for frost almost at 40.

Cold air sinks, so the air at the ground is the coldest, but air temperature is measured higher at about 6 feet, where the air is warmer. So the air right at ground level may be 32, but at 6 feet 35.

37 right now at LGA (proxy for KNYC right now), we will have to see if it gets to 32 before the warm front/southerly winds kick in. Right now winds are light out of the west, which generally limits much cooling at night here regardless of season. It's going to be close though...

If we do NOT hit 32 in the next 8 or so hours, we could go clear through Sunday without hitting it.

37 right now at LGA (proxy for KNYC right now), we will have to see if it gets to 32 before the warm front/southerly winds kick in. Right now winds are light out of the west, which generally limits much cooling at night here regardless of season. It's going to be close though...

If we do NOT hit 32 in the next 8 or so hours, we could go clear through Sunday without hitting it.

Yea, pretty crazy. Looks like the superbowl storm will bust as i predicted, i said February 15 is the date. When i was swimming in Maui i made sure to kick start the MJO...

Yea, pretty crazy. Looks like the superbowl storm will bust as i predicted, i said February 15 is the date. When i was swimming in Maui i made sure to kick start the MJO...

Haha nice work. That sounds like a reasonable time period to me too, like Feb 10-20ish.

Regarding our streak, winds have now switched to being out of the SW at LGA, temp is steady at 37. The PWS by me in midtown has creeped up to 42. I've also been keeping an eye on the dewpoints in DC and Philly to our south as they start to rise. DC is at 41/23 right now compared to 47/10 at 5pm. PHL is at 37/16 compared to 40/8 at 5pm.

We are still sitting at 37/10, but lets see if the next hourly ob has an increase in the dewpoint.

A lot folks banking on model runs 200+ hours out. Ugh

A few stray weenies might be banking on a 240hr model prog, and that's to be expected, but if you read up on this forum, most of the quality posters are excited about a much better pattern after the 10th.

A few stray weenies might be banking on a 240hr model prog, and that's to be expected, but if you read up on this forum, most of the quality posters are excited about a much better pattern after the 10th.

...granted its 10 days away,but no local ocm's not even hinting @

the changes that are being discussed here..not last nites or this mornings..

not even a inkling..maybe late this week they might start talking about it.

we need joe cioffi's "joestradamous" to discuss the long range !!

Archived