Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is causing the gap in the radar between the two precipitation shields? I'm just curious how the lift is fragmented into those two areas of concentrated pcpn? I expected more of a solid wall like most SWFE.

I think intial WAA burst, and now some good WAA and more ATL inflow as low develops and moves up.

What is causing the gap in the radar between the two precipitation shields?  I'm just curious how the lift is fragmented into those two areas of concentrated pcpn?  I expected more of a solid wall like most SWFE.

That was expected from a lot of Mets. Andy Tandy in the upstate NY thread had a great post on it the other day.

To try and answer powedefreak's question...there was a bit more snow to the south of ORH than forecast...the Euro was the only model that gave Kevin 1-2" of snow which is what he got...but as for up here...the hills are in an orientation where somehow, the city often is the divider. The WAA always seems to slow when it approaches here...and the hills are the reason why. There is a pretty stour set of ridges just to the SW of ORH, and that might be part of the reason...another might be the spine becomes a little bit more "upright" in this area so upslope may help enhance the cooling...those tenths of a degree can probably matter in these setups...but either way, its fun to see one over perform. I've seen events where it doesn't matter as much.

Sweet, thanks dude. Glad CT Blizz at least got something. But yeah there must be some topographic reason why (probably the more "upright" as opposed to rolling/smoothed) climo favors ORH north and not further south into NE CT. I mean North Woodstock to Union to Tolland all has some decent 700-1,000ft elevation but it just seems like these SWFE always end up more more profitable up your way. Although I'm sure even a few minutes of latitude helps in these situations so you can't really pin it down on one factor... just a bunch of small factors that go into really favoring the ORH north region at least in that finger of hills from NE CT north into SNH.

Absolutely ripping now in Rindge, and the temperature has ticked down to 29.8F on the school weather station. Basically a whiteout as I look out the window, and incredibly windy, not sure why AFN hasn't reported higher winds because it is downright dangerous here. CAD holding well here in the Monadnocks.

LOL...but BGM started as light rain.

At the medical school in Worcester switched over about 15 minutes ago to something other than snow. I still hear sleet bouncing off the windows, but cannot vouch for 100% sleet or a sleet/rain mix.

We are mixing with snow grains here now...still no sleet pellets...but the snow grains are definitely noticeable and vis has come up.

I think intial WAA burst, and now some good WAA and more ATL inflow as low develops and moves up.

Ahhh yeah that's what I figured. The southern shield definitely has echos moving on the classic SE low level jet inflow type of look to it.

It was just interesting because I never really thought about it... just assumed the classic concentrated wall then dryslot like SWFE climo.

You guys down in MA are definitely going to do better than up here with this first batch as I think we are between the best areas of lift (on off the west, other off to the southeast)... but this was modeled pretty well up here with a QPF minimum on the first wave. We'll likely play catch up with the upslope tomorrow as parameters still look really good once that low bombs into the 970s between here and Vim Toot.

Wow, did my guess bust low for ORH..lol. Never thought 4", but it's funny how the euro hinted at it. I think the map I posted earlier was telling.

Actually, I guessed for the airport Will is like 3-4 miles north, but still was low. I always forget he lives on the weenie section of town.

Nice the snow held on longer for you guys! However, its the dead of winter, and the fact this rain snow line is so far north and inland is absolutely pathetic for 1/12, and how pathetic this winter is that this is a win.

I counted my sleet pellets as a victory, and really happy for all of you that got snow today!!

Archived