joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 16-18th Potential Storm

dmc76

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry everyone, didnt really specify. i cant show the actual euro map but i made one quick, light blue is .3"-.5" dark is .5"+

sout of pink is mix/rain to snow in places like milwaukee and chicago. all according to the 00z EURO...

If this verifies, Toronto may do better than I originally thought. Here's hoping!

GFS continues to trend flatter with the H5 wave, which in turn is making for a weaker sfc wave tracking further south.

It shows about 1-3" with that weak wave, cooler.

But after this last storm.....i rather just wait till now-casting. 1-2 days before I was shown to get 3-6" and in the end I barely got a inch. :(

this is a crap shot winter.....2012-13 ftw. I think the chances are really high now for a new record low snowfall.

I give up.

It shows about 1-3" with that weak wave, cooler.

But after this last storm.....i rather just wait till now-casting. 1-2 days before I was shown to get 3-6" and in the end I barely got a inch. :(

this is a crap shot winter.....2012-13 ftw. I think the chances are really high now for a new record low snowfall.

I give up.

In fairness though, there were only a couple of models for a couple of runs showing that 3-6" for us. The consensus overall was that we weren't going to see a lot. You seem to be implying yesterday was a bust, which I cannot agree with.

That being said, I do sympathize. I think the northern edge of the snow shield yesterday got to about the 407 and died. But the models, especially the RUC, did a pretty good job of showing that harsh NW-SE cline in snowfall amounts.

In fairness though, there were only a couple of models for a couple of runs showing that 3-6" for us. The consensus overall was that we weren't going to see a lot. You seem to be implying yesterday was a bust, which I cannot agree with.

That being said, I do sympathize. I think the northern edge of the snow shield yesterday got to about the 407 and died. But the models, especially the RUC, did a pretty good job of showing that harsh NW-SE cline in snowfall amounts.

Yeah, I think it was the NAM that was showing the higher amounts.

Huffman's weather model site doesn't seem to be updating today - it still has Fridays 6z and 12z GFS - so i'm not sure what models are now showing for tuesday.

It was a bust for me. I barely got a inch and places just 10 minutes south got double that.

HRRR and NAM over estimated things. I'm sticking with now-casting.

For this storm it all depends when the front cuts thru and how the southern stream reacts.

I'll be back one day....when we see a decent storm of over 5+cm.

Till then enjoy the cold weekend man!

It was a bust for me. I barely got a inch and places just 10 minutes south got double that.

HRRR and NAM over estimated things. I'm sticking with now-casting.

For this storm it all depends when the front cuts thru and how the southern stream reacts.

I'll be back one day....when we see a decent storm of over 5+cm.

Till then enjoy the cold weekend man!

Yeah, there was big difference in snowfall amounts from downtown Toronto to areas north of Steeles Ave. As of 7-8 am yesterday, the downtown weather station at the U of T already recorded an inch (2.5 cm). The snow didn't end until lunch time. At least 2" (5 cm) in total fell in the downtown core.

As for this potential event, a southward shift of 100-200 miles (from last night's 00z Euro) will make a big difference for the Toronto area (rain vs. snow). It will be interesting to see if future model runs trend southward.

Yeah, there was big difference in snowfall amounts from downtown Toronto to areas north of Steeles Ave. As of 7-8 am yesterday, the downtown weather station at the U of T already recorded an inch (2.5 cm). The snow didn't end until lunch time. At least 2" (5 cm) in total fell in the downtown core.

As for this potential event, a southward shift of 100-200 miles (from last night's 00z Euro) will make a big difference for the Toronto area (rain vs. snow). It will be interesting to see if future model runs trend southward.

12z GGEM still likes tracking the sfc low through the thumb of MI.

Where do the Euro track the low??

From a glance at the Penn State e-wall depiction of the 12z Euro run, which has poor temporal resolution, it looks like it tracks the sfc low through central Missouri and Illinois , up through South Bend, Indiana, then through mid-lower Michigan to about Saginaw. The sfc low is over South Bend at around 12z Tuesday (72 hours out). At 12z Tuesday, the 540-dam line is centered over Chicago, Grand Rapids, and just north of St. Louis; the 850-hPa 0C line is generally just south of the 540-dam line.

Archived