• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pattern Change.

SpartyOn

Its been talked about and debated in multiple threads. So here we are finally a light at the end of tunnel. Hints of Alaskin ridging and a neutral PNA, a slowing AO, shifting of the PVs and a possible Greenland Block! Now if only the general guidance was in slightly better agreement. Lets look a just a couple basic plots then ill let you guys run with it..

1st king ECMWF 12z. Later hours show a hint of a Alaska Ridge of some sorts..

00zeuro500mbHGHTNH240.gif

The 12z GFS..

gfsUS_850_temp_216.gif

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting very excited. Im not worried about season total snowfall, or big snowstorms, or whatever. I can hope for those of course, and theres plenty of time to finalize those season snowfall numbers or get that big storm in the next 3+ months. But all I want now is some cold and snowcover. So far on this season, Ive had 5.8" of snow imby, but a shovel has not been needed once (have had to brush the car off numerous times though). The deepest snowcover imby 2", and it melted in a day. We have officially been in the teens at DTW just 3 times. In recent weeks I have been ENJOYING our several DUSTINGS of snow. This all after a winter that was white from nearly start to finish last year.

BRING ON COLD AND WHITE GROUND! :sled:

I am getting very excited. Im not worried about season total snowfall, or big snowstorms, or whatever. I can hope for those of course, and theres plenty of time to finalize those season snowfall numbers or get that big storm in the next 3+ months. But all I want now is some cold and snowcover. So far on this season, Ive had 5.8" of snow imby, but a shovel has not been needed once (have had to brush the car off numerous times though). The deepest snowcover imby 2", and it melted in a day. We have officially been in the teens at DTW just 3 times. In recent weeks I have been ENJOYING our several DUSTINGS of snow. This all after a winter that was white from nearly start to finish last year.

BRING ON COLD AND WHITE GROUND! :sled:

This is my attitude at this point. 30" from this point onward would technically make this a "bad" winter in terms of total snowfall. But man would it not feel that way. This winter 30" over 3 months sounds like 100" over the same period. Almost implausibly good.

Long-term write up from BUF. Pattern change in Feb?

IT APPEARS THAT THIS NEXT PUSH OF COLD AIR WILL BE ANOTHER TRANSIENT ONE...WITH NO FUNDAMENTAL PATTERN CHANGE TAKING PLACE. LONG TERM ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE INDICATES THE TROUGH QUICKLY LIFTING OUT AFTER A FEW DAYS AND ALLOWING ZONAL FLOW AND PACIFIC AIR TO FLOOD EAST. THE

AO/NAO WILL BE TRENDING LOWER OVER THE NEXT 1-2 WEEKS...BUT STILL NOT NEGATIVE BY ANY MEANS AND LITTLE EVIDENCE OF ANY LASTING HIGH LATITUDE BLOCKING IS NOTED ON THE GFS OR ECMWF OVER THE NEXT 10

DAYS. IT DOES APPEAR A PATTERN CHANGE MAY HAPPEN DOWN THE ROAD THAT MIGHT FAVOR -NAO/-AO FOLLOWING A SUDDEN STRATOSPHERIC WARMING EVENT WHICH IS JUST ENDING...BUT THAT PATTERN CHANGE IS PROBABLY STILL 2-3 WEEKS AWAY. UNTIL THEN...ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES ON AVERAGE WILL

LIKELY CONTINUE.

IT APPEARS THAT THIS NEXT PUSH OF COLD AIR WILL BE ANOTHER TRANSIENT ONE...WITH NO FUNDAMENTAL PATTERN CHANGE TAKING PLACE. LONG TERM ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE INDICATES THE TROUGH QUICKLY LIFTING OUT AFTER A FEW DAYS AND ALLOWING ZONAL FLOW AND PACIFIC AIR TO FLOOD EAST. THE

AO/NAO WILL BE TRENDING LOWER OVER THE NEXT 1-2 WEEKS...BUT STILL NOT NEGATIVE BY ANY MEANS AND LITTLE EVIDENCE OF ANY LASTING HIGH LATITUDE BLOCKING IS NOTED ON THE GFS OR ECMWF OVER THE NEXT 10

DAYS. IT DOES APPEAR A PATTERN CHANGE MAY HAPPEN DOWN THE ROAD THAT MIGHT FAVOR -NAO/-AO FOLLOWING A SUDDEN STRATOSPHERIC WARMING EVENT WHICH IS JUST ENDING...BUT THAT PATTERN CHANGE IS PROBABLY STILL 2-3 WEEKS AWAY. UNTIL THEN...ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES ON AVERAGE WILL

LIKELY CONTINUE.

Yea..I saw this. Lol. If thats the case lets just coast right into spring. Its sunny and 40 ish today. I can say for sure Im ready!

Current North American snow cover says it all.

A pattern change can't come any sooner. I mean even WCanada is boiling.

Despite the horrible Winter of 01-02, Toronto still managed to get one storm over 6" and the same deal in 06-07 but this is was not the case in 09-10, lets see. You know its been a horrible Winter when there's hardly been any LES either, just sad.

fixed.

chasing season starts after that. Early April tornadoes FTW.

Haha, yeah probably. Even though we've seen some April snows in the last 5 years. I wish I could have seen that tornado in Kenosha County January 7, 2008. Did see the damage first hand the next day though.

Just got back from the UP... Rode 400 miles on depth ranging between 10-20 inches. Still it was weak compared to normal. We had to really worry about where to ride and always had to ask about conditions.

Theres like 2 inches in Paradise, Michigan.

LIKELY CONTINUE.

2-3 weeks from now is still January.

When you say the same, what do you mean by that? How can you pick out quick hitting torch/cold shots on weeklies?

Generally average to above average, with any sig torch/cold events being limited to a few days. I have 12hr increments at 500/700/850/surface through 762hrs.

Most sig/long lasting cold shot is Jan. 16-20th. Looks like a -PNA signal in early Feb.

Ive been on weather boards for 8-9 years now. The term blowtorch was coined several years back for record or near record highs in the 60s in mid-winter, it has now completely lost its meaning. Theres no difference between mild and torch anymore.

you're right, over 20 degrees above average is no big thing.

2-3 weeks from now is still January.

3 weeks from now you might as well say its Feb

If what BUF says verifies and the real cold is delayed, we could be looking a something almost historic in regards to snowfall deficits for select areas. Which IMo is remarkable given the expectations of this Winter.

Side note. Detroit has not been below norm in the temp department since April 2011.

Archived